Khronos Needs Your Help Designing Next-Generation OpenGL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by swoorup View Post
    Anyone mentioning higher number sounds better is the worst jargon trash I have ever heard.
    Might depend of current psychology of the masses Economy likes higer numbers, benchmark people also likes higher numbers... higher numbers means something even if it does not worth that much.

If it does not mean anything Ubuntu and Google Chrome and Windows probably will never exists... PC and any economy depends on higher numbers, otherewise companies will starts to do *more* something else.

Fedora, Ubuntu, Arch ... for what those are for? Release often means virtually increasing potential so numbers even if quality suffers more people often like them.
    Last edited by dungeon; 17 January 2015, 08:35 PM.

Comment

They should just call it OpenGL 1.0 to confuse everyone. Imagine people trying to get it to run on an MX440...

Comment

No, they should call it OpenGL 0 and in future only go backwards, no one does that -1, -2, etc...

People likes more positive numbers, negative or smaller well always sounds more negative

Comment

I couldn't think of a good name, either. OpenGL NG sounds good now, but it won't be quite as NG later on. In general the open part is pretty nice, only the GL part is rather odd (it's an API, not a library).

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
          OpenGL 5 is small number , if i counted right OpenGL 5 will be 20th iteration of OpenGL, so they can easealy call it BOGL 20
          BFG 9000!

Comment

I was expecting a little more from the survey than a name suggestion, but I complied with FastPath; either as a prologue or epilogue, eg. OpenGL FastPath. It's the correct terminology for what I'd assume is brewing which is for the reduction in the call chain to the GPU.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
              If they are looking for a name OpenMantleX13 would be the best.
              This is actually a really good codename for whatever this next OpenGL will be called. I'd only change it to OpenMantleX1.2-GL

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                Most devs are idiots.

I know this because I'm a dev myself and can admit the truth.
                Made my day! I also like your comparison about JS vs C usage and how well you describe JS. Reminds me of this talk.

Comment

Working...
                X