Systemd 217 Will Introduce Its New "Consoled" User Console Daemon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
    Well, that's obvious enough. It's under the "systemd" umbrella because it's the systemd developers doing it - and it's not under the "Fedora" name because it has nothing to do with Fedora, except in so far as some of the systemd developers work for Redhat...

As to why they put everything into one big code base, that I don't know. I assume it has to do with not wanting to deal with API stability guarantees on internal libraries shared between components.
    well the main reason is because git allows and make it really simple to handle, in the old ages was really messy so people tended to segment repos for easy handling

Comment

Originally posted by maslascher View Post
      Ok, I get it. Systemd makes life a lot easier but not all of users of systemd wants ALL of this stuff. uselessd is a cure for that.
      Not so much. If you look at the uselessd site, they're going a lot further than that. They're not just stripping out all the little add-on modules like consoled or networkd - they're ripping the guts out of the core init functionality too. They're throwing away just about everything... and I'm serious, I can't actually tell from their website what's going to be left once they're finished, because the "removal" list includes things like cgroups that provide the foundation for the entire project.

Comment

Consoled would be something I'd consider using on my BSD boxes, if it would compile against bsdlibc and was BSD-licenced. Good idea, just going to be a crap implementation I bet.

Comment

Originally posted by TeamBlackFox View Post
          Consoled would be something I'd consider using on my BSD boxes, if it would compile against bsdlibc and was BSD-licenced. Good idea, just going to be a crap implementation I bet.
          consoled is based on kmscon and uses the features of Linux kernel which aren't available in any BSD yet.

Comment

I understand Rahul. Since those features are lacking the compilation against BSD and their libc would fail - I don't see where I went wrong with my statement. This is a rare moment of praise for the systemd team, as a BSD user and not as a GNU/Linux user, something I am not.

Comment

Originally posted by TeamBlackFox View Post
              I understand Rahul. Since those features are lacking the compilation against BSD and their libc would fail - I don't see where I went wrong with my statement. This is a rare moment of praise for the systemd team, as a BSD user and not as a GNU/Linux user, something I am not.
              I didn't say you were wrong. I was clarifying why you can't get it to work on BSD. Rare moment of praise? You said - "Good idea, just going to be a crap implementation I bet."

Comment

The 'rare moment of praise' is a little bit of a tongue-in-cheek humour. Normally I'd bash the entire existence of systemd, but here I'm praising the idea, defiling the implementation.

In regards to why it won't work, in addition to the lack of kmscon, there would be other issues long before that: It is well known that systemd is in a monogamous relationship with Glibc so it likely won't compile without hours of work to rewrite code that shouldn't be using GNUisms from the start. Beyond that, I don't pollute my computers with GPL nonsense when a working alternative exists ( BSD has a workable VT framework in the kernel. Not ideal, but it works! ) I just hope someone piggy backs the idea off for the BSDs.

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
                  Not so much. If you look at the uselessd site, they're going a lot further than that. They're not just stripping out all the little add-on modules like consoled or networkd - they're ripping the guts out of the core init functionality too. They're throwing away just about everything... and I'm serious, I can't actually tell from their website what's going to be left once they're finished, because the "removal" list includes things like cgroups that provide the foundation for the entire project.
                  So far there is one person working on uselessd ("the Initfinder General"). So s/their/his/ .

Comment

As a Linux user, you don't have much chances to keep off the toxic systemd grass:

1. Use Slackware, Gentoo, Void Linux. Probably Slackware will outlive the other two though.
                    2. Use *BSD.
                    3. Obey.

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
                      so what is stopping X init system to offer the same features as systemd, nothing just get a guy with enough technical level to speak with with kernel developers and implement at least basic cgroups, namespace and seccomp into it and provide an compatible API, thats it and its way better than rollback systemd to the 80's security structure of sysV just because you arent able to understand why is more secure this way
                      But seccomp and that stuff is completely optional in the kernel. You surely know what you're talking about?

This whole VT thing confuses me. I've disabled all fancy VT stuff from the kernel. I only use the standard 80x25 console. I've disabled NLS, fonts, bootsplash, modesetting.. Isn't that the most basic thing on PC since the dawn of computing? How does it not work inside the kernel?

Comment

Working...
                      X