Mono 4.0 Makes Use Of Microsoft's Open-Source Code, C# 6.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    Too bad the Mono packages are heavily outdated on Debian and Ubuntu.
    Debian has been frozen for release for a while, and Ubuntu is synced from Debian. If in doubt, use upstream packages.

Comment

Originally posted by mike4 View Post
      Is Mono still needed? I mean installing Microsoft Visual Studio Code should bring all .NET stuff? Haven't yet looked at it...
      VS Code is a Node-based editor. It only does anything .NET-related if you create a ASP.NET project.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
        Does this help with Wine at all in compatibility?
        Wine has been using Mono as its .NET backend for a while. It is not based on stable release tags from upstream, they fork Mono at their own time for their own use.

Comment

M$ Moto:
          "Embrace and Destroy"

Comment

Originally posted by AJSB View Post
            M$ Moto:
            "Embrace and Destroy"
            Is there a point you're trying to make, or is this a generic childish rant?

Comment

It's the finger of the devil, I tell you! It will catch you up when you least expect and you will be enslaved to the Beast of Redmond.

Comment

based on the direction of microsoft, i wonder how much longer the mono project is going to remain relevant.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  Too bad the Mono packages are heavily outdated on Debian and Ubuntu.

The .NET Framework is a great piece of technology.
                  It's a great piece of technology for making windows software. That's why POSIX operating systems don't have so much interest in it.

Comment

Originally posted by corzo View Post
                    It's a great piece of technology for making windows software. That's why POSIX operating systems don't have so much interest in it.
                    POSIX operating systems are not interested in it because objects and software don't have interests, only people and animals do.

A lot of .Net is decoupled from Windows. Unity uses mono and can deploy to iOS, Android, Facebook games, Windows and Linux. As a professional Java and .Net developer I assure you C# is a really nice general purpose language. Even the parts of .Net that deal with win32 like windows forms and WPF don't expose any of it to the developer.

There are 2 real advantages that Java has: portability and community.

MS has been very recently open sourcing a lot of .Net, and also making it work on Linux and Mac os X.
                    If they keep this going, they could close the gap and I could easily see C# taking quite a bit of market share from Java.

Comment

Originally posted by mike4 View Post
                      Is Mono still needed? I mean installing Microsoft Visual Studio Code should bring all .NET stuff? Haven't yet looked at it...
                      Until CoreCLR and CoreFX are complete and fully ported it's still necessary, after that Mono will be obsolete which I would expect by the end of the year. Also expect Microsoft to open source a lot more stuff over the next year, the wave isn't finished yet.

Comment

Working...
                      X