Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by atari314
    1. Yeah, no thanks
    What bloody "no thanks"? If you want to see it, have a look, if not, don't.

2. Even open source, it's still a fat slow pile of shit
    Yeah. If only they open-sourced it to make it better. By the way, it's a capital "C" in "Visual Studio Code".

3. Wondering if they think that by making it open source ppl would contribute with patches... because I can think of thousands of ways to better spend time than helping M$ in anything.
    I bet it hasn't been long since you've been whining about Microsoft being a closed source company, not releasing their source to the public.

Now that they have, you're like "oh, but as a Primadonna, I don't want it".

Comment

Originally posted by unixfan2001 View Post
      This thread perfectly summarises why the GNU/Linux community can't have nice things.
      This thread summarises those who mumble about unix are not exactly picky in choosing their allies and prefer to serve as corporate footpads for proprietary corps. And if we're about good things... somehow, I've chance to see how MS works internally, thanks to M$ partners. And somehow I've got utter distaste to their methods and approaches. Its no fun to deal with bunch of liars who fucks up their customers and writes crappy EULAs. And somehow, I've got chance to see how opensource works. Real one, not these lame corporate footpads. So ... I will never go back. And I'm kinda happy GNU & Linux lack such a double standard dudes like you. I wouldn't even be surprised to learn you're booting to windows and only using unix stuff as toys. But for me Linux is a core technology which backs everything I do. It's not a toy OS. It's about to be full software stack. Without bowing down to someone like Microsoft. That's what I value any day.

I'm pretty sure microsoft does not seeks to do anything good for me, they are seeking for vendor locks, more mindless "developer" drones incapable of reading EULAs and so on. But I've seen 'em backstabbing others by many times, or using their footpads as cannon fodder to push, say, new .NET, etc, even if it breaks software to the hell, etc. And good example is what they did to Nokia. They've used Nokia as cannon fodder to push their products. This miserably failed. Cannon fodder has been torn into pieces and now Nokia not even allowed to manufacture smartphones. What a good fate of Microsoft cannon fodded "partner". Yet it seems some people can't learn from other's mistakes. Feel free to side with M$ and serve as their footpad. And do not cry when they will fuck you up or use you as cannon fodder, screwing up your own goals in favor of their goals, like they alsways did.

Somehow, I've got idea it could be better than that. I also can read EULA, and if someone dares to write something like MS, these are clearly not my allies, and I do not need their "good" trojan horses.

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
        as far as the rest, it is not double standard. the only possible use those libraries could have is to run Windows specific software. WPF and most higher libraries are tied to their OS
        Somehow, Qt isn't tied to OS while being high level, etc. And even GTK+ could run on Windows. So it seems it is matter of approaches and what toolkit developers are really want to achieve. Sure, when it comes to Microsoft, I would expect vendor lock attempts and hypocrite approach when they pretend they want to help and then eventually stabbing you. This is hallmark of MS operations. Just like it happened with IE for Unix or old Office for Mac, etc. Which were suddenly cancelled when MS took most of desktop market to further secure their positions. They also "helped" Nokia ... to become bankrupt, etc. Some people can't learn on past mistakes, eh? And still in mood for some brand new, shiny Trojan Horse? Uhh, sure, this wooden horse looking like a gift. But it seems there is some catch...
        Last edited by SystemCrasher; 20 November 2015, 03:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SystemCrasher View Post
          Somehow, Qt isn't tied to OS while being high level, etc. And even GTK+ could run on Windows. So it seems it is matter of approaches and what toolkit developers are really want to achieve. Sure, when it comes to Microsoft, I would expect vendor lock attempts and hypocrite approach when they pretend they want to help and then eventually stabbing you. This is hallmark of MS operations. Just like it happened with IE for Unix or old Office for Mac, etc. Which were suddenly cancelled when MS took most of desktop market to further secure their positions. They also "helped" Nokia ... to become bankrupt, etc. Some people can't learn on past mistakes, eh? And still in mood for some brand new, shiny Trojan Horse? Uhh, sure, this wooden horse looking like a gift. But it seems there is some catch...

What the fuck are you talking about again?

1. GTK+ looks like shit on both Mac OS X and Windows.
          2. Qt was written with multiplatform in mind. The current Microsoft toolkit offerings weren't.
          2.1 Qt doesn't draw native widgets either (unless the platform happens to use Qt as its native toolkit). They're merely "native looking".
          3. Microsoft is already helping provide a multiplatform GUI toolkit, by supporting Xamarin and their "Xamarin Forms" widgets.
          4. They stabbed no one in the back by cancelling any of the offerings you mentioned. It's their bloody right to stop development of any of their software offering. Who the hell are you to tell people what they should or should not devote their time towards?
          5. They didn't "help" Nokia end itself either. Nokia was in a weak position before. Frankly, their product lines were huge failures and they got out of the Meego and Symbian business way too late.

