systemd Lands SD-Boot, Its EFI Boot Manager & Stub Loader

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by curaga View Post
    Implying GNU coreutils are all interdependent, and you totally cannot use GNU ls without GNU df.
    Some GNU tools, just like some systemd tools, are standalone tools or have stable API's simply because their developers thought it was a good idea for that tool.

There are actual very good technical reasons why e.g. "systemd-logind" can't be used as a standalone utility and why it doesn't have a stable API.

Some systemd tools like "timedated" are easily reimplemented even on non-Linux systems, and have stable interfaces and are fully documented. Other tools like "journald" isn't, but may be in the future.

There really isn't conspiratorial reasons why systemd is designed the way it is; there are good technical reasons behind every design decision I have seen.

As it is now, and have been for several years, systemd can be configured to have very few runtime dependencies on much besides glibc. Most of its features can be turned off by configure switches at compile time. And those that can't like udevd, can still be disabled by following the instructions on the "Minimal Builds" page:

Comment

Originally posted by tessio View Post
      So Linux sucks before systemd was even a dream, because it's the same ideology of gnu coreutils. A bunch of tools under a single project.
      I know right!? I've been hearing about the technical superiority of Linux since the mid 90's... but apparently it was crap all those years before systemd. How did we survive?!?

Comment

Originally posted by Alejandro Nova View Post
        Awesome analysis. BTW, don't forget http://www.nyan.co , it's smallish, but the name fits.
        This is good information, I'm studying it now..

Comment

Originally posted by MoonMoon View Post
          Fund a developer to do it. One of the most cited advantages of open source over proprietary software is that people can take over or fork software projects if they go unmaintained or in a direction that other people don't like. This would be a prime example for it: If you want Gummiboot without systemd then fucking start maintain it or pay someone to do that.
          On spot!

So, can all systemd hatters please start raising funds to maintain the non-systemd stack, and stop complaining around here? Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by eduperez View Post
            On spot!

So, can all systemd hatters please start raising funds to maintain the non-systemd stack, and stop complaining around here? Thanks!
            Please stop using the lack of developers as a crutch for your argument.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
              You can NOT have multiply boot partitions with gummiboot, you could combine the kernel+initrd+bootoptions now in a container, but thats all.

Sorry, what I meant to say was multiple root partitions. Although I haven't tried this with gummiboot, you should be able to have a dual boot linux/windows system. Also, if you want to keep several distinct distros on the same machine; say for testing purposes.

Comment

Windows is automatically detected if it is in the same efi partition, no config entry needed, also it finds the efi shell with the standard name (the one and only patch from me inside gummiboot). It is not possible to boot Windows or any other efi binaries from another hd with gummiboot. Basically you can start grub from gummiboot, grub chainloads to the other hd with gummiboot...
                Last edited by Kano; 20 February 2015, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                  Please stop using the lack of developers as a crutch for your argument.
                  It is new to me that only developers can start a fundraiser.

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
                    Well, PA with its software mixing resulted in significantly higher CPU usage for us people who according to Poettering don't exist who had hardware mixing in their sound cards.
                    it uses on the order of $1 worth of cpu, so why should anybody care about people who bought $100 card for doing the same thing ?

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                      You don't have to try it to know the ideology sucks.
                      you don't have to have brains to judge software by ideology.(and you badly misunderstood systemd's ideology, btw)

Comment

Working...
                      X