No announcement yet.

Not Everyone Likes The Possible "VULKAN" Name For Next-Gen OpenGL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't care much about the name, I just want a good API. "glNext" needs to take the next step in GPU programming, not go the Mantle route and take a back-seat behind Direct3D.

BTW, does anyone know if Nvidia has been involved in the design of "glNext"? "glNext" needs to be designed for future GPUs not for five year old GPUs like the obsolete Mantle.

Comment

Originally posted by newwen View Post
      Why not OpenGL Core? or OpenGL 5
      I guess they want to emphasize that this a complete restart. People hearing the name "OpenGL 5" would probably still associate with some of the bad things about OpenGL.

Anyway I can already feel /usr/lib/libvulkan.so being allocated on my disk...

Comment

I agree, Even if they don't know exactly what it means, a lot of gamers have at least heard of opengl. changing the name would be bad. It'll basically reset recognition back to zero.

Comment

Originally posted by efikkan View Post
          BTW, does anyone know if Nvidia has been involved in the design of "glNext"? "glNext" needs to be designed for future GPUs not for five year old GPUs like the obsolete Mantle.
          There will be speakers from Nvidia, AMD, ARM, Valve and some game engine developers on GDC... it is easy to guess that those are involved:

We have some fantastic sessions at Moscone, and we’re also holding additional sessions at SF Green Space, a 5-minute walk from Moscone. Take a break from the Moscone crowds and join us for API sessions, complimentary beverages, free reference cards and other goodies, and much more.

Probably we will know in just few days what it is
          Last edited by dungeon; 01 March 2015, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
            I agree, Even if they don't know exactly what it means, a lot of gamers have at least heard of opengl. changing the name would be bad. It'll basically reset recognition back to zero.
            Lots of gamers know of Mantle even though it has only shipped in a few games, never has lived up to promises of performance or being open source.

Comment

Lots of gamers know of Mantle even though it has only shipped in a few games, never has lived up to promises of performance or being open source.
              Nvidia OpenGL is not opensource too on any platform, what the hell are you talking about

Best OpenGL implementations traditionaly are all propertiary, "open" in OpenGL does not mean it is opensource... it mostly means it is royality free.
              Last edited by dungeon; 01 March 2015, 12:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
                I like Vulkan, it's a perfect reference to Mantle. Obviously not because of Leonard Nimoy but since he died it might be a perfect way to honor him?
                So why don't we just call it Leonard Nimoy?

Comment

More ideas that would make more sense:

OpenGL LP (Low-level Profile)
                  OpenGL Direct
                  OpenGL SP (Simplified Profile)

...or, if you want a more clean break without losing brand recognition, how about:
                  OpenLG (Open Low-Level Graphics)

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                    Nvidia OpenGL is not opensource too on any platform, what the hell are you talking about

Best OpenGL implementations traditionaly are all propertiary, "open" in OpenGL does not mean it is opensource... it mostly means it is royality free.
                    What are you talking about? OpenGL is an open specification like TCP/IP is open but that doesn't make IE open. But were not talking about any of that, I just pointed out that Mantle is widely recognized even though being new and fairly close to "vaporware", so I don't see the problem with "glNext" choosing a completely new name. Perhaps it's even an advantage, since many developers still got the OpenGL 2.x mess in their mind.

Comment

What are you talking about? OpenGL is an open specification like TCP/IP is open but that doesn't make IE open.
                      You said Mantle is not opensource and i said Nvidia's OpenGL is also not opensource.

Yes you can say "OpenGL is an open specification" that is fine, but no one said Mantle will be opensource or Nvidia's OpenGL will be opensource or thing like that.

Comment

Working...
                      X