This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
    it gave me a lot of money from the guys who brought me their computers to ditch it with XP or 7 later
    Now that's a sad statement in the context of a FOSS site. Sad but true, of course. Even when people encounter a really crappy version of Windows pre-installed on their computer they don't realize Microsoft makes them pay for the dubious privilege of beta-testing half-baked ideas. They don't start looking for a different, better OS. They just want another dose of Windoze.

/sigh

Comment

Maybe, but the world is changing. Back in 2006 was difficult to find someone who didn't have a problem to ditch windows (even Vista) for Linux. With windows 8 is much easier. More than half of the puters I convert are with Linux and the rest with windows 7.
      Ofcourse helps the fact that I don't charge for Linux while for windows I ask 50 euros

Comment

Only the previous month I "converted" two girls to Linux Mint Cinnamon (one of them had a black desktop windows 7 which asked for activation), two guys with older laptops to Mint XFCE, one guy to dual boot 8/Mint but soon he will bring me his laptop to free his disk from the eights and just one guy from 8 to 7 but I asked from him only 30 euros because he was poor and these euros are gonna become a donation to Linux Mint. So even with windows 7 he made a small favour to the OSS world

Comment

Windows 10 is still a big fail. Microsoft needs to ditch that ugly preschool interface they call Metro and bring back Aero.

Comment

Been using 10 (TP) since a few hours after it came out; I have no idea what the big deal is with the Start Menu... Takes me longer to navigate to what I want with it, than a customized Start Screen.

This is what I work with:

If I want to open a certain application, I know exactly where to go for it. With a Start Menu, I scroll through a list to find what I want, or use the Search box (which also exists with the Start Screen).

Also note, I use a keyboard and mouse. And yes, I find the Start Screen fully operable.

So, what do people see in the Start Menu honestly? I'm hoping it's more than the mentality of "Start Screen is touchscreen-only and is therefore harder with a K/M"...

Comment

UGLY!

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
                UGLY!
                Haha yeah, and because noone really uses "metro apps", no-one has them on the start screen. So instead we have these large coloured boxes, with small little icons in them looking buggy and legacy.

I find that the Windows 8 / 10 shell is admittedly still much more usable than FOSS desktops today but I think the pinnacle was reached in Windows 2000 and it is kinda regressing from there.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
                  Haha yeah, and because noone really uses "metro apps", no-one has them on the start screen. So instead we have these large coloured boxes, with small little icons in them looking buggy and legacy.
                  I prefer function over aesthetics; but I do agree some work could be done to make the Start Screen look... better. To be fair though, I spend very little of my computer usage on the Start Screen; once I launch a program, my attention goes to that program. Function-wise, I feel it's fine for the most part.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
                    I find that the Windows 8 / 10 shell is admittedly still much more usable than FOSS desktops today but I think the pinnacle was reached in Windows 2000 and it is kinda regressing from there.
                    Hmmm I tend to disagree. Usability for me means a lot more than this collection of ugly squares. If they were usable, the users wouldn't bring me their laptops to ditch em for windows 7 or Linux Mint. I don't even try to compare them with FOSS desktops. They are just not usable (the windows) alone.
                    Last edited by Apopas; 05 October 2014, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post
                      I prefer function over aesthetics;
                      And because you prefer function you chose windows 10? And before that you had windows 8?

Comment

Working...
                      X