X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why Not Wired? Cost?

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Protecting The 32+ System Linux Test Farm With Nest Protect

The latest IP assignments for our 32+ system open-source Linux benchmarking test farm isn't for more benchmarking systems at this time but rather for the smoke alarms. Adding the Nest Protect devices give a bit more peace of mind running many computers on residential wiring.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=21303
    Why are devices like the thermostat and detector also offered in "wired" versions? Even "punchdown block" terminals and a cheep 10/100 Realtek (ugh! did I suggest that?) chip must be cheeper to implement than a Wi-Fi interface.

Sure, "wired" will have limited applications, but it can also be installed when a home or apartment block is built. Even "post build retrofit" is possible in many cases, assuming you can "fish" your walls with wire; I have, and yes it can be a hassle to install, but it's a helluva lot more secure and a helluva lot less congested than Wi-Fi signals, not to mention being "expandable" in the sense I can always add a small switch in the room to "fan out" to more "not in the wall" devices. Anyone ever use the (now) HP (formerly 3Com) IntelliJack products, an Ethernet switch embedded in a surface-mount wall outlet format? Cool idea, no?

Oh wait a minute. Wi-Fi is "so kewl" and "wired" is "so yesterday" with today's younger folks.

Just the same, if NEST wanted me to consider spending $$ of their products, they should also offer a "wired" version of their various devices that I can monitor their readings over my own network within my own home, especially if they make it a simple (avoid all the splashy glitzy web UI crap, which is probably demanded by marketing types anyway) HTTP interface. If a "wired" device needs to talk to the Internet, give me that choice also, but don't make the operation of the device dependent upon Internet access since that is the impression I get of all NEST products.

Oh wait a minute. I forgot. To keep these devices cheep, "I am the product" because my data is aggregated (or not?) while monitoring my usage (and snooping me?), right Google?

Comment

Michael has a lot of cool stuff, besides server equipment iirc he owns a pink windowless van with a cool "free candy" logo.

Comment

Originally posted by NotMine999 View Post
        Why are devices like the thermostat and detector also offered in "wired" versions? Even "punchdown block" terminals and a cheep 10/100 Realtek (ugh! did I suggest that?) chip must be cheeper to implement than a Wi-Fi interface.

Sure, "wired" will have limited applications, but it can also be installed when a home or apartment block is built. Even "post build retrofit" is possible in many cases, assuming you can "fish" your walls with wire; I have, and yes it can be a hassle to install, but it's a helluva lot more secure and a helluva lot less congested than Wi-Fi signals, not to mention being "expandable" in the sense I can always add a small switch in the room to "fan out" to more "not in the wall" devices. Anyone ever use the (now) HP (formerly 3Com) IntelliJack products, an Ethernet switch embedded in a surface-mount wall outlet format? Cool idea, no?

Oh wait a minute. Wi-Fi is "so kewl" and "wired" is "so yesterday" with today's younger folks.

Just the same, if NEST wanted me to consider spending $$ of their products, they should also offer a "wired" version of their various devices that I can monitor their readings over my own network within my own home, especially if they make it a simple (avoid all the splashy glitzy web UI crap, which is probably demanded by marketing types anyway) HTTP interface. If a "wired" device needs to talk to the Internet, give me that choice also, but don't make the operation of the device dependent upon Internet access since that is the impression I get of all NEST products.

Oh wait a minute. I forgot. To keep these devices cheep, "I am the product" because my data is aggregated (or not?) while monitoring my usage (and snooping me?), right Google?
        To avoid confusion, the wired smoke detector is that it's running off +120V AC wiring in the house, rather than primarily just a battery. Both models use WiFi for networking.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by NotMine999 View Post
          Many companies that sponsor things can usually provide "cloth like" banners that can be hung. Sometimes these banners are "extras" that were once used at tradeshows. I'm not sure which is cheeper, paper or cloth, but the "impact" can be similar.
          ... thats a regular sublimation ink inkjet printing on textile. One can do it himself

Comment

Pretty scary to let a NEST upload detailed information about your home to the internet. Particularly anything related to occupancy.

Is there any way to read the nest protect sensors directly without giving the Nest access to the internet?

Do the products that "work with nest" actually talk directly to the nest devices, or do they need acccess to the internet as well?

Kinda scary to have something linked to a nest protect to help save lives and have it fail because of an internet related problem. After all one of the first things to go out in a disaster is your internet connection, but you might still have power if you have a UPS or generator.

Seems pretty silly to have all this fancy functionality in a nest thermostat and smoke detector, then not have it work when you really need it.

Comment

Working...
            X