Khronos Group Announces Vulkan, OpenCL 2.1, SPIR-V

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael View Post
    The AMD R600 GPU LLVM back-end in LLVM was renamed to AMDGPU. But yes there's also the yet-to-be-published AMDGPU kernel DRM driver.
    Ah ok sorry about that. I was confused because you used the word "driver" (I think "back-end" would have been more clear).

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
      Though SPIR is an interesting idea, and I wonder if that means languages could make their compilers output such IR directly. Instead of writing GLSL/HLSL/C++SL/whatever, you could write in, say, plain D, and the compiler would generate the needed code itself. Same with OpenCL.
      Yes (there are already such compilers). Note that you will always be limited to a subset of the language, as dynamic stuff doesn't really work on GPU.

Comment

You Guys Crack Me Up

I love how people are whining and moaning that there is no specification available, so you get to say nothing but negative things, but there has been one available for over an hour in the link above (http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...V-Initial-Spec) and not a single one of you jokers have looked at it or posted a comment. I love you guys, my favorite humor site

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
          Blah i thought Vulkan is OpenGL replacement, but OpenGL goes as it is... Vulkan seems more just like Valve's Mantle

Now at least we know from where V came from and why V
          shhhh, ... remember ... Longpeak ... remember ... Longpeak ... remember ... Longpeak ... remember ... Longpeak

if they did it otherwise, they'd get whole lot of boycotts. i think some companies were already holding their mouse over "Register boycottvulkan.com" button for last few days now. this way everyone is happy

Comment

khronos standardizes userspace backend of graphics drivers!
            Vulcan like Gallium. For Vulcan realization not need Mesa. You can create OpenGL over Vulcan.

WTF?!

Comment

<daydreaming>There will be big code drops in Mesa, LLVM and Linux from unknown devs from Khronos, nVidia, AMD, Intel, Imagination, Valve, ... in the next (few) months. Mesa will be used as a reference implementation (since it's open source), and Linux distros/Android will have OOTB support for Vulkan in just one year.</daydreaming>
              Too bad we won't see any of this Vulkan thing in YEARS, unless you use proprietary drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
                I love how people are whining and moaning that there is no specification available, so you get to say nothing but negative things, but there has been one available for over an hour in the link above (http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...V-Initial-Spec) and not a single one of you jokers have looked at it or posted a comment. I love you guys, my favorite humor site
                The article is about the intermediate language spec, shared by Vulkan and OpenCL 2.1, not Vulkan API you joker.

Comment

My favorite bullet point

Initial specs and implementations expected this year
                  -
                  Will work on any platform that supports OpenGL ES 3.1 and up
                  In short, expect 18-24 months of transition.

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
                    C++14 as a subset is fine. As long as C++ isn't forced on me using OpenCL I'll ignore it. I have zero interest in picking it back up just to use OpenCL all because some small subset of dickheads ``demanded it'' and call it SPIR-V.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                      I hope drivers will consume SPIR-V directly rather than relying on SPIR-V -> LLVM-IR/TGSI/NVPTX and introduce variability between vendors this way.
                      Considering SPIR-V is a mapping to LLVM-IR and the OpenCL kernel code I expect you will benefit from learning LLVM-IR.

Comment

Working...
                      X