2015 End-Of-Year Phoronix Reader Survey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael View Post
    Here's an end-of-year Phoronix.com survey, for those that would like to share their feedback in ensuring for an even more successful 2016, etc.

This thread is intended for the non-premium readers.

How many times per day/week do you read Phoronix?
    Once a day maybe more.

Generally what time each day are you reading Phoronix?
    Morning or early afternoon

What kernel subsystems interest you the most?
    No preference.

Do you consider yourself a Linux gamer?
    Yes

What are your graphics driver preferences?
    Open source, but I use the NVidia blob out of necessity.

What news item(s) or reviews interested you the most this year?
    Not sure

What sort of Linux hardware reviews would you like to see more of?
    I am not sure you can do proper hardware reviews, the hardware you use for comparisons are too dissimilar, so it often ends up being not very informative.
    The hardware is better used to do software reviews and comparing on different hardware.

What price/features would be needed for you to consider Phoronix Premium?
    I am already considering

You can answer all/part of the questions and share whatever other constructive feedback you would like. Thanks!

Comment

Daily.

Random.

CPU & IO schedulers, file systems.

Retro / emulators only.

Open source (Intel).

None in particular, kernel benchmarks.

Desktop Linux benchmarks.

None. I'm more interested in infosec.

Comment

1...4 times per day , just about every day of the week.

Between 1900-0130

Core: CPU / IO Scheduling,
        Filesystems,
        Memory management,
        Networking,
        USB,
        Block layer,

Not really unless playing a few hours of the dark mod every third month or using fs-uae and vice for retro stuff counts

nVidia.

Debian related
        systemd
        motherboards / cpu
        harddrives
        virtualization / kvm
        kernel news

1.Motherboards:
        Please include a wider range and not just the latest and greatest.
        I am very interested in what works out of the box (especially in Debian since I am first of all biased, and second of all Debian is the base of a lot of distros)
        2. Raspberry Pi's are of course interesting

Today's price is OK,
        More in depth articles about certain topics.
        Better separation (perhaps with an icon in front of the article) - Michales server room stuff goes here, graphics goes there, games go elsewhere.
        (don't get me wrong I like your articles about your server room)
        In depth hardware reviews
        A 100% reservation against articles that even include "please pay for premium". If I do pay for premium I don't want to read about that!

Other comments (Oh yes, I added this one myself)
        I come from a Commodore 64/Amiga background - paying for computer stuff (who is supposed to be cool) is not something I am used to
        Linux demoscene stuff would be cool (if there even exists a demoscene - I have not found it yet)
        I think there is too much focus on Ubuntu on Phoronix. I would much rather have it be Debian (since I use Debian myself). But seriously
        I think more articles should be focused on progress (or the opposite) of base distributions where Debian is the largest.
        Granted Debian have reasonably good coverage on Phoronix sometimes, but other times it is too much Ubuntu for me at least.
        I also very much miss what works out of the box for stable Debian (that may be a bit old). If it works there you can be reasonably sure it will also work for the next Debian release or anything based on Debian (Ubuntu).
        Also regarding the non-paid / premium debate, If I for some bizarre reason end up with a premium account I don't want to log in to be able to read the headlines. If I for example check the news on my cellphone, or via some other computer I would much rather look forward to comming home and read the article in detail than to go through a login process. So non-paid users should always be able to read the premium headlines I think regardless of what changes might be brewing.

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

I read daily

Whenever I feel like it, sometimes several times per day I check it up to see if there's anything new at random intervals.

I'm most interested in ALSA and GPU Drivers (Nouveau/AMDGPU) as well as filesystems. I've also been waiting for a distro unifying subsystem that would allow cross distro binary compatibility. Sadly nothing of the sort exists yet in any proper way shape or form.

I'm a gamer.

I prefer the proprietary Nvidia driver, only for the performance. I am highly interested in the AMDGPU driver although it doesn't seem usable by me yet.

SteamOS/Machines, Clear Linux & Solus, AMDGPU, Vulkan, Wayland, Enlightenment/EFL, HP's Machine (Sad it was abandoned) and Machine OS, and the usual Linux wrecking OS X in benchmarks.

