Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I Switched (Back) Over To Fedora As My Main OS & It's Going Great!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's cool that you switched back to Fedora Michael. I recently switched to it myself. (I also first used it back when Fedora Core 1 came out and off and on after.) I'm really liking Fedora 21 though. I guess what I like about it is that it just seems very professional to me and I'll add that it works great on my AMD Radeon R9 270x with the Radeon driver. Overall though, I think it's a nice balance between user friendliness and power.

It's definitely my distro of choice going forward. It just feels right to me, but hey, that's why we have choice. In the end, Linux is Linux.

Comment

wow now we have kind of conspirance theoretics in the opensource movement, nutjobs that hate opensource projects, because all the evil fanboy developers and maintainers did force them to use this software.

But still, no substance... just claimes that some big numbers of people would hate it without any hints or sources that makes that plausible.

Yes of course many mix stuff into this and go with the people that startet this, some hate just redhat, some hate one person behind the project, and many just hate change in general till they used it some time till they see that at least it makes no difference for them and more likely they like the better usertools.

So ask anything about some change and around 50% of the people hate it. because we all are lazy and hate change its a human thing. At least for the most part.

But please stop it 1 person who hates systemd tries to make that the major subject of this fedora thread, even systemd has less to do with fedora, people who hate systemd cant use ubuntu or debian or suse or archlinux. so 99% of all linux distros are gone. Just use bsd then you get your "real" unix...

Comment

Originally posted by drago01 View Post
        Again for the majority (that doesn't have to include you) its just an implementation detail. Those user only notice that there system boots up a bit faster and that's basically it.
        Until systemd breaks something -again-... Even though they may have no idea what caused it, they care. All they may know is that something is broken -again-. They definitely care.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
          Until systemd breaks something -again-... Even though they may have no idea what caused it, they care. All they may know is that something is broken -again-. They definitely care.
          I used it on VoidLinux in 2013 and Fedora all year 2014 and so far in 2015 without a hiccup. (Funnily enough, the VoidLinux developer doesn't like systemd - but he made it work flawlessly when I ran Void.)

Red Hat is the biggest player in the commercial Linux space, you can bet they'll throw all the resources needed at systemd if something goes awry. I have seen rumors of systemd horror stories, but I've never seen evidence of anything going wrong with it. I'm sure it happens in development, the question is what happens in production.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post
            I used it on VoidLinux in 2013 and Fedora all year 2014 and so far in 2015 without a hiccup. (Funnily enough, the VoidLinux developer doesn't like systemd - but he made it work flawlessly when I ran Void.)

Red Hat is the biggest player in the commercial Linux space, you can bet they'll throw all the resources needed at systemd if something goes awry. I have seen rumors of systemd horror stories, but I've never seen evidence of anything going wrong with it. I'm sure it happens in development, the question is what happens in production.
            Well, in that respect I agree with you. RH excels at making decent products.

I like RH. I don't have any major problems with them, except for their choice of software.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post

really I never did hear such thing.

And for the systemd-hater guy I take it back using bsd is no alternative they will make a systemd like system too:
              Slides: http://www.slideshare.net/iXsystems/jordan-hubbard-free-bsd-the-next-10-yearsiXsystems is a leading provider of Open-Source server and storage soluti...

Back to the topic:
              Fedora is pretty good system, one advantage over archlinux is that you can install it on a pc from somebody that dont want to mess around with their pc very often or want that updates break often much. kernel updates seldom breaks stuff (except you use blobs).

so you can install fedora to noobs. you cant do that with archlinux. But you get pretty new software what most people tend to like on the desktop.

Comment

FreeBSD doesn't support some of the hardware I have. It won't work.

systemd does -not- equal linux. For all of you that keep saying that it does, please go bury your head in the sand further. It's not deep enough yet.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                  Like I said, the vocal folks are the minority. Those folks that are vocal about liking it, are the minority of the folks that like it. Those folks (like me) that are vocal about hating it, are the minority of the folks that hate it.

I have no idea what the exact split between haters and likers are though. I always really hope that more people hate it, but that's only my opinion.
                  that is your hope and hope cannot be opinion.... EVER

arch started using it and lost almost 0 popularity. opensuse started using it and look... same result. fedora uses it from beginning... holly shit, same result. ubuntu/debian plans on using it and you don't see people flocking away en mass on that reason. whole thing is reduced to few vocal people that make 0 difference

and there is one important thing at hating some tech. understanding why, which you don't

Comment

We're going to have another flame war about systemd? Really?
                    Posts and writings by Lennart Poettering

If you start at the bottom and work your way up, Poettering lays out the reasons the systemd team had for their design choices. I can't fault any of them.

Comment

I used to really enjoy Fedora around Fedora 14 and 16. I thought the distro at that time was almost perfect. Then things went downhill pretty fast after that. I never looked back.

I honestly found other distro's that fit my ideals much better like Crux, Arch and Gentoo. Although at this point I prefer Crux over the others but still try out Arch and Gentoo every now and then to see what has changed. I just like having the ability, for me it feels a bit more easy, to customize the distro in a fashion that appeals more to me with these 3 distro's. I still love E16, been using it for something like 14yrs now. I dislike kde and gnome etc but I see there place especially for newcomers to Linux so they have something similar to windows so they don't feel as lost moving to a completely different DE/WM. E17 I really enjoy the bling effect it has but I dislike the Mac look it sports. Hence why I still use E16.

In the end... with steam streaming and steam support on Linux I now have one windows computer that can stream games to my Linux computers if I decide to play a game that is not native. Other than that I have all my computers Linux now and even my Mom and Dad are running Linux and they prefer it over windows mostly because they don't have to call me all the time to fix the things anymore. I appreciate it as well.

So.. back to Fedora... I hope Fedora has regained some of it's quality it lost some time ago as it was a very solid distro back in the 14 and 16 era. I would assume they still have a great community as well on the fedora forums with a lot of knowledgable people. At this point though.... who cares what people really use as long as it's Linux?

Comment

Working...
                      X