Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

fictional news - What will happen after the fall of BSD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Distrowatch news - Tesserax, a port of ZevourPhoenix to the Indyx kernel

Distrowatch news - Tesserax, a port of ZevourPhoenix to the Indyx kernel

The A tight community around the Indyx-Team built a new Distribution using the Indyx kernel, called Tesserax. Tesserax tries to combine the base system of OpenPhoenix with the XBPS package management and the Indyx-kernel. The choice fell on the OpenPhoenix-derivate ZevourPhoenix, because ZevourPhoenix already combined the OpenPhoenix-userland with the XBPS package system.

Comment

Podcast: Roomtime - Camix, The operatring system for stable internet servers

Podcast: Roomtime - Camix, The operatring system for stable internet servers

Moderator: Kaspar Engel, Guest: Cryoco, Bernd Walker
      Kaspar Engel: Hello, this is Kaspar Engel, welcome to the Roomtime episode 121. Today we will talk about Camix, a Unix like operating system for scalable and stable internet servers. So that everything gets content, I welcome two guests, Cryoco and Bernd Walker. Hello.
      Cryoco: Hello.
      Bernd Walker: Hi.
      Kaspar Engel: So, you are both Camix users.
      Cryoco: Yes.
      Kaspar Engel: And for what are you using it?
      Bernd Walker: Mainly, we use Camix for work.
      Cryoco: We are system administrators, and all servers, i administrate, run exclusively on Camix. Because it is the operating system that...
      Kaspar Engel: And how many servers are you running?
      Cryoco: Many. I don't know how many, but more than some dozen.
      Kaspar Engel: What are you using on your desktops?
      Cryoco: I use a Apple Mac.
      Bernd Walker: I use Manjaro, a GNU/Linux distro.
      Kaspar Engel: What is Camix, and why should we use Camix?
      Cryoco: Why Camix? Because it is nicely stable and fast.
      Bernd Walker: I set up a server with camix when OpenPhoenix was released, and this server ran a long time and it ran and ran and there was hardly any problem. I was just amazed of its incredible stability.
      Cryoco: Camix is a kernel that is licensed under the Apache License and was build using the ICAS-Framework wich was also Apache licensed. It began at the Cambridge University, when some students, me included, started to assemble an unix-like kernel out of the ICAS Component framework. ICAS is a Framework made by Software and Appliance-companies, that simply wanted an open sourced and permissively licensed collection of parts to base their, mostly proprietary, software on. As ICAS was a very stable and promising framework with good code quality, we decided to build an unix kernel out of it.
      Kaspar Engel: Wasn't there a Unix kernel based on ICAS already?
      Cryoco: There were a few closed source ones, GXG-Unix for example, but we decided, to make an open source one.
      Bernd Walker: Camix is extensively ICAS is based and mostly written in C++, unlike Linux. ICAS contains that bare-metal stuff like drivers, virtual memory, process management and also subsystems like Filesystems and Networking. By the way, it contains, the "new" reference implementation of TCP/IP, IPv6 and IPSec.
      Kaspar Engel: Let us come to buzzwords like Vfs and Bdi. What is that?
      Cryoco: Vfs stands for Virtual Filesystem and is, like in the orginal unix, a interface between the kernel and the current filesystem. Bdi is the interface for the storage devices. Disk drivers, for example, are Bdi providers. The 64fs filesystem driver is a Bdi consumer and Vfs provider. B2DE, a disk encryption driver, or VBM - a soft-RAID driver - are Bdi consumer as well as provider.
      Kaspar Engel: What notable features are also built into Camix?
      Bernd Walker: There is a feature for OS-Level virtualisation, that uses the fact, that the kernel represents the Unix Environment as an root-object. It simply spawns more root-objects. Also a notable feature is the Process management and tracking subsystem "pgroups".
      Kaspar Engel: Is "pgroups" related to Linux' "cgroups" or even ported from Linux?
      Cryoco: Nope. It's name is inspired by "cgroups" but that's it. It was never intented by to implement resource controlling like "cgroups". It was just intented as process tracking subsystem. For resource controlling you could use the context based security system.
      Kaspar Engel: Conclusion. Why do you like Camix?
      Cryoco: I Like Camix, because it works.
      Bernd Walker: I Like Camix, because it is incredibly stable, fast and rock solid.

Comment

Phoronix - Benchmarks: Ubuntu server vs. Oracle linux (UEK) vs. OpenPhoenix

Phoronix - Benchmarks: Ubuntu server vs. Oracle linux (UEK) vs. OpenPhoenix
        For your viewing pleasure today are some benchmarks of OpenPhoenix compared to Ubuntu 14.10 and Oracle Linux with Oracle's unbreakable enterprise kernel.
        The system that used for today's benchmarking of Ubuntu, Oracle Linux and OpenPhoenix was an Intel Xeon Rack Server (3.10GHz base frequency; 3.5GHz turbo frequency; 10 cores + Hyper Threading), 16GB of DDR4 system memory and Intel Ethernet 10 Gbit/s. All of the same hardware and BIOS/UEFI settings were used in testing across the different operating systems.

Type Ubuntu Oracle Linux OpenPhoenix
        BlogBench| score (more is better) 353673 1190103 1330212
        PostMark | fittest (more is better) 2083 2739 4098
        C-Ray v1.1 | seconds (less is better) 67.32 63.82 51.31
        Compile Bench v0.7 | MB/s (more is better) 190.31 288.21 360.32
        Loopback TCP: 10GB | seconds (less is better) 20.33 18.37 9.10
        Network TCP: 10GB | seconds (less is better) 25.38 23.23 12.02
        OpenPhoenix outperformed both Ubuntu server and Oracle Linux in all benchmarks. Respect. It is a surprising result in those days when linux ruled the benchmarks.

