No announcement yet.

Khronos Group Announces Vulkan, OpenCL 2.1, SPIR-V

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LOL at anyone discussing this turd from Khronos.

Vulkan is dead on arrival.

The only question is if they quickly admit to how badly they screwed up and come up the next version of OpenGL or will a new group need to be created to take over and clean up the clowns at Khronos have created.

Comment

Originally posted by BeardedGNUFreak View Post

The only question is if they quickly admit to how badly they screwed up and come up the next version of OpenGL or will a new group need to be created to take over and clean up the clowns at Khronos have created.
      You are in the VAST minority here. People are eating it up with both spoons. Programmers and developers alike. Hell PowerVR already has a preliminary demo. Your opinion dosen't make facts...and the fact is Vulkan is already well on it's way to being the next cross platform API standard.

Go look anywhere you want. Most people are on board with both feet.

Comment

And for people like you they are keeping OpenGL around.

The rest of the industry seems to be waiting for this new standard. Valve even has a Vulkan renderer for Dota 2.

Comment

Yep. In other news, Windows 10 is also dead on arrival because the whole world is running GNU hurd.

Comment

there is no need for more apis. i dont see any future for such API-s, and i dont see future in hardware acceleration at all. as a developer, i will not support this in any form.

Comment

Originally posted by Geri View Post
              there is no need for more apis. i dont see any future for such API-s, and i dont see future in hardware acceleration at all. as a developer, i will not support this in any form.
              Intel, AMD, Nvidia, Valve, Sony, EPIC, and Unity, among others all disagree with you, plus there's some very good posts by Elanthis as to exactly why we need new graphics APIs somewhere in this forum, I'm inclined to agree with them as opposed to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
                Intel, AMD, Nvidia, Valve, Sony, EPIC, and Unity, among others all disagree with you, plus there's some very good posts by Elanthis as to exactly why we need new graphics APIs somewhere in this forum, I'm inclined to agree with them as opposed to you.
                The only caveat I see is that it seems to me Vulkan is *so* low level that a lot of apps will prefer to use toolkits and engines rather than writing in the API per se. That said, I don't particularly see that as a bad thing.

Comment

Am I missing something?
                  From what i read the new Vulkan, OpenCL and SPIR-V is almost same as Gallium3D.
                  SPIR-V = LLVM based equivalent of TSGI
                  Vulkan and OpenCL are state trackers and it seems that GLSL will be added too by khoros.
                  The only thing missing is the winsys.

Hope this is true and OSS Intel+AMD+Mesa devs will implement OpenGL 4.5, Vulkan and OpenCL state tracker on top of SPIR-V.
                  Khoros could create OS project for this, if not maybe Mesa devs will.

Comment

A very naive question, but would wine be able to use Vulkan instead of OpenGL? or is it too specific for what wine does?

Comment

• Originally posted by yakman2020 View Post
                      The only caveat I see is that it seems to me Vulkan is *so* low level that a lot of apps will prefer to use toolkits and engines rather than writing in the API per se. That said, I don't particularly see that as a bad thing.
                      That's where SPIR-V comes in, with the existence of a well defined and supported IR, higher level APIs and languages can be written for those who need it. So those who can handle it can deal with Vulkan, those who can't can deal with some other language if they don't want to use a toolkit or engine.

Comment

Working...
                      X