Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So, Microsoft just open sourced most of .NET...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay, I've seen Qyoto mentioned a few times now and perhaps because it didn't make phoronix news they're missing that Qyoto is dead and QtSharp is it's successor. Back when Xamarin first announced the release of Cppsharp I asked a question: "Would this benefit Qyoto?", well as it turned out ddobrev the main developer of Qyoto decided shortly afterwards to abandon Qyoto and create QtSharp based upon CppSharp and has been working on improving CppSharp and QtSharp since then.

Mono/.NET bindings for Qt. Contribute to ddobrev/QtSharp development by creating an account on GitHub.

Tools to surface C++ APIs to C#. Contribute to ddobrev/CppSharp development by creating an account on GitHub.
    Last edited by Luke_Wolf; 06 April 2014, 03:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
      How is planned obscolescence not sinister?
      Because the world changes and it's not that scary?
      Software projects, platforms, frameworks and even mindsets get deprecated or are made obsolete all the time. It's been like that since there's been software, and it's completely healthy.
      Planning it actually just makes it better.

Comment

Originally posted by DanLamb View Post
        You are echoing a C# debate point and are just oblivious to the counter point:

Java and C# are both broken in that regard. You already understand why Java is broken: code must maintain these verbose get/set methods.

C# has these redundant overlapping concepts of both variables and properties, which is a mess. The syntax for say, creating a read only variable vs a read only property is totally different: for variables you use the readonly keyword and that keyword will error if you try to use it with properties. Scala actually solves this issue elegantly. There is no separate notion of variable vs property. All class variables/values are properties. They can all be overridden in a subclass or changed to methods without breaking binary compatibility. In Scala, whether you have a singleton var/val, a local var/val, or a class instance var/val, they use the same syntax, and they all support type inference. C# only supports type inference for local variables, but not for class variables, static/singleton variables, or properties. Scala is simpler and more elegant in every way, and the C# fanatics are obvlivious to this and keep their heads buried in the sand.

Your C# example of "public int something { get; set; }" is less nice than the Scala parallel of "var something = 0"
        Actually variables and properties are not redundant and only overlap in the sense that a property contains a variable and by doing so can hold a value. A property is a trait of an object whereas a variable is an object.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
          Okay, I've seen Qyoto mentioned a few times now and perhaps because it didn't make phoronix news they're missing that Qyoto is dead and QtSharp is it's successor. Back when Xamarin first announced the release of Cppsharp I asked a question: "Would this benefit Qyoto?", well as it turned out ddobrev the main developer of Qyoto decided shortly afterwards to abandon Qyoto and create QtSharp based upon CppSharp and has been working on improving CppSharp and QtSharp since then.

Mono/.NET bindings for Qt. Contribute to ddobrev/QtSharp development by creating an account on GitHub.

https://github.com/ddobrev/CppSharp
          that would be my bad. probably because of this http://sourceforge.net/projects/qtcsharp/files/qtsharp/ . project with same name which was abandoned for qyoto. hmmm, need to look at it then and thanks on correction

Comment

Actually variables and properties are not redundant and only overlap in the sense that a property contains a variable and by doing so can hold a value. A property is a trait of an object whereas a variable is an object.
            To Expand upon this let's examine a very easy example: memberwise equality.

Code:
            public static bool override operator==(obj A, obj B)
            {
                if(A.prop1 == b.prop1 &&
                   A.prop2 == b.prop2 &&
                  ...)
                {
                   return true;
                }
                return false;

}
            In the above code objects A and B are not properties of anything, and they don't magically become properties of each other by being compared. Instead they are two completely separate entities that may or may not hold the same values and thus as a result are variables.

on the other hand these objects contain traits: prop1, prop2, etc that contain objects that are being compared for equality.

Further there are functional requirement differences as well, with a property you want to regulate things like access and acceptable values whereas a variable does not have any such requirements placed upon it.

Now you can argue that you should only be able to declare properties in class definitions and variables in function definitions and parameter lists and as long as the language does appropriate code generation behind the scenes I'd agree with that.

Comment

https://github.com/ddobrev/CppSharp
              ok, that's funny

If you're looking for information on developing Qt/KDE applications using C# or any other .NET language, see the Qyoto page instead.

UPDATE: Qyoto has been obsoleted. There's a replacement project in development at [1].
              which leads to git repository without any information about state of usability. although, looking at odt document there it seems that it is not ready. seems qyoto is still valid option for now

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
                that would be my bad. probably because of this http://sourceforge.net/projects/qtcsharp/files/qtsharp/ . project with same name which was abandoned for qyoto. hmmm, need to look at it then and thanks on correction
                You're welcome, to be honest I'm rather hyped about the idea of being able to use QML and QtQuickControls with C#, (on top of the rest of the Qt goodies) because it will finally make writing desktop applications targeting linux using C# a reasonable idea for me as opposed to using C++ for everything. I mean yeah there's GTK# but I'm a KDE user and GTK's themeing has a bad habit of breaking in various ways if I use oxygen-gtk.

Comment

You're welcome, to be honest I'm rather hyped about the idea of being able to use QML and QtQuickControls with C#, (on top of the rest of the Qt goodies) because it will finally make writing desktop applications targeting linux using C# a reasonable idea for me as opposed to using C++ for everything. I mean yeah there's GTK# but I'm a KDE user and GTK's themeing has a bad habit of breaking in various ways if I use oxygen-gtk.
                  i'm more or less pissed how gtk is becoming less and less cross platform, since i'm using my own framework and tools (in plans to open source, but only when they are prime for production and port from gtk to qt is a part of it). btw, if you can provide more information please do PM me. i would really appreciate all information which is not to be found anywhere on my searching before i get too deep in possibly wrong way because i missed that obsolete tag. still, in any case thanks on correction

Comment

seems qyoto is still valid option for now
                    Kinda, the Qyoto developer documentation is not really up to date with the current state of Qyoto's codebase (I toyed with using Qyoto for things for a while but eventually just gave up on it) and you're stuck with QWidgets and a subset of Qt, you can work with it but the bindings there have always been in kind of a crappy state. QtSharp is still heavy in the development state as opposed to being in a release state but once it gets there things will be in a much better place.

Comment

i'm more or less pissed how gtk is becoming less and less cross platform, since i'm using my own framework and tools (in plans to open source, but only when they are prime for production and port from gtk to qt is a part of it). btw, if you can provide more information please do PM me. i would really appreciate all information which is not to be found anywhere on my searching before i get too deep in possibly wrong way because i missed that obsolete tag. still, in any case thanks on correction
                      Most of my information comes from http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-bindings&r=1&w=2 along with what I observe going on in ddobrev's github,

you can see from http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-bindings...6538814267&w=2 for instance that he has intent to finish things up and release sometime in the near future although checking with ddobrev personally will get you better information than I can gather because you're getting them from the source as opposed to someone who has just played with the bindings and watched mailing lists and repos

Comment

Working...
                      X