• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
    Voting non sense:

Two wins
    Not really.

2/3rds of members is a nice safeguard that prevents the X.org foundation from descending into a self-serving dictatorship.

Changing the bylaws of a foundation is like changing the constitution of a democracy, it should never be done by straight voter majority. Also, i am a belgian, one of the few countries where everyone is forced to go to the voting center and do something. This is much more democratic as even those who are economically weak, or those who feel disenfranchised, are given/compelled an opportunity to state their opinion.

Think of the following hypothetical scenario. Due to a programming error, only members with (hypothetical) IDs below 128 are actually able to see the ballot. Given the longer history of X.org, member IDs below 128 have become rare. Only 2 people complain, and they get told "Works for me", and these people give up afterwards. In the end, only 12 votes get cast, 7 pro, 4 abstain, 1 against, so the by-law change is accepted by having 7 of 69members vote for something, and all of them being the old farts in the organization? Would you find this acceptable?

Anyway, unless i missed something, no-one went out and told everyone that at least 2/3rds of members votes were needed to get there. No one campaigned to get (and might I add, recently renewed) members to vote to get the required number. To me, it seems that no-one had carefully read the bylaws, and no-one acted upon it accordingly before the vote was over. This while so much energy was supposedly poured into reworking the bylaws...

This is not a failure of the bylaws, it is a failure of the people who were running this election and who were pushing to get X.org to join SPI.

I am glad that I proposed a load of new X.org foundation board members, i am absolutely happy that Egbert Eich went through the trouble of contacting all those members that i proposed (kudos for that, my previous proposals never had such results), and i am amazed that most of them accepted. Perhaps this new blood will take the letter of the foundation bylaws a bit more seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by libv View Post
      Not really.
      Well not really, but in reality it is actually double nonsense - because even if all remaining members voted for No, Yes still wins .

2/3rds of members is a nice safeguard that prevents the X.org foundation from descending into a self-serving dictatorship.
      One half for quorum and half+1 result is also nice safeguard, that sounds better to me if voting is just for Yes/No/abstained.

2/3rds quorum might be good for parlaments but here is way too much it seems, of course you can be sure democracy is preserved with that, but you can also be sure members will never voted on anything

Otherwise that is what happened here - vast minority option No wins
      Last edited by dungeon; 09 April 2015, 06:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
        One half for quorum and/or half+1 result is also nice safeguard, that sounds better to me if voting is just for Yes/No/abstained.
        And/Or i mean, you have absolute half+1 results right now

Comment

Working...
        X