Joey Hess Resigns From Debian, Unhappy With How It's Changed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gens View Post
    mount(8) will tell you when something can't be mounted...
    it will even be logged...

and if it can't be mounted, it can't be corrupted...
    Unix philosophy is referring to program input/output chains not actual FS corruption.

As an example in this case take a program/script that takes files as input and outputs them elsewhere.Imagine you have a script that mirrors your /mn/music folder(which is a mounted external drive) to your google drive account. A failed mount in this case will result in nuking your online copy since your script will find an empty folder and mirror that "change" to your online space(which is intentional, if i delete a song from my PC i want it gone from my cloud). With systemd's interpretion of the fstab it correctly assumes that the failed mount of the external drive is a critical error and further booting the system will only make the problem worse, which again would be correct in this case. While the actual files on the external drive would be safe, since it wasn't actually mounted, the real damage in this example would be having to upload potentially hundreds of GB of data again.

The init system simply has no way to know which failed boot will mess up data somewhere and which won't. Unless you tell it by specifing no-fail that is.

Comment

Originally posted by SebastianB View Post
      Unix philosophy is referring to program input/output chains not actual FS corruption.

As an example in this case take a program/script that takes files as input and outputs them elsewhere.Imagine you have a script that mirrors your /mn/music folder(which is a mounted external drive) to your google drive account. A failed mount in this case will result in nuking your online copy since your script will find an empty folder and mirror that "change" to your online space(which is intentional, if i delete a song from my PC i want it gone from my cloud). With systemd's interpretion of the fstab it correctly assumes that the failed mount of the external drive is a critical error and further booting the system will only make the problem worse, which again would be correct in this case. While the actual files on the external drive would be safe, since it wasn't actually mounted, the real damage in this example would be having to upload potentially hundreds of GB of data again.

The init system simply has no way to know which failed boot will mess up data somewhere and which won't. Unless you tell it by specifing no-fail that is.
      that's why there is /etc/mtab and /proc/mounts

grep "/my/mount" /proc/mounts || { echo 'thing not mounted, can't sync it' ; exit 1; }

and if it won't be mounted, you will still be able to fully boot your computer

note that an init will run fsck on / before booting, and that should be the only error that deserves a critical status
      idk, does systemd even run fsck by default ?

Comment

idk, does systemd even run fsck by default ?
        Is ignorance your superpower or something?

Comment

Originally posted by psychoticmeow View Post
          Is ignorance your superpower or something?
          from the "manual"
          "Those services are started at boot if passno in /etc/fstab for the file system is set to a value greater than zero."

thats why i'm asking
          is it set ?

is ad hominem an anthem here ?

Comment

Childish

Jeepers, I HOPE it's not the same project you joined in 1996; otherwise I wouldn't even be using Linux. On another note, why must people insist on posting goodbye notes? For goodness sakes just leave. Leaving a note informing people of your temper-tandrum and your departure is childish.

Comment

from the "manual"
              "Those services are started at boot if passno in /etc/fstab for the file system is set to a value greater than zero."

thats why i'm asking
              is it set ?
              Who are you asking exactly?

is ad hominem an anthem here ?
              You were not making an argument, you were just asking questions you could and then did answer yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by psychoticmeow View Post
                Who are you asking exactly?

You were not making an argument, you were just asking questions you could and then did answer yourself.
                what ?
                yes, i asked a question
                if you don't want to answer, then why are you complaining

anyway
                i don't care anymore

Comment

what ?
                  yes, i asked a question
                  if you don't want to answer, then why are you complaining

anyway
                  i don't care anymore
                  I was teasing you for asking a dumb question.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Frett View Post
                    On another note, why must people insist on posting goodbye notes? For goodness sakes just leave.
                    This is only an option if your leaving does not impact anyone else.

In this case, where the person is maintainer of certain components, or when the person has other structural or organisational roles, it is really best practise to announce your upcoming unavailability.

It's a professional thing to do.

Cheers,
                    _

Comment

Originally posted by anda_skoa View Post
                      This is only an option if your leaving does not impact anyone else.

In this case, where the person is maintainer of certain components, or when the person has other structural or organisational roles, it is really best practise to announce your upcoming unavailability.

It's a professional thing to do.

Cheers,
                      _
                      Yup, who build debian packages and not using Joey's dh these days , everybody in Debian and derivatives should know that man leaving really ... he do just normal thing while leaving, probably just Mike Frett is not well informed about Joey contributions within Debian

Comment

Working...
                      X