This thread summarises those who mumble about unix are not exactly picky in choosing their allies and prefer to serve as corporate footpads for proprietary corps.
          Yea. I call BS. Using Visual Studio Code doesn't make me a "corporate footpad".

And if we're about good things... somehow, I've chance to see how MS works internally, thanks to M$ partners.
          Lolwhat? Dealing with Microsoft Partners makes you as much a "Microsoft insider" as applying for a new ID makes me a "government expert".

I've got chance to see how opensource works. Real one, not these lame corporate footpads. So ... I will never go back. And I'm kinda happy GNU & Linux lack such a double standard
          dudes like you.
          1. It's not a double standard. Is there a hidden GNU/Linux' EULA that states you must use GPL'd software at all times or be considered a hypocrite?
          2. Open Source doesn't always work fine. The last few months made that more than clear.

I wouldn't even be surprised to learn you're booting to windows and only using unix stuff as toys.
          I'm writing my own *nix like OS and am spending vast amounts of time writing software in GNU/Linux, FreeBSD and Mac OS X. But yea, I'm a Windows fanboy...

Talking about "not being surprised": I wouldn't be surprised to find out you were nothing but a loudmouthed 12 year old with a bit of an ego problem.
          Literally none of your "programming" posts read like something written by an actual software dev. The fact that you don't even understand the connection between low- and high-level development lends further credence to that thought. As does your constant bickering about how "C" is the greatest and knowing it somehow makes you a superior human being.

But for me Linux is a core technology which backs everything I do. It's not a toy OS. It's about to be full software stack. Without bowing down to someone like Microsoft. That's what I value any day.
          So who wrote that "full software stack"? Did Linus write it all by himself? Was it not written by a great number of independent minded individuals as well as companies such as Red Hat? Why shouldn't Microsoft be allowed to contribute to that ever evolving software stack, as well?

I think herein lies the real difference between us. You consider GNU/Linux a never changing target. Something only you nurture but that no one else may touch in any revolutionary way. I consider it an EVER moving target. Something that evolves with its community.

I'm pretty sure microsoft does not seeks to do anything good for me, they are seeking for vendor locks, more mindless "developer" drones incapable of reading EULAs and so on.
          "Belief" is the keyword here. Unless you have proof for any of this, keep your slanderous garbage to yourself!

new .NET, even if it breaks software to the hell
          Yea. That never happened anyplace else. No way someone else's libraries ever got incompatible with earlier versions.
          The whole Semantic Versioning movement is totally a Microsoft plot seeking to undermine free and open software...

good example is what they did to Nokia. They've used Nokia as cannon fodder to push their products. This miserably failed. Cannon fodder has been torn into pieces and now Nokia not even allowed to manufacture smartphones.
          1. Again. Prove it! Prove that Microsoft had anything to do with their demise! You certainly can't, because they were underperforming well before the first Microsoft phone. If anything killed them, it were Android and Samsung.

2. They're still designing and licensing smartphones. Contrary to what you may believe, that's were the beef of the innovation happens. They weren't innovating the manufacturing process.

What a good fate of Microsoft cannon fodded "partner". Yet it seems some people can't learn from other's mistakes. Feel free to side with M$ and serve as their footpad. And do not cry when they will fuck you up or use you as cannon fodder, screwing up your own goals in favor of their goals, like they alsways did.
          Oh! So you are one of those "History repeats itself constantly! Be on the lookout, Obama could be the next Hitler" and "Never forgive, never forget" kind of guys. That explains SO much!

Somehow, I've got idea it could be better than that. I also can read EULA, and if someone dares to write something like MS, these are clearly not my allies, and I do not need their "good" trojan horses.
          I doubt you read any of the other EULAs you're wilfully ignoring.
          Yes, commercial Microsoft EULAs are shitty (to the point that they're almost hilarious), but no one takes them seriously anyways. Not even people in the industry.
          No one but you and other anal idiots who believe they need to start a grass roots rebellion against an unknown enemy (the metaphorical "Tilt at windmills")

Comment

Open source or not, this bloated pile of JavaScript code is pretty much useless regardless of who wrote it.

MS is welcome to port their applications to Linux natively, but then they should do it properly, not this PR bullshit.

Comment

This thread perfectly summarises why the GNU/Linux community can't have nice things.

