No announcement yet.

Kubuntu 15.04 Is Turning Out Quite Nice, Good Way To Try Out The Latest KDE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This shows the average (gamer) system: http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey , I can guess that devs and technical people have machines with more or less the same specs. Even ARM systems have good specs. And you are all still whining about "bloat"? LOL

Comment

hm

ugly ugly ugly, kde4 is ugly but this...

Comment

Is this really ugly, ugly, ugly ?

Comment

Originally posted by Gapil301 View Post
          So there is no good looking light weight DE at the time? ;/
          Well, lxqt is a lightweight QT-based DE, sort of like KDE on a diet.

HTML Code:
          http://lxqt.org

Comment

Originally posted by Gapil301 View Post
            So there is no good looking light weight DE at the time? ;/
            Benjamin Franklin — "Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one."

The same can be said here - you can't have something lightweight and pretty at the same time. You can of course change color schemes, icon themes, and maybe stuff like patterned panels, but beyond that, everything else you do adds bloat. Depending on your hardware and what you do on a daily basis, this might not matter. I use KDE with many of the special effects, simply because it has no negative impact on what I do.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
              All major DEs are bloated. This includes Unity, KDE, Gnome, Cinnamon, not to mention Windows and Mac DEs. Right now my Gnome Shell is taking 369MB of resident memory. That is 40 times the amount of RAM the entire Windows 95 OS needed to run comfortably. I would consider that bloated. If you want a DE that isn't bloated your best bet is LXDE.
              Are you USING that ram for anything? Unused RAM is wasted RAM so unless there is a memory leak or the DE is itself taking up more than 50% of my RAM... I'm not really worried. Hardware improves, Hardware gets better, former constraints are removed... If the software doesn't take advantage of that then its just leaving potential on the ground.
              All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                Benjamin Franklin ? "Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one."

The same can be said here - you can't have something lightweight and pretty at the same time. You can of course change color schemes, icon themes, and maybe stuff like patterned panels, but beyond that, everything else you do adds bloat. Depending on your hardware and what you do on a daily basis, this might not matter. I use KDE with many of the special effects, simply because it has no negative impact on what I do.
                I don't see why you quoted Franklin here, as the quote is actually opposite to what you're saying. Franklin is simply saying you shouldn't surrender freedom, you should have BOTH freedom AND security, i.e. you should have the security without surrendering freedom.

But back to the subject. I think you can have something lightweight and pretty at the same time. Most of the bloat is caused by inefficient programming methods. How big is all the graphical assets, 20MB? How big are the GL buffers and shaders? Another 50MB? I bet most of the resident memory consumed by modern DEs are dangling objects waiting to be garbage collected.

Comment

Originally posted by asdfblah View Post
                  This shows the average (gamer) system: http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey , I can guess that devs and technical people have machines with more or less the same specs. Even ARM systems have good specs. And you are all still whining about "bloat"? LOL
                  that is often used as an excuse for lazy programming

write the letter "A" 1024 times and you have 1kB
                  then c/p that a 1024 times and you have 1MB

a 1280x1024 RGB picture is 1280*1024*3 bytes big, so about 3.75MB uncompressed
                  lets be generous and say there is 2*screen_size of textures for gadgets and whatever
                  in total that's about 12MB of textures to make up graphics, background included

code itself does not need no where near that
                  instructions are 1-7 bytes, 3.something average
                  one line of C is about 1 to 10 instructions

data that that code uses is usually bigger then code itself although not always
                  on a desktop, for example, a window is 2*int for origin coordinates and 2*int for size
                  that's 2*2*4 bytes, not much
                  put some 50 such layout things in one window and it's still under 1kB

but lets go all out and say that 150MB is an INSANE amount of data
                  so why do most DE's use over 200MB ?
                  especially when X also deals with pixmaps ?

PS
                  LoL suxxxx
                  DotA is teh bests

Comment

Originally posted by rikkinho View Post
                    ugly ugly ugly, kde4 is ugly but this...
                    KDE ugly? did you've seen GNOME ever?

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                      Are you USING that ram for anything? Unused RAM is wasted RAM so unless there is a memory leak or the DE is itself taking up more than 50% of my RAM... I'm not really worried. Hardware improves, Hardware gets better, former constraints are removed... If the software doesn't take advantage of that then its just leaving potential on the ground.
                      I was going to say the same thing. I have 16 GB of RAM for what? So I can run a light DE that takes 50 MB while 15 GB is setting there not being used for anything? I don't mind 500 MB for a decent DE if it does everything I want it to do. I have 16 GB so I can enjoy all the bells and whistles my OS has to offer.

Comment

Working...
                      X