Clear All

• Originally posted by fanATic View Post
    First World Problems.
    Thank you for proving my point.

Comment

First World Problems.
      Not really.
      The term First World Problem is usually used to categorize a problem that is specific to first world countries or societies.
      Discrimination, however, is also present in other socienties, making it a global problem.

Obviously requiring humanity as a species to address it everywhere, each individual starting within their circles.
      For people participating in FOSS, these communities are part of those individuals' circles.

Comment

One word, WIMP. GNOME Shell is not practical for desktop use in its default form, window-centric vs task-centric approach... GNOME 3 was designed with touch interface in mind unlike its predecessors. But, to each his own.
        With couple extensions like "Applications menu", "Places status indicator", "Window list" etc. it is usable for desktop use.
        WIMP means "windows, icons, menus, pointer". GNOME has all of those, so what is your point here? You keep repeating it is not usable or practical without any real argument. Seriously makes me question if you have ever even used it. And yes, extensions, they exist, which makes your and rest of GNOME haters arguments even more invalid. One direct quote from GNOME devs saying it is first and foremost aimed at touchscreens would also be constructive instead of constant stream of bullshit.

That being said, keep up the good fight against TheBlackCat.

Comment

• Well, since we are so off topic... Discrimination against anyone and everyone exists, period. There's only so much we can do about it, and talking about it here isn't going to improve anything unless we all come up I than awesome idea that does.

So, stop the useless talk that is totally unrelated. Useless talk that is related however is a little more... tolerated/accepted.

Comment

• Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
            Well, since we are so off topic... Discrimination against anyone and everyone exists, period. There's only so much we can do about it, and talking about it here isn't going to improve anything unless we all come up I than awesome idea that does.

So, stop the useless talk that is totally unrelated. Useless talk that is related however is a little more... tolerated/accepted.
            Hey! You're being discriminatory against unrelated useless talk. You Topicist .

Comment

• Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
              Well, since we are so off topic... Discrimination against anyone and everyone exists, period. There's only so much we can do about it, and talking about it here isn't going to improve anything unless we all come up I than awesome idea that does.
              We also aren't going to get anywhere if people refuse to admit the problem even exists.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
                We also aren't going to get anywhere if people refuse to admit the problem even exists.
                What problem are we talking about now? This thread is so far off track it's not even funny anymore. No one is saying discrimination doesn't exist but all the vitriol is based off the fact Gnome took donation money and hired women who, it would appear, are not even developers. This is the move of a educational charity not a linux desktop.

This is the problem with the tech industry in a nutshell now. Everyone wants a piece, everyone thinks they belong no matter what their irrelevant skillset it. All the people who sat in their room year after year coding away LONG before it was trendy to be a "nerd" has EARNED their spot in this profession. If only for the sole fact they are completely qualified if not overqualified for the job they get (sadly I usually have to be the latter in the last few years)

All these people crying "white male privilege" need to understand this basic fact. Putting in the time, getting the degree (not diploma) and/or having years of professional relevant experience makes you qualified. You want to know what privilege is? What entitlement is? It's expecting a spot among the qualified people just because you think you deserve it or because you perceive some kind of bullshit injustice of why your "discriminated" against. Hell for all the women bitching (usually irrelevant "tech" bloggers) about how there aren't enough women in tech, why in hell do they not get off their asses themselves and start doing actual development. Nothing is stopping them. I would have killed for something like the internet and it's near unlimited resources when I started.

I mean ffs if you want to look at this from a computer science angle is there even such a thing as a "feminine bubble sort" or "transgender red black tree" as if the person coding it matters? Computers do not care, period, programming is a strictly intellectual pursuit.

Comment

• Originally posted by ParticleBoard View Post
                  What problem are we talking about now? This thread is so far off track it's not even funny anymore. No one is saying discrimination doesn't exist but all the vitriol is based off the fact Gnome took donation money and hired women who, it would appear, are not even developers. This is the move of a educational charity not a linux desktop.
                  That's utter nonsense. They hired women who are developers and in any case, it is not just developers that GNOME needs. It is also people who are artists, designers, documentation and translation folks etc. This sort of misguided assertions that those women aren't developers is precisely the problem we are talking about.

Comment

• Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
                    That's utter nonsense. They hired women who are developers and in any case, it is not just developers that GNOME needs. It is also people who are artists, designers, documentation and translation folks etc. This sort of misguided assertions that those women aren't developers is precisely the problem we are talking about.
                    I hope I am wrong. And hiring artists would be gravy as that is the one spot linux seems to fall down. Man I would love to see a large chunk of money put into hiring good artists.

That said proof will be in the pudding. I guess we'll all wait and see if this whole thing was a success or failure. Then we can collectively put on our pedantic fedoras and argue what the definition of success is.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
                      Identical CVs or applications are judged as lower if they have a woman's name on it compared to if they have a man's name on it.
                      (citation needed)

Most companies I worked for in the UK would hire a female developer over a similarly qualified male developer, becuase they already had plenty of those. They just rarely received any CVs from female developers.

Comment

Working...
                      X