Between the usual suspects hating on Microsoft for doing something good and Guest spewing his usual, uninformed FUD (FYI, C99 made huge leaps with VS2013 and has been considered mostly complete since VS2014 CTP. Furthermore, MS open sourced VS Code -- their multiplatform code editor -- , not MSBuild or Visual C++), there are very few rational, appreciative people in this thread.
              Trust me its not just Microsoft lol they don't care much for AMD either which is strange because NVidia is straight up proprietary... The ethics of this site are terrible most posts are so bias in favor of what they like and no other opinions matter.

Comment

It's alive and well, actually.

LG bought the whole thing and is using it inside their smart TVs.
                They've yet to open source it, unfortunately.

I know that LG bought it and use it on their Smart TV's. I didn't say webOS as a whole was dead. I was talking about HP using webOS on phones and tablets and their PC plans and THEN I said "it's dead", ergo HP's webOS is dead. Which is the truth (I'm a ex-webOS user, even for a long time after the 'kill' so I'm well aware of the state of HP and LG webOS). That's also why I said it lives on in LuneOS 'cause LuneOS doesn't run on LG TV's but it does run on a few phones and tablets (including HP's Touchpad, which I still have).

Comment

Originally posted by SystemCrasher View Post
                  This thread summarises those who mumble about unix are not exactly picky in choosing their allies and prefer to serve as corporate footpads for proprietary corps. And if we're about good things... somehow, I've chance to see how MS works internally, thanks to M$ partners. And somehow I've got utter distaste to their methods and approaches. Its no fun to deal with bunch of liars who fucks up their customers and writes crappy EULAs. And somehow, I've got chance to see how opensource works. Real one, not these lame corporate footpads. So ... I will never go back. And I'm kinda happy GNU & Linux lack such a double standard dudes like you. I wouldn't even be surprised to learn you're booting to windows and only using unix stuff as toys. But for me Linux is a core technology which backs everything I do. It's not a toy OS. It's about to be full software stack. Without bowing down to someone like Microsoft. That's what I value any day.

I'm pretty sure microsoft does not seeks to do anything good for me, they are seeking for vendor locks, more mindless "developer" drones incapable of reading EULAs and so on. But I've seen 'em backstabbing others by many times, or using their footpads as cannon fodder to push, say, new .NET, etc, even if it breaks software to the hell, etc. And good example is what they did to Nokia. They've used Nokia as cannon fodder to push their products. This miserably failed. Cannon fodder has been torn into pieces and now Nokia not even allowed to manufacture smartphones. What a good fate of Microsoft cannon fodded "partner". Yet it seems some people can't learn from other's mistakes. Feel free to side with M$ and serve as their footpad. And do not cry when they will fuck you up or use you as cannon fodder, screwing up your own goals in favor of their goals, like they alsways did.

On the one hand, you're right that MS did destroy Nokia. On the other hand, it's not entirely MS's fault. Stephen Elop was the CEO of Nokia at that time. He could've refused MS's offer and continue in a different way. MS is not always nice, but they're no maffia who put a gun under your nose if you even try think about the phrase "no, I'm not letting you buy our company". So it's partly Elop's fault as well (and on Talk Maemo, where the (former) Nokia fanboys are, they are all blaming Elop for it as well).

Comment

I'm working with Visual Studio 2015 Enterprise and Visual Studio Code in tandem. So far, it's been a pleasant experience.
                    Visual Studio Code is quite snappy and offers some of the same features and shortcuts I'm used to utilising in regular Visual Studio.

The only thing that keeps me from switching over to Visual Studio Code fully is the XAML editor.
                    I imagine it wouldn't be too difficult to implement one as a plugin though.

Originally posted by efikkan View Post
                    Open source or not, this bloated pile of JavaScript code is pretty much useless regardless of who wrote it.

MS is welcome to port their applications to Linux natively, but then they should do it properly, not this PR bullshit.
                    Welcome to the fucking 21st century!
                    The rest of us are working towards making Javascript a first class citizen. If that offends you, feel free to migrate to an earlier state.

I hear 56k internet and CRTs are very comfortable those days...
                    Last edited by unixfan2001; 23 November 2015, 02:08 AM.

Comment

1. It's not a double standard. Is there a hidden GNU/Linux' EULA that states you must use GPL'd software at all times or be considered a hypocrite?
                      Not for linux, but for GNU stuff yes, right here https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-...r-freedom.html or anything else where Stallman addresses both "Free Software" and "Open Source", or is otherwise faffing on about how all software ever aught to be "Free Software".

Comment

Working...
                      X