Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So, Microsoft just open sourced most of .NET...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DanLamb View Post
    1. You agree that Scala's syntax is simpler regarding properties/variables with less keywords and syntax complexity and that Scala can usually implement the same property/variable logic with less code. Your point is that this isn't easier? I don't follow.
    Because simpler/less syntax doesn't mean simpler code. Easy as that. Brainfuck only needs 8 chars, yet I'm not going to use it... ever

Are you sure this just isn't what you are used to?
    Well of course this is a reason, but I'm also programming in ruby, python, vb6, javascript, c, iec61131 languages, php and java. So I'm used to a lot of different syntaxes (syntaxi? :-D) not only the c# one.

Comment

Originally posted by jayrulez View Post
      Paul Phillips rant is insightful and entertaining. He's holding Scala to a much higher bar than Java/C#.

Sure, Scala isn't perfect. Many argue that Haskell, Agda, or Idris make less sacrifices and compromises than Scala, however, they are varying levels of experimental. That crowd has formed a consensus that Scala is definitely a better, cleaned up version of Java/C#.

Scala (sullenly): It was Java's idea
      Scala's mom (exasperated): If Java cut off its nose, would you...
      He was just complaining about how Java Comparable defines the result type as "int" with 4 billion states and how Scala just inherited that. C# does the exact same thing.

Comment

are you sure you're answering me?

Earlier, you said there is no decent competition to .NET/C#:
        huh? i said they all suck equally. find one reference where i said that and not refer to my personal preference

And you said Java isn't even close to as good as C#:
        huh? when? i think i was pretty damn clear that "I DON'T LIKE JAVA" as my god damn preference, not the fscking world opinion.

please, stop imagining things

When I articulate how Scala addresses that _exact_ issue better than Java or C#, you dismiss the whole discussion...
        when did i ever asked for that? either you're answering to imaginary questions or you completely missed whom you posted this answer to because i surely never asked anything about it. whole thing started with one simple comment where i said languages are different on syntax level where i see c# far more pleasing in the way how made their syntax and naming conventions

please do find one reference where i would be asking for any of named things, because i couldn't care less. the chance i would ever consider wasting 5 min on Scala after 1st impression is non existent for me, so why in the world would i want to know

Comment

Paul Phillips rant is insightful and entertaining. He's holding Scala to a much higher bar than Java/C#.

Sure, Scala isn't perfect. Many argue that Haskell, Agda, or Idris make less sacrifices and compromises than Scala, however, they are varying levels of experimental. That crowd has formed a consensus that Scala is definitely a better, cleaned up version of Java/C#.

He was just complaining about how Java Comparable defines the result type as "int" with 4 billion states and how Scala just inherited that. C# does the exact same thing.
          That's not all he was complaining about.

...Hence... Scala is as broken.

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
            Earlier, you said there is no decent competition to .NET/C#:
            huh? i said they all suck equally. find one reference where i said that and not refer to my personal preference
            Here is your quote:

Sure, that's better than nothing. But competitors have been running on Linux and supporting Linux perfectly, which is better.
            which competition? more or less fare equally bad
            And you said Java isn't even close to as good as C#:
            huh? when? i think i was pretty damn clear that "I DON'T LIKE JAVA" as my god damn preference, not the fscking world opinion.

please, stop imagining things
            Here is your direct quote. You said C#/Java are "not even close" and C# is nicer and never accentuate subjectivity or personal opinion:

https://code.google.com/p/dblinq2007/
            Regarding C# the language, wasn't C# created as bascially a fork of Microsoft's Java? Isn't C# almost the exact same language as Java, with all of the same major features and flaws?
            not even close. they are very much different. for example, java class has no real in code visible properties. you need to write get_/set_ methods and then remember that those are property methods. in c# you write as public int something { get; set; }. languages differ on lots of things where c# simply took nicer approach
            please do find one reference where i would be asking for any of named things, because i couldn't care less. the chance i would ever consider wasting 5 min on Scala after 1st impression is non existent for me, so why in the world would i want to know
            You aren't interested and that's fine. Luke_Wolf was actually the one who specifically about Scala features in this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by jayrulez View Post
              That's not all he was complaining about.

...Hence... Scala is as broken.
              He was a co founder of TypeSafe and a lead developer on Scala. He rails on a ton of things, like the Scala collections, the complexity of the Map.map function signature, the number of casts in the code, the unpredictability of type inference, the problems of using Scala collections from Java when Java interop was a premier feature of the language, etc...

He never said it was as broken as C#/Java.

Comment

Here is your quote:
                So the direct quote is "more or less fare equally bad" rather than "they all suck equally". I don't see a substantial difference there.

Here is your direct quote. You said C#/Java are "not even close"
                "not even close" to being "almost the exact same language", then went on to explain a fundamental difference.

Comment

He was a co founder of TypeSafe and a lead developer on Scala. He rails on a ton of things, like the Scala collections, the complexity of the Map.map function signature, the number of casts in the code, the unpredictability of type inference, the problems of using Scala collections from Java when Java interop was a premier feature of the language, etc...

He never said it was as broken as C#/Java.
                  I did not say that he said that. I said that.

Comment

Here is your quote:

Here is your direct quote. You said C#/Java are "not even close" and C# is nicer and never accentuate subjectivity or personal opinion:
                    which part of this says i'd be saying one is better than another? @.@'

which competition? more or less fare equally bad
                    if you check again, "not even close" went against

Regarding C# the language, wasn't C# created as bascially a fork of Microsoft's Java? Isn't C# almost the exact same language as Java, with all of the same major features and flaws?
                    they are far from the same language. they do have some similar traits, but they differ in way too many syntax implementations to be proclaimed "exact same". i have absolutely no clue where do you get it from. i know i'm not native english speaker... but... ahh, well... whatever

You aren't interested and that's fine. Luke_Wolf was actually the one who specifically about Scala features in this thread.
                    then answer to the right person and stop accusing me from being dick
                    Last edited by justmy2cents; 07 April 2014, 06:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
                      So the direct quote is "more or less fare equally bad" rather than "they all suck equally". I don't see a substantial difference there.

"not even close" to being "almost the exact same language", then went on to explain a fundamental difference.
                      sorry on repeating what you said in my previous comment. seeing that answer kinda ticked me off and i didn't notice you ninja'd it.

Comment

Working...
                      X