Jono Bacon Thinks About A Hybrid Desktop With GNOME Shell Atop Mac OS X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johnc View Post
    Completely bizarre. The Linux DEs are its biggest weak point, why would you want to run them elsewhere?

It's amazing how many in the community are so out of touch with reality. It explains why we never get anywhere.
    As someone who has used both platforms for years, I don't think it's all that bizarre. Gnome can hold its own against OS X, which is far from being some Gold Standard of interfaces. Actaully, it doesn't sound all that different than the wubi thing Ubuntu used to have.

The real weak point of Linux is its roster of Linux-unique applications. They're boring and old hat. When Linux users buy Macs they find out that the platform offers better, more innovative, more imaginative and more useful applications than either Linux or Windows.

We tag any association, however tenuous, of two or more people with at least one shared interest as a "community". There is no single Linux community and never will be. It's a bunch of people doing what they want to do. We're never going focus on one goal, so we're never going to "get anywhere" that way.

Comment

If Apple developers/users/managers wouldn´t be a bunch of wankers and the would be really as innovative and cool as they like to think of themself.. well they would already adopt/create a linux distro. But coolness/innovative_thinking doesn´t help you make dough. Yuppie yuppie

Comment

Originally posted by buzzrobot View Post

The real weak point of Linux is its roster of Linux-unique applications. They're boring and old hat. When Linux users buy Macs they find out that the platform offers better, more innovative, more imaginative and more useful applications than either Linux or Windows.
        For most users, there is no lack of sufficient applications in Linux. We had/have a few Macs, but I was never satisfied. No real long term support. Repairabillity now close to zero. Prices too high. Closed source not at all trustworthy in terms of user data protection. Very limited if you need a work around for anything and want change f.i. desktop appearance and many things under the hood. Adapter stupidity. I could go on. Such things are way more important to me than 'good design' (the mentioned limitations are actually rather examples of bad design).

Comment

As someone who has used both platforms for years, I don't think it's all that bizarre. Gnome can hold its own against OS X, which is far from being some Gold Standard of interfaces. Actaully, it doesn't sound all that different than the wubi thing Ubuntu used to have.

We tag any association, however tenuous, of two or more people with at least one shared interest as a "community". There is no single Linux community and never will be. It's a bunch of people doing what they want to do. We're never going focus on one goal, so we're never going to "get anywhere" that way.
          GNU/Linux I can see but Windows? As a longtime Mac OS X user who has recently upgraded to Windows 10 and Ubuntu 16.04, I couldn't disagree more.
          Mac OS X is completely blant and uninspired compared to the new crop of Windows. Mac OS X upgrades seldom change much or even add exciting new applications and they often break things (see the SMTP bug that was included in Yosemite and never truly fixed).

Comment

When i read this article i checked the calendar, to make sure it wasn't April Fools day... it isnt, and the guy i obviously fucked in the head! And how can he say that Apple makes good hardware? Most apple laptops are 1/2 years behind in terms of performance and cost a tonne more just for the awful apple mark on the back. In fact, only rich US citizen are still buying apple pcs. Hardware support (usb devices, printers etc) is much better on linux.
            Security is better on linux. Bur expecially: Apple is the biggest antagonist to software. Why would you support them?
            Also "former Ubuntu community manager" tells alot about Canonical and how much they care about users.

Is this sarcasm?

Comment

Originally posted by Cape View Post
              When i read this article i checked the calendar, to make sure it wasn't April Fools day... it isnt, and the guy i obviously fucked in the head! And how can he say that Apple makes good hardware? Most apple laptops are 1/2 years behind in terms of performance and cost a tonne more just for the awful apple mark on the back. In fact, only rich US citizen are still buying apple pcs. Hardware support (usb devices, printers etc) is much better on linux.
              Security is better on linux. Bur expecially: Apple is the biggest antagonist to software. Why would you support them?
              Also "former Ubuntu community manager" tells alot about Canonical and how much they care about users.

Is this sarcasm?
              The answer is where he comes from: Canonical, which is a company that has operated with misplaced Mac envy for ~ 6 years now starting by putting the window buttons on the wrong side before flagrantly copying the OS X interface with Unity.

Comment

Funny, using an OS as a base that's extremely slow and insecure compared to current BSD or Linux... I'd rather have a Desktop Environment that works as well as OS X with a modern Kernel and userland (I much prefer GNU) underneath.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                  Completely bizarre. The Linux DEs are its biggest weak point, why would you want to run them elsewhere?

It's amazing how many in the community are so out of touch with reality. It explains why we never get anywhere.
                  Not to mention that you can run many open source apps already on Mac OS. Some of them are actually very well done. We also have HomeBrew for utilities and a bunch of other goodies. Python and everything associated with it also runs very well on a Mac. In a nut shell I have to agree with another poster, these people are grossly out of touch. People buy Macs these days because they can have a UNIX environment with a user land and desktop environment that doesn't suck. Most people going the Linux route aren't focused on the DE, it is rather Linux's other capabilities that are attractive.

Comment

Just go buy yourself a pre-configured Linux laptop and stop being an Apple fan.

Comment

Originally posted by mike4 View Post
                      Yea true and I would be rather interested in the vice versa. A open OSX compatible desktop on Linux or Darwin.

This exists, it's called gnustep, there is also an attempt at making a desktop called etoile.

Comment

Working...
                      X