Next-Gen OpenGL To Be Shown Off Next Month

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
    Apple Metal is right now non-contender with OGL Next on OSX.

Apple Metal is subset of OpenGL 3.3 feature wise. (Plus bunch of performance features centered around CPU usage).

Apple would have a long way to go to have something rivaling OpenGL Next.
    Its doable, and may be easier for Apple to do, compared to implementing OpenGL Next.

But Apple is not there yet.
    Interesting. I always assumed that apple would eventually bring Metal to OSX, but from what you are saying, it would need some improvements for that to happen. The fact that they haven't done it yet is very telling, I don't know enough about Metal, but perhaps it is geared specifically for mobile and not suitable for desktop as it is?

Comment

Originally posted by paulpach View Post
      Interesting. I always assumed that apple would eventually bring Metal to OSX, but from what you are saying, it would need some improvements for that to happen. The fact that they haven't done it yet is very telling, I don't know enough about Metal, but perhaps it is geared specifically for mobile and not suitable for desktop as it is?
      The way I see it:
      Microsoft Locked-down + Directx + Mantle = Directx 12
      Apple Locked-down + OpenGL + Mantle = Metal
      OpenGL + Mantle + Khronos/Everyone else - OpenGL = glNext?

I'm saying + Mantle because it seems like everything is doing CPU performance improvements, essentially doing what Mantle did.

Plot twist: Mantle is the codename for the next OpenGL. The open source ready-to-be-used version of Mantle, is glNext
      Last edited by profoundWHALE; 04 February 2015, 06:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by paulpach View Post
        Apple doesn't really care about their desktop, they are focused entirely on iOS right now.

I don't think there's anything to really stop them from bringing it to their desktop, they just haven't bothered doing so yet and probably won't until they get some real usage in iOS and it proves itself. Maybe GL Next will make it unnecessary, maybe not. I'm sure they will wait a year and evaluate how things have gone at that point.

Comment

Working...
        X