Khronos Needs Your Help Designing Next-Generation OpenGL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gamerk2 View Post
    So in other news, DX12 hardware is starting to hit the shelves, and API is basically ready to go, and OGLNG isn't even defined yet. Way to stay behind the curve Khronos.
    I took the survey. All it is doing is looking for the right name, it has nothing to do with what the API will look like.

Comment

Originally posted by hoohoo View Post
      The survey is entirely questions about how I perceive OpenGL.
      Two really brilliant ones:
      1) how would I view it if the name of next gen OpenGL contains the word "open"?
      2) how would I view it if the name of next gen OpenGL contains the word "GL"?

WTF is this? Khronos wants to know if I like the freaking name?
      this is purely speculation

those 2 questions are actually making most sense if you try understanding what they meant. they are checking how people perceive their trademark and how important both parts are. aka. how much role does referring standard as open play the role and how much as gl. aka. what would you need to recognize that this is gl and at same time without doubt think "it's brand new, not just update"

one of the things they are probably aware is that with big change they also need to direct marketing into direction which will not mislead as "just another opengl". call it opengl 5 and it will be just another version in most peoples minds. sadly, this is how most people are wired.

in my wild guess i'd say they have few new names in mind and mostly derived from opengl, they just want to be sure to retain with most important perception under which we recognize it

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
        they just want to be sure to retain with most important perception under which we recognize it
        If i hear OpenGL i have this image in my mind.

Comment

AMD already offered Khronos Mantle lock stock and barrel. There shouldn't be anything left except making an API that will work with Nvidia.

Trim the fat out of OGL4
          Incorporate Mantle into new API
          Port the API everywhere
          Done

Comment

Originally posted by grndzro View Post
            AMD already offered Khronos Mantle lock stock and barrel. There shouldn't be anything left except making an API that will work with Nvidia.
            Then D3D12 and the OGL 5 are more or less the same? A BF4 dev from Dive twittered some time ago that the D3D12 Spec reads like the Mantle documentation.

Comment

Originally posted by computerquip View Post
              I guess nobody read the big highlighted message. The survey is about the name.
              Yeah, you are correct.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
                Then D3D12 and the OGL 5 are more or less the same? A BF4 dev from Dive twittered some time ago that the D3D12 Spec reads like the Mantle documentation.
                Most devs are idiots.

I know this because I'm a dev myself and can admit the truth.

Comment

My suggested name was "Graphalicious."

Comment

Originally posted by emblemparade View Post
                    My suggested name was "Graphalicious."
                    +1

Comment

I think openGL 5 would be ok. I tried to think for a better name, but nothing came out. There might be better names, but certainly some people would like to call it LibreGL.

Comment

Working...
                      X