Qualcomm DMCA Notice Takes Down 100+ Git Repositories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by magika View Post
    Never host anything on US-related services so that tyrant laws do not affect you.
    Hard lesson learned, I guess.
    Good luck with that. Europe is also becoming part of the NWO.

Comment

The best is: they took even one of their own repositories down. Yes, the http://github.com/qca is from their Open Source team at Qualcomm/Atheros. And now they lost the qcamain_open_hal_public repository to their legal department.

Sorry, but Atheros has really gone bad after they belong to Qualcomm. Even most of their software engineers (mostly public visible in their Open Source teams) left the company after the "Qualcomm incident". I think all ath9k developers are now gone and only Kalle Valo from ath10k remains. Most ath10k development for Qualcomm is done by an external team from Tieto.

Comment

Originally posted by Slark View Post
        Sorry, but Atheros has really gone bad after they belong to Qualcomm. Even most of their software engineers (mostly public visible in their Open Source teams) left the company after the "Qualcomm incident". I think all ath9k developers are now gone and only Kalle Valo from ath10k remains. Most ath10k development for Qualcomm is done by an external team from Tieto.
        Everybody calls me crazy, but there is a big reason why I do not buy qualcomm based phones.
        Qualcomm has always been a very nasty about licenses and enforcing it. I think Qualcomm has a bigger judical department than development. Look at what they did to android, scaring one of the bigger developers away.
        So vote with your wallet, do not buy qualcomm based phones.
        As for atheros, I don't know. Qualcomm just means bad.

Comment

Looks at the quality of the Adreno drivers...

According to the Dolphin team, Adreno drivers really, really suck. If anything, they could use some help.

Comment

Strolling through the takedown notice:
            Repository with text of DMCA takedown notices as received. GitHub does not endorse or adopt any assertion contained in the following notices. Users identified in the notices are presumed innocent u...

Where irdeto/Blizzard claims the copyright of:
            File Name: https://github.com/justicezyx/interv...0/minvm/README
            File Size: 1
            Timestamp: 08 May 2013 21:50:03 GMT

Yes, you read that correctly: they claim copyright on a file called README of 1 byte big.

Comment

Originally posted by Ardje View Post
              Everybody calls me crazy, but there is a big reason why I do not buy qualcomm based phones.
              Qualcomm has always been a very nasty about licenses and enforcing it. I think Qualcomm has a bigger judical department than development. Look at what they did to android, scaring one of the bigger developers away.
              So vote with your wallet, do not buy qualcomm based phones.
              If you live in the US that means buying Apple. Everything else here is Qualcomm.

I had similar experiences when I was trying to port mplayer2 to the HP TouchPad under webOS. Their OpenMAX implementation decoded to a proprietary colorspace format, and you needed a closed library to convert from that to RGBA-whatever. And of course I couldn't find it anywhere on the device and it was only available in the Android tree, which limited any distribution options. An alternative was to decode the frames straight into an EGL framebuffer and skip the colorspace conversion. But doing so required access to a closed-source header file that isn't available anywhere. I just gave up and installed CyanogenMod on the damn tablet.

Comment

Originally posted by wargames View Post
                Good luck with that. Europe is also becoming part of the NWO.
                Yes, I know that EU is US lapdog, for example half of youtube is blocked for Germany (wth). I meant countries to which US laws do not apply, like Russia or Asia

Comment

Originally posted by magika View Post
                  Yes, I know that EU is US lapdog, for example half of youtube is blocked for Germany (wth). I meant countries to which US laws do not apply, like Russia or Asia
                  Wow, russian trolls have reached phoronix. Didn't expect this one tbh.

Comment

Originally posted by log0 View Post
                    Wow, russian trolls have reached phoronix. Didn't expect this one tbh.
                    Is this a request to put american trolls in red book?

On a more serious note, russian laws are even harder with copyright. But overall direction is right - if you want 100% availability, never host in USA and EU, those countries are plagued by copyright trolls - that is mass removing of content without court direction first.

Comment

So which is the new "git hub"?

Comment

Working...
                      X