Comment

How the Camix Project describes itself

Camix is an advanced computer operating system Kernel used to power modern servers and embedded platforms. It features superior performance and throughput in comparison to other platforms such as Windows Server and Linux. This is the reason, why Camix is the platform of choice for most high traffic back bone internet routers, email- and usenet providers and many of the busiest web sites.

Camix also contains the new reference implementation of the TCP/IP (both v4 and v6) protocol suite.

Comment

Cnet: Netflix considering Camix (Rumor)

Cnet - Netflix to Camix to replace servers powered by FreeBSD (Rumor)

A reputable source has told us that Netflix has begun deploying tests of Camix, the new operating system based off of OpenPhoenix, and will be deployed by the end of the year. Netflix has been running exclusively FreeBSD, and although development and support has ceased, FreeBSD is a well known operating system that is focused on performance and has even outperformed Linux when handling network traffic. However, in a recent benchmark by Phoronix, OpenPhoenix performs well above Linux and boasts better support and security with the commercial backing of fortune 500 companies.
            "It's happening now because of frustrations in regards to security and the difficulty of hiring programmers that still know FreeBSD.", which is no surprise considering other recent news. Apple has been increasing their selling prices on almost all of their devices due to "rising costs in software development".

Comments

JerrylikesGin
            What the heck does Apple have to do with this? I thought they used slaves- Er, I mean very low paid Asian workers.
            yodabeggins
            @JerrylikesGin I think you found the "reputable source"

Chris -Cnet-
            @JerrylikesGin @yodabeggins Our source is not disclosed due to privacy concerns.

yodabeggins
            @Chris @JerrylikesGin Why did you include "Apple" if you didn't want them disclosed?

GiggityB
            @Chris ( ͡? ͜ʖ ͡?)
            Last edited by profoundWHALE; 19 March 2015, 07:00 PM.

Comment

OSNews - The Camix-Foundation releases YFS

YFS is a 64 bit Copy-on-Write filesystem for Camix, with functionality comparable with ZFS and Btrfs. YFS features compression and supports snapshots, multiple filesystems and multiple disks per "YPool".
              The block devices can be accessed with different on-disk formats. HDDs for example are better used together with optimized data-locality while SSDs usually perform better with a log-structured on-disk format. YFS can optionally store the data in CAS-Mode (content-adressable storage mode), that stores all data-blocks with their skein-hashes as key, having full on-the-fly deduplication as a side-effect.
              YFS will be incorporated into Camix 1.3, for Camix 1.2 a loadable kext is available.

Comment

The Indyx Project: Main Page

Free, Fast and Secure!

The Indyx project produces a FREE, multi-platform xv6-based UNIX-like operating system. Our efforts emphasize standardization, correctness, proactive security, stability and high performance. Indyx completes the xv6 code base with innovative features like the rock-solid SIVM memory manager, the fast 64fs and the high throughput HTN.i-tcpip networking stack. It is available on current hardware platforms.

The source code is freely available under the MPL 2.0 and can be downloaded from the Indyx Kernel Archives.

A current distribution of Indyx together with a whole SVR4-userland is Tesserax.

Comment

Prolinux.US - ZevourPhoenix introduces perlpkg

The Camix-distro ZevourPhoenix has introduced perlpkg, a ambitious project that enables the installation of CPAN packages through the xbps package manager.

The usual way to install CPAN-Modules was to eighter use the "cpan" command line tool or to install it using the system's package manager. While cpan is often slow because of fresh compilation and time-consuming unit-tests (complicated to turn-off), the operating system's package repository usually offers just a subset of cpan and/or somtimes lacks recent versions.

ZevourPhoenix' perlpkg is a frontend to xbps (or any other package manager). Together with perlpkg, the pkgbuild plugin pkgbuild-perlpkg has been released, in order to continuosly build and package the CPAN "module distributions" for the xbps packager. Pkgbuild-perlpkg crawls a given CPAN mirror for packages, extracts the dependencies, builds and then packages it.

At the end, perlpkg is both a naming convention and a convenient xbps-frontent together with a plugin for the "pkgbuild" build server, "perlpkg install CGI::Application" for example runs "xbps-install perlpkg-cgi-application" in order to install the requested CPAN-Package.

Comments

JoemanHiggs
                  These Camix guys are awesome. Changes to the OS-Structure are seldom and gentle yet fancy.

James
                  I like OSs like this. Traditional yet innovative and easy to use.

Merby
                  A vital improvement for countless perl devs and ops.

BsdSucks
                  An archaic and mediocre OS-Structure and fancy innovations. How does this fit together?

James
                  @BsdSucks I Think about this question every time, i sit in front of such a braidead Ubuntu server.

BsdSucks
                  @James I'm actually talking about the Camix OS and it's *Phoenix distros. I mean, it still uses an archaic base-system concept. BSD already failed becaus of that. It's developers are so obdurate, they just don't learn from linux.

JoemanHiggs
                  @BsdSucks ZevourPhoenix' OS-Structure is mature, not archaic or mediocre!

Comment

[Same mail list]
                    Stallman says not to use Climax or Indyx they infringe user's freedoms and says that with the new update Hurd is already usable, now with support 2 trackpad fingers for all 2006 thinkpad

Comment

[Same mail list]
                      Stallman also says not to use Linux-distros that offer the ability to install nonfree software or firmware, as they also infringe user's freedoms.
                      And Steam is evil. :^D

Comment

Working...
                      X