Linux Foundation No Longer Lets Individual Members Elect Directors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by unixfan2001 View Post
    And I still very much doubt today's licensing has anything to do with it. Linux just happened to be released at the right time, when the BSDs were falling behind due to broad IP issues and lawsuits such as UNIX System Laboratories, Inc. v. Berkeley Software Design, Inc.

Linux was fresh, unhinged by legal issues (actual issues, not the SCO farce a few years later) and brought a whole new development/management paradigm to the table.

Furthermore, Linux development didn't suffer from quite the same level of conservatism often seen in the BSD community.
    those 25 year old things do not matter now. all companies are working on linux and not on *bsd because they do not want to be abused like when microsoft took freebsd tcp/ip stack without giving anything back and got competitive advantage on poor *bsd guys. the only way companie like to "work on" *bsd is microsoft style: take *bsd and add proprietary shit on top without sharing it back. just look at apple or sony

Comment

Originally posted by SystemCrasher View Post
      Yet, when Sony uses FBSD to run AAA games on PS4 and does not gives a fuck contributing back, it comes to the fact Linux can light up all AMD GPUs, even those used on PS4. And FBSD virtually lacks support for all GCN things at all. And something like this happens virtually everywhere. Let corporations to be greedy nuts, and they're going to be like this, even if it hurts upstream.
      AMD were the ones who supplied the drivers, so they'd probably have a say in the publication of the drivers too.
      Besides, it's a driver specifically tailored towards that one GPU (which is also said to have some very peculiar bugs, such as NOP being broken). One that isn't even available outside the PS4.

Lastly, it's worth noting that the Linux drivers don't have support for the unified memory architecture of the PS4 either. Only Orbis OS and its specialty AMD driver have. The hackers had to reconfigure the GPU to start with more than 16 MB of VRAM.

Maybe someone forgot the lesson, but when BSD devs took some AT&T code, they've got ... sued to the hell by AT&T.
      I already pointed this out. It's, IMHO, the real reason BSD development fell behind in the first place. The legal issues kept it from growing throughout the 80s/90s.

Don't you mind BSDs appeared like 10 years before Linux, but never truly managed to take off?
      See legal issues above.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
        all companies are working on linux and not on *bsd because they do not want to be abused like when microsoft took freebsd tcp/ip stack without giving anything back and got competitive advantage on poor *bsd guys.
        But companies can take BSD and do whatever they want with it and then they don't have to worry about anyone stealing or unfairly 'borrowing' their goodies, so you're half right and half wrong.

the only way companie like to "work on" *bsd is microsoft style: take *bsd and add proprietary shit on top without sharing it back. just look at apple or sony
        Right, I get that you dislike the BSD model, but to say that is is simply not being developed is just wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
          But companies can take BSD and do whatever they want with it and then they don't have to worry about anyone stealing or unfairly 'borrowing' their goodies, so you're half right and half wrong.
          i am 100% right becase they can take bsd, bu they can't put it back, otherwise their competitors will be "stealing or unfairly 'borrowing' their goodies". that is why bsd is in such pathetic state. on the other hand with linux they have to put everything back just as their competitors and noone can be "stealing or unfairly 'borrowing' their goodies"
          Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
          Right, I get that you dislike the BSD model, but to say that is is simply not being developed is just wrong.
          i don't care about models, i am not developing either one. i as end user care about result and result clearly shows linux's model superiority

Comment

i am 100% right becase they can take bsd, bu they can't put it back, otherwise their competitors will be "stealing or unfairly 'borrowing' their goodies". that is why bsd is in such pathetic state. on the other hand with linux they have to put everything back just as their competitors and noone can be "stealing or unfairly 'borrowing' their goodies"
            Except that companies tend to release their code under permissive licenses, particularly under Apache... Those rare times where a company releases under GPL they'll also add in copyright assignment so that they can then sell proprietary versions of the code including your enhancements, where nobody else really can.

The BSDs (Or rather FreeBSD) actually do get significant corporate development from the likes of WhatsApp, Netflix, and iXSystems. Now yes, Sony isn't forced to contribute back, but the difference there is that they took FreeBSD 9 and made massive changes to it and are basically developing off of a full fork, whereas these other companies are keeping close to the releases of FreeBSD and thus the actual force driving contribution by companies which is to say the cost of maintaining code that isn't upstream results in them contributing. Now if Sony had based it off of linux, sure their kernel would be open source, but they wouldn't be pushing it upstream (and so someone would have to come by later and cherry pick code, because the kernel would have been gutted and reshaped just as it was with FreeBSD 9, and thus couldn't just be cleanly merged to upstream) nor would they be releasing any of the actually interesting bits which live in userspace such as PSGL.

You'll also note that much of the actual driver code for linux is under permissive licenses

i don't care about models, i am not developing either one. i as end user care about result and result clearly shows linux's model superiority
            Linux is more popular certainly, and has had significantly more development invested into it as a result of that. However... if that's the measuring stick we're going by then Windows has the superior model because the development effort being poured into it through drivers and related software is significantly higher than for Linux.

Comment

That doesn't make sense, at all. If they're forced to put it back, everyone can "unfairly borrow" their "goodies", as you call it.

'cept the "superiority" of Linux' model has nothing to do with the GPL to begin with.
              What's special about Linux isn't the license but the management style and the community built around it.

Comment

That doesn't make sense, at all. If they're forced to put it back, everyone can "unfairly borrow" their "goodies", as you call it.
                moron, if noone is forced, noone will put it back, that is why freebsd is abused by corporations and underdeveloped
                'cept the "superiority" of Linux' model has nothing to do with the GPL to begin with.
                What's special about Linux isn't the license but the management style and the community built around it.
                cept community did not fork bsd with wonderful bsd license. wait, there are zillion shitty bsd forks, so no management or community was able to fix it

Comment

moron, if noone is forced, noone will put it back, that is why freebsd is abused by corporations and underdeveloped
                  You can cut that crap, jackass! I knew exactly what you were saying. Frankly, it doesn't make sense at all. It doesn't even make sense from a Linux point of view, since most of the development in that direction comes from corporate employees, not hobbyists.

cept community did not fork bsd with wonderful bsd license. wait, there are zillion shitty bsd forks, so no management or community was able to fix it
                  The model is completely different and there is far less competition between BSDs than there is between even differing distros. The management style is what is keeping it. That and the original IP issues. Of course you wouldn't know about the IP issues since you've only been around since Windows 7.

Comment

Working...
                  X