Skype 4.3 For Linux Released With Updated UI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by randomizer View Post
    The Skype for Linux version number has finally passed the one for the build I run on Windows.
    Heh, on the one Windows machine I have (which doesn't work with Linux well, unfortunately), I use Skype 3.6. Later versions mess with the UI too much.

Comment

Originally posted by atari314
      Udev, dbus, avahi, pulse audio, systemd...
      Nails in the Linux coffin.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
        Heh, on the one Windows machine I have (which doesn't work with Linux well, unfortunately), I use Skype 3.6. Later versions mess with the UI too much.
        Can you still use this version to connect? In the last couple of months I've not been able to log in using old versions anymore Did you do anything special to get it to work if it does still work aswell please?

Comment

Originally posted by zimano View Post
          Can you still use this version to connect? In the last couple of months I've not been able to log in using old versions anymore Did you do anything special to get it to work if it does still work aswell please?
          Hmm, actually, I haven't tried it in the last couple of months. I don't use that machine for chatting much.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
            I was thinking the same, if PA will be forced on me by skype then i guess i rather drop skype.
            If it is so easy for you to drop Skype, why you have not already?

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
              If it is so easy for you to drop Skype, why you have not already?
              Well i use it for work but we have been looking for alternatives lately and now we will prioritize the switch.
              I can still use previous versions so the switch doesn't need to happen today but it will happen sooner now.
              The share desktop feature, audio and text chat is the ones we use, i do like Skype's share desktop.

Comment

For all the PulseAudio haters:
                1. grab a soundcard that doesn't have a hardware mixer, that's nothing rare as one might think - e.g. any usb headphones don't have a hardware mixer
                2. play some music
                3. run any other app that plays sounds
                4. make it play while the music is playing
                5. enjoy your desktop lag, music stop, playing the other sound and then music resuming, every single time an another app makes a new mail notification, new IM message, etc...

After this blissful experience you will really love PA, as it makes this work properly, and even better than properly.

Note: use PA under a good distro like OpenSUSE, where care has been taken into integrating it, Ubuntu is a bad choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyber Killer View Post
                  1. grab a soundcard that doesn't have a hardware mixer, that's nothing rare as one might think - e.g. any usb headphones don't have a hardware mixer
                  2. play some music
                  5. enjoy your desktop lag, music stop, playing the other sound and then music resuming, every single time an another app makes a new mail notification, new IM message, etc...

After this blissful experience you will really love PA, as it makes this work properly, and even better than properly.

Note: use PA under a good distro like OpenSUSE, where care has been taken into integrating it, Ubuntu is a bad choice.
                  This has never happened to me once in all the years I've used Linux. Neither with alsa nor with oss4.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyber Killer View Post
                    2. play some music

You just forgot configure dmix to have software mixer and per application volume control.

Comment

Originally posted by alexcortes View Post
                      You just forgot configure dmix to have software mixer and per application volume control.
                      But why are dmix better than pulseaudio. As I understands it they are both daemons?

Comment

Working...
                      X