X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• litfan
    replied
    Originally posted by bison
    You know there are probably kids reading this forum, and their parents probably don't want to them to grow up talking like that. Give it a rest.
    Really? You're playing the kids card? Are you the worlds biggest baby or what?

Leave a comment:

• kneekoo
    replied
    Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
    As for his comments recorded here, the one about Ubuntu being the best developer platform is pure nonsense. In many ways it is the worst platform to target when there are so many other generic Linux distros to use.
    What Michael wrote in the news is correct but without the context it got misinterpreted - as if Ubuntu is a target platform. Mark was talking about the environment itself. Here it is, word for word:
    Originally posted by Mark Shuttleworth
    We're still by far the best developer environment. I meet tons (or tens?) of people that have a MacBook with Mac OS but they develop on Ubuntu in a virtual machine. So that tells me that actually the commitment to the team to doing great work as free software for the free software community is super strong.

Leave a comment:

• profoundWHALE
    replied
    Originally posted by NothingMuchHereToSay View Post
    inb4 Mark hate
    Whenever I see a post like this I always think it's tragic. I mean they try to post counter arguments to arguments that haven't been made, and then finishes it off with an attempt at insulting everyone else. In the end he creates a bad name for Ubuntu users and a lot of people hating Mark, probably even more than before if they had before.

Leave a comment:

• russofris
    replied
    Michael,

I know that Mark gets a lot more clicks than other boring linux stories, but is it possible to give this imbecile a little less press while giving the Debian guys a little more? There's plenty of nerd drama to be had in their camp, it's just that you need to be creative when creating/portraying the characters since they're not rich.

We're reaching the point where Ubuntu's largest contribution to the linux community is that they're the foundation upon which Mint is built. Once Mint fully converts to Debian, we can all sit back and talk about what could-have-been had Mark not been such a shitlord.

Leave a comment:

• dh04000
    replied
    Originally posted by blackout23
    No Ubuntu simply should ship the latest version fo all their releases. Problem solved. It just dosen't make any logical sense that it should install 0.17 for one version of Ubuntu 0.19 for another and 0.20 on the latest version. It's just a fucking game give me the latest version when I install it.
    That's one of the advantages of click packages.

Leave a comment:

• litfan
    replied
    Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
    I never could understand the cult of Ubuntu! It is the Linux distro I try to stay away from if at all possible, I'm better off with Mac OS if proprietary software isn't a problem.

As for his comments recorded here, the one about Ubuntu being the best developer platform is pure nonsense. In many ways it is the worst platform to target when there are so many other generic Linux distros to use. Distros that are generic enough to allow your code to easily build on a wide array of other platforms. The more Ubuntu goes off on tangents the less desirable it becomes to the developer community.
    100% agree with this. I can't think of another distro less in line with mainstream Linux than Ubuntu. I just can't comprehend why they continue down the path they do when they've seen such enormous backlash for it. They were top dog now everyone is looking for alternatives.

Leave a comment:

• wizard69
    replied
    Ubuntu is a sad mess!

I never could understand the cult of Ubuntu! It is the Linux distro I try to stay away from if at all possible, I'm better off with Mac OS if proprietary software isn't a problem.

As for his comments recorded here, the one about Ubuntu being the best developer platform is pure nonsense. In many ways it is the worst platform to target when there are so many other generic Linux distros to use. Distros that are generic enough to allow your code to easily build on a wide array of other platforms. The more Ubuntu goes off on tangents the less desirable it becomes to the developer community.

Leave a comment:

• litfan
    replied
    Originally posted by curaga View Post
    Surely you're not advocating devs having to package for every distro?

A game changing its online protocol is quite common.
    No, changing the online protocol is not common, nor is it smart. Especially if its peer to peer and not controlled by a game server in between

Leave a comment:

• curaga
    replied
    Originally posted by litfan View Post
    That's a problem with Hedgewars, not Ubuntu.
    Surely you're not advocating devs having to package for every distro?

A game changing its online protocol is quite common.

Leave a comment:

• litfan
    replied
    Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
    Moving to a rolling release modell for the non-LTS releases would be the best thing to ever happen to Ubuntu. The non-LTS releases are simply idiotic there is no other way to say it. I visited a friend the other day who runs Ubuntu on two of his laptops. We wanted to play something so I suggested installig Hedgewars the open-source Worms clone. So we both installed it but couldn't find each others game. We then figured out that we are on two different versions, because of the silly 6 month release cycle. So we had to fiddle around with launchpad to find the backport package for that specific version of Ubuntu and fiddle around with dpkg. It boggles my mind how people can call something like that a user friendly Linux distro.
    That's a problem with Hedgewars, not Ubuntu.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X