X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This again? Facepalm....

Comment

Pay Money for Arch Development?

Currently Arch is by far my favorite linux distro, as their rapid yet stable updates combined with their extremely generic code approach are incredible. I would much sooner donate double the money to the arch linux developers than assist these clowns...

Comment

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
        I have to agree except for a few things with the Unity interface that I don't like:
        - ALT-TAB is basically broken and only a nasty hack really makes it usable
        - Search uses the internet way too much for searching, although I guess that's how they can make money. At least I can disable it.
        - There's no 'Everything search' that search files as well as programs
        - Other minor issues with things not being configured out of the box properly. Graphics is usually okay though. (Assuming AMD or Intel open-source)

I like how the programs are laid out, easy to see and configurable to hide. I like how the windows and overall theme looks, and I like opening programs by typing a name of something in search and hitting enter like Windows 7.
        -I've had no issues with ALT-TAB. I mostly use ALT-GRAVE (`) except when I want to switch across applications and alt-tab has worked without issue for me.
        -to fix the internet problem I uninstalled all scopes and lenses except for the Applications (so I can find apps in dash)
        -I use Find command in Terminal to find files. Nothing beats it. And searching within Gnome Nautilus always works for me too to find files.

I'm not a fan of Canonical's attempts to do everything from the Dash. I much prefer the application approach. To search internet: firefox. To search files: nautilus. etc.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
          While the idea of a laptop that will run on a open stack (from coreboot to DE & drivers) is awesome what these guys are trying to do is not enough. Crappy OEMs won't cut it. People have done it and doesn't seem to attract many. Ie. how many devs you see carrying a System76 laptop instead of a MBook Air.
          While System76 is not mainstream, they are profitable. On this week's Bad Voltage podcast they interviewed a representative of System76, who stated that they are not influenced by the declining PC market at all.

But I don't expect this to be a succes.

Comment

WTF

I read a lot of articles here, however i have yet to register my account. This, though, made me do it.

Looking Towards the Future (Planned Features):Previously you were limited to dragging and dropping into squared areas that are on the entire desktop. No more of that. Now you can place items anywhere on the desktop.
            WTF Really?! I, myself, am using KDE and not XFCE, however isn't that like in the options menu somwhere when you right click? Or somewhere? I actually missed this "OSu" the first time it was written about here, however this is just outrageos. I was hoping to find someone who really has the vision and the funding to bring Linux finally into everyones hands faster. Well, I guess I cannot have everything in the world.

PS: Also please forgive my english, it is not my main language.

Comment

For this to reach it's goal, they need to have about 271 laptop orders.

It might, but I doubt it. Only if they market it as a less than $200 laptop will they break through the market.

Originally posted by medzernik View Post
              I read a lot of articles here, however i have yet to register my account. This, though, made me do it.

PS: Also please forgive my english, it is not my main language.
              Welcome to the forums! Had you not said that English isn't your native language, I wouldn't have guessed it.

Originally posted by tiuykor View Post
              -I've had no issues with ALT-TAB. I mostly use ALT-GRAVE (`) except when I want to switch across applications and alt-tab has worked without issue for me.
              -to fix the internet problem I uninstalled all scopes and lenses except for the Applications (so I can find apps in dash)
              -I use Find command in Terminal to find files. Nothing beats it. And searching within Gnome Nautilus always works for me too to find files.

I'm not a fan of Canonical's attempts to do everything from the Dash. I much prefer the application approach. To search internet: firefox. To search files: nautilus. etc.
              Great ideas! I'll try them out next time. I also like the application approach. Isn't it like the whole UNIX philosophy of having something do one thing and do it well?
              Last edited by profoundWHALE; 22 August 2014, 03:16 PM.

Comment

Hey, there is nothing wrong with a kid looking for his CEO 10k a day early in life! Plus, the video was fine... what did you guys expect, an Apple-like event?

Also, XFCE? XFCE development has stalled quite a bit; though I guess MATE (almost GTK3 ready) and LXQT (almost Qt5 ready) kind of stole its thunder.
                Though, does XFCE HAVE to support GTK3 and Wayland at this moment or in the near future?

Comment

Welcome to the forums!
                  Thanks! I actually didn't know that the forums are so active here, so I will enjoy hours of good readtime

Had you not said that English isn't your native language, I wouldn't have guessed it.
                  Thanks again! Although it may not be too apparent, occasionally i may make few mistakes.

Comment

Originally posted by medzernik View Post
                    Although it may not be too apparent, occasionally i may make few mistakes.
                    Well, you use proper grammar, spell words correctly (or close enough), and phrase things properly. You'd easily pass an English test at a high school here.
                    Last edited by profoundWHALE; 22 August 2014, 03:22 PM.

Comment

Oh, look a laptop http://south.manufacturer.globalsour...lim-Laptop.htm

MOQ:200 Pieces
                      FOB Price: US$ 155 - US$ 200
                      FOB Port:Shenzhen
                      Lead Time: 3 - 15 days

Comment

Working...
                      X