No announcement yet.

The GNOME Foundation Is Running Short On Money

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been a gnome user all my life. It worked fine, it looked fine, and it followed some how the kiss principle.

I've been using gnome 3 until 3.8 and it's "well, ok, I can stand it" with some extensions. But after 3.10 I can't stand it no more. A centralized indicator? Headerbars? Fuck everything, I'll use elementaryOs, I somehow hope they could throw away that headerbar shit - I don't really understand why they need to gain vertical space for an application that is not maximized. I can't believe anymore that "it's the new desktop concept" argument anymore, it's just convergence for tablet users and they haven't learn anything from the Windows 8 dissaster.

And what's that non sense program for women? It's not like there arent many tech-women because of any disadvantage over men, they simply don't want to. They shouldn't spend software donations on something that's not software.

Sorry for my bad English.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
      I think people will resume donating money to the Gnome foundation when they resume development of an *actual* desktop environment.

Hopefully Gnome will die off. Then we can rename Mate back to Gnome and carry on our merry way
      gnome-shell is a very small part of the stack maintained by the GNOME developers. Mate depends on a lot of GNOME libraries/applications and is moving towards using more of the current stack. It's only intended to be a minimal fork of the UX parts they want to change, not everything.

Comment

That's why if there are no clear goals you donate for, you simply don't donate.
        Two - stay away from organizations involved with non-statute affairs.

Also, what message CEOs of Mozilla and Gnome F. sent out recently? That hiring a woman requires extra sanity checks!

Comment

Originally posted by alazar View Post
          I've been a gnome user all my life. It worked fine, it looked fine, and it followed some how the kiss principle.

I've been using gnome 3 until 3.8 and it's "well, ok, I can stand it" with some extensions. But after 3.10 I can't stand it no more. A centralized indicator? Headerbars? Fuck everything, I'll use elementaryOs, I somehow hope they could throw away that headerbar shit - I don't really understand why they need to gain vertical space for an application that is not maximized. I can't believe anymore that "it's the new desktop concept" argument anymore, it's just convergence for tablet users and they haven't learn anything from the Windows 8 dissaster.

And what's that non sense program for women? It's not like there arent many tech-women because of any disadvantage over men, they simply don't want to. They shouldn't spend software donations on something that's not software.

Sorry for my bad English.
          Lol sorry to tell you man but the developers at elementaryOS love headerbars. I agree with you about the sexism. I didn't realize that women were somehow deficient and needed "outreach"; I had assumed they were just as competent and capable as men when it came to programming. At least this effort didn't cause them to go bankrupt...

Comment

Let Gnome die, they shit on the entire community.
            KDE is the most advanced distro now, and they are making Wayland happen.
            Don't like how heavy it is? you can turn off desktop effects and slim it up.
            That's the beauty of linux. if you aren't using it it dosen't run.

Everyone needs to get behind one distro to make it dominant. The other flavors will catch up in due time. Wayland benefits everyone.

All this fragmentation is the reason linux dosent move forward. Choice is a convienient excuse to stroke ego...it does nothing to help Linux.
            One completely dominant distro is needed to get all the players focused. Ubuntu almost had it before they shoved Unity down our throats.

Comment

Originally posted by grndzro View Post
              Let Gnome die, they shit on the entire community.
              KDE is the most advanced distro now, and they are making Wayland happen.
              That's the beauty of linux. if you aren't using it it dosen't run.

Everyone needs to get behind one distro to make it dominant. The other flavors will catch up in due time. Wayland benefits everyone.

All this fragmentation is the reason linux dosent move forward. Choice is a convienient excuse to stroke ego...it does nothing to help Linux.
              One completely dominant distro is needed to get all the players focused. Ubuntu almost had it before they shoved Unity down our throats.
              Your post boggles the mind. I wasn't sure where to start so I googled the word Contradiction for you

Contradiction
              In classical logic, a contradiction consists of a logical incompatibility between two or more propositions. It occurs when the propositions, taken together, yield two conclusions which form the logical, usually opposite inversions of each other.

Yet

Choice is a convienient excuse to stroke ego...it does nothing to help Linux.

Yes thats right remove choice and everything gets shoved down your throat. While I don't disagree that with some things it better to contribute rather than compete you should be aware that there is always pros and cons to each approach. After all isn't choice one of the reasons we are not using Windows in the first place.

Comment

I donate to GNOME because of all the great work done on the underlying technologies which are used by other DEs too. But after years of trying, I still cannot stand the shell. Overall, I'm not a fan of the new trends at all : for sake of simplicity or design, some basic actions are longer to perform, which is nonsense to me.

But still, a lot of people like that. And a lot of good work is spent on those other projects (like Elementary).

I'm very frustrated by this fragmentation, though. We call it "choice" but for me, it's not a "choice" to have 10 different incomplete / lacking DEs instead of a very good one. (have a look at the filemanagers ! Or the built in picture viewer, or PDF viewers. Most of all are VERY lacking and more or less the same app taking different directions. KDE apps stand apart, though...)
                Last edited by torturedutopian; 14 April 2014, 05:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cynical View Post
                  Lol sorry to tell you man but the developers at elementaryOS love headerbars. I agree with you about the sexism. I didn't realize that women were somehow deficient and needed "outreach"; I had assumed they were just as competent and capable as men when it came to programming. At least this effort didn't cause them to go bankrupt...
                  That's the key concept. For the very reason that they are not deficient yet still do not consider to become programmers: if you can convince them to do a programming career, you get better developers with very little efforts.
                  Every women I've managed at work in the end did like the programming part, but did not really want to program until they actually had to. This means there's a huge pool out there of would-be talented programmers, that would enjoy programming, but have been convinced somehow that they would not like it/should not try it.

That's what outreach programs are for. It's not limited to women. For example, the other most usual demographic target is poor people that can have talent but lack the means to higher education (but as for these you need to provide the education, it's more expensive and is usually the government's job).
                  But it can be many groups: IIRC in south korea, there is a noticeable hiring discrimination against gay people, so some big western companies started outreach program so they could get cheaper talented engineers. They are not only for justice or whatever, they simply make economical sense.

Comment

Originally posted by cynical View Post
                    You don't need to be deficient to be discriminated or influenced by society (which doesn't prevent deficient people from being discriminated...)

Comment

I started a monthly donation to GNOME. Considering the really awful comments in this thread, it is quite obvious that the work they do is necessary.
                      Also, GNOME is frickin awesome, so I probably should have started donating years ago

Comment

Working...
                      X