Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by souenzzo View Post
    So, no GCC for gnome-software users?
    Correct - you'd install Eclipse instead.

If Linux is to succeed even just a little bit in the real world, it'll need a "sandbox" environment for the retards^H^H^H^H to play in. Also known as the default desktop environment.

*That* insight is why Steve Jobs was a genuious, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by bluedragon777 View Post
      Remember why Linus switched from gnome to KDE a while ago?I don't know which interface he uses right now though...
      GNome Shell with (atleast) frippery Favourites extension installed if his recent post on upgrading to Fedora 21 is used as a guide.

(IMO that also makes the next quote in your post meaningless...)

So, no GCC for gnome-software users?
      GCC can be installed - it just wont be an option in and of itself - it will be pulled in by something GUI. Or there is the default installed DevAssist in Fedora - you choose the development environment that you want to cater for and it installs all the relevant packages to get you started.

Comment

Well, that why it's called "GNOME Software".
        If I wanted CLI applications, I would use CLI to install it. Period.
        I think this is the way to go.

Comment

Well it seems GNOME wants to leverage a GNOME experience.

But there is nothing preventing a user from doing, sudo apt-get install synaptic.

Comment

That still ignores the fact that Linux is a big no-no for intermediate computer users...or how I like to call them the "geek squad":Your average 15 year old high school geek.Or a computer geek who is older than 20 but computers aren't his profession.Those kids in the street that run around installing windows to your neighbours?Why do they install windows and not Mint or Ubuntu?Because they(not the neighbours themselves) like Windows more.

Honestly anyone with a brain is able to design a user friendly GUI IMHO.Not everyone knows how to make it powerful.I have seen Linux interfaces that are so simple that any kid that is able to read can use them.Also I consider this same problem one of the reasons why metro in windows 8 desktop failed.It is simple but not powerful.Toddlers can use metro but windows admins think it is an abomination.

How can we attract more of those intermediate users?By making better GUI desktop administration tools.Something like Yast,the Mandriva control center or Windows control panel except better and more powerful.

Also seems to me like Gnome is doing the same thing for what Canonical is often criticised...doing decisions on their own without asking the community.
            Last edited by bluedragon777; 02 January 2015, 08:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by soulsource View Post
              My suggestion would be to have a popup dialogue window when starting the App Store for the first time (or maybe every time with a checkbox "Don't show this again"), that clearly tells the user that the Gnome App Store just presents a limited selection of the available programs, and that for a complete list one should use a complete package manager frontend. The dialogue could also contain a link that directly installs such a frontend with a GUI.
              For me this is the best choice because it satisfies everyone :
              • Linux newbies will learn that some packages don't have a GUI and they need to use it from the CLI.
              • Linux users coming from another Desktop Environment will not be confused from this GNOME software center.
              • Linux and GNOME experts: no problem.

Comment

my thoughts exactly

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

But there is nothing preventing a user from doing, sudo apt-get install synaptic.
                my thoughts exactly. heck, if GNOME wants to make a piece of software that only installs GNOME-only applications, then so be it. We will always have apt-get and synaptic for everyone else. It's up to the major distros to use what they feel is more geared toward their userbase. Ubuntu will continue to use their store, debian based distros will continue to use synaptic, arch will continue to use pacman, etc. And if any distro wants to use GNOME Software, then they can modify it before shipping their release to show whatever they want.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

you should check facts before accusations

gnome software shows every software that provides appdata.xml. you can for example check out under development tools and you'll find Qt Designer (and whole lot of Qt software) which as far as I know is not Gnome related

Comment

No I don't think it should cover cli app. If that's what you want then you should be using the distros package manager. The app store is stupid anyway. Use the f-ing package manager.

Comment

So does this come as the default package management GUI on non-GNOME spins of Fedora? That would be dumb, IMO. Otherwise... don't care.

Comment

Working...
                      X