I like the same old GPU and CPU hardware reviews/benchmarks. I'd like to seee more 3-way benchmarks between Linux, Windows and OS X.

I will not subscribe for phoronix premium nor turn off my adblocker because frankly I do not like your lack of professionalism Michael. Although usually the content on phoronix is a nice collection of all major linux news in one place, there are occasionally news articles that seem to have been made to put other people down, either because they were rude to you in private e-mail or because you think their opinions are laughable, this is appalling, it disgusts me, it's the reason I turned adblock back on after a while of using the site, I lack the words to describe what I think of you when I see such articles. And there are also occasional "news articles" that are actually blog posts about you and your server farm, not that I in particular dislike you or your server farm but I just don't think such posts belong among linux news posts, these kinds of posts should either have their own section of the site, or a separate website altogether in my opinion. And lastly, I've grown to loathe your self advertisement articles, everybody can see that there's a "premium" button right on the top of the phoronix page, we do not need a constant reminder. When you are discounting premium, instead of making some news article about it you could just put next to the premium name something like (-30%), we would notice it. Keep the news, and the non-news separate, and avoid putting other people down because you don't like something about them, and then I'll turn adblock off at least. That said I will probably never subscribe to phoronix premium since I honestly do not see the point when I'm giving you all the money I would ever want to support you with through ads by turning my adblock off (which as I said, is on, for reasons).

Comment

Originally posted by wdb974 View Post
            I'd be willing to gift you a couple of games that you don't already own if that means those games are going to be part of your graphics card reviews.
            It's all a matter whether the games support an automated benchmark/demo mode... I think I have all the Steam Linux games that allow for useful testing.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Here's an end-of-year Phoronix.com survey, for those that would like to share their feedback in ensuring for an even more successful 2016, etc.

You can answer all/part of the questions and share whatever other constructive feedback you would like. Thanks!
              I read multiple times per day

I keep an RSS feed going, so really just about any time an article comes up

I like learning about all of the kernel, so most of the sub-systems are of interest

I kind of do consider myself a linux gamer, but it's more of a tool first

I rely on the open intel and radeonSI drivers

I liked getting laptop reviews the most, but I do follow benchmarks closer

I'm poor. Once I get financial security, I'll buy and donate but I'm not there.

Comment

Once per day

Morning

Scheduler and filesystems

No

Nvidia for anything that requires 3D

Haswell-E (5960X) benchmarks and FS benchmarks using SSDs

Entry server CPUs/motherboards such as Xeon D 1540

$50/year

Comment

*Daily

*At evenings

*Power management/CPUFREQ, Audio

*No

*Nvidia blob

*Anything about browsers, video playback, wayland, gfx drivers

Comment

At least once per day

Varies quite a bit

Graphics, sound, CPU

Yes!

I try to use open source drivers on my AMD hardware, but regretfully use proprietary on NVidia. Smooth and reliable is better to me than feature-rich, slow, and/or unstable

AMD Fury graphics, AMD Zen, mesa news, GPU comparisons, CPU comparisons, and especially performance per watt.

I would like to see more reviews on 3D printers and computing peripherals such as mice and keyboards. It would also be awesome to see more reviews about smart home hardware such as cameras, sensors, light switches, etc.

Comment

Once a day.

Morning or evening, when I'm on the train to work or to home, or at home after evening.

Filesystem, to name one. But I'm usually unaffected by most kernel developments (at least to my knowledge).

Well, I do play a game on Linux, but it is a windows game through wine.

I use proprietary drivers, not much for performance, but to reduce fan loudness on my NVIDIA desktop graphics and to reduce power consumption on my AMD laptop and my other NVIDIA laptop graphics as well.

In general, news about open source software.

Well, I don't care very much about hardware...I would say those about compatibility with newer hardware, so that I can take care to avoid hardware with Linux issues.

It would need to be free . More seriously, I would really like not to need to turn off my Privacy Badger extension on Phoronix. It's good that ads allow you to offer a free service as well as a Premium one; but Privacy Badger blocks them, and I think I don't need to tell you that Privacy Badger is not an ad blocker, but it blocks scripts when it detects they try to track the user. Which is not a good thing.

Comment

Working...
                      X