It Doesn't Look Like KDBUS Will Make It For Linux 4.1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gens View Post
    the only real reason for dbus in the kernel is to transport multimedia, and that is a really really stupid reason
    (dbus it too heavy a protocol to transport mass data)
    Uh, no it isn't. The various usecases, of which that was just one, were discussed on the mailing list thread.

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
      Wouldn't make any sense to rush something like this in ahead of it's time. If it's not well made enough, it's just not well made enough, bottom line is the developer pushing for it should get some constructive feedback and criticism (what's wrong, what could go wrong and maybe some nice ideas on how to fix all that) and then put more time into this to make it better.
      Yeah, asking for reviews and comments for a year before wanting it pulled is definitely "rushing it"

Comment

Well, there is one positive aspect in this postponed decision: the next time nobody can jump in the discussion adding stupid excuses such as "why this rush? Nobody review it..."
        They asked more time to review, now they have that time.
        For the next GIT PULL they will have no more space to play dirty game.
        (because yes, stay silent for two years, stay silent for 3 RFC and start to shout loud only at the git pull IS playing dirty game)

Comment

kdbus is a mess.

First off - systemd is being handle improperly in general. Somehow an init package is making itself a requirement to run applications which should be cross platform portable - while systemd is linux-only, not portable and breaks *nix philosophy badly. Basically a really poor take on SMF imho. I wish it was optional and I wish the rats that wrote it would keep "the old way" of doing things available so people who want to try and ignore this nightmare can.

Secondly, KDBUS sounds good. Its supposedly sliced bread. It isnt.

Here is Alan, who has probably written more Linux than most anyone else, trying to explain to this guy http://sixgun.org/files/greg-kh.jpg why kdbus is a mess.

Its shocking to see people wanting something put into the kernel before all the issues are hashed out. Its just like systemd in many ways. Someone with a political, not technical, agenda must get it in there.

Pretty much everything is starting to follow how the US ACA was passed, just get it wedged in and made law and work out the problems later.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
            Uh, no it isn't. The various usecases, of which that was just one, were discussed on the mailing list thread.
            i read the whole thing
            1. multimedia
            2. programs sending over 1k requests per second

1. shouldn't be done over dbus
            2. bad programming

Comment

It's not Greg I'm referring to. It's people like Lennart and Kay I'm worried about.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                Torvalds doesn't really work on Linux these days. He mostly rants and insults other people. He's also not an expert in IT security.
                Hmm. Still trolling

Comment

Originally posted by pouar View Post
                  It's not Greg I'm referring to. It's people like Lennart and Kay I'm worried about.
                  Them two:

1. did not come up with the concept of dbus
                  2. Have not written a single line of kdbus code.

Comment

Originally posted by gens View Post
                    i read the whole thing
                    2. programs sending over 1k requests per second

2. bad programming
                    Uh.. no. Some protocols are specifically made to work like this (especially in the show control world)

Comment

Originally posted by mickrussom View Post
                      First off - systemd is being handle improperly in general. Somehow an init package is making itself a requirement to run applications which should be cross platform portable - while systemd is linux-only, not portable and breaks *nix philosophy badly. Basically a really poor take on SMF imho. I wish it was optional and I wish the rats that wrote it would keep "the old way" of doing things available so people who want to try and ignore this nightmare can.
                      Unix has been dead for more than a decade now. Long live Linux.

Comment

Working...
                      X