Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by a user View Post
    snip
    You said it yourself. You are no hater. When I referred to other haters, I actually meant people like me, who didn't work with the language, yet dislike it. You have reasons, they make things up. I don't lose my time making things up for an irrational feeling against the language, but I still consider myself a hater because I wouldn't really give it a chance, I dislike it and that's it.

Originally posted by curaga View Post
    GCC has supported pure functions since version 2.96. But I really would like to have a really-const keyword, yeah.
    const attribute. Or you mean something that actually checks you are right about it?

Comment

Originally posted by brosis View Post
      Icaza is to Linux, like Elop to Nokia.
      Interesting comparison. I have to wonder if either of those guys would agree.
      You can't take him seriously,
      You can't take him seriously because he blames a tool for his poor performance. At least this is what I take from this thread.
      after he admitted not using Linux for more than several years, whilst being head of GNOME, then abandoning Linux development altogether and doing pure proprietary on Mac;
      He probably had bills to pay! Apples hardware is a good place to be if you need an income, no shame in that.
      and also calling Stallman zealot completely ignoring four freedoms of GPL.
      Actually that is being rather kind. I would have to say far worst.
      Cxx is perfectly fine, pefectly portable and perfectly patent clear. iCaza should be banned from Linux for good.
      The discussion is about C++, I don't see why we need to distract things with comments about his relationship with Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by quasipedia View Post
        ...or: even a large amount of anecdotal evidence does not add up to data. Even if you are a programmer, your opinion does not amount to truth, nor can be inherently considered better than that of a non-programmer.
        For a minute I thought this was a global warming discussion. After all anecdotal evidence seems to be a powerful factor in the warming forecasts. Beyond that you have the same over the top claims here with respect to facts, at best we are talking theories here which don't have the weight of facts.
        Any comparison between C and C++ must be grounded in some kind of metrics: performance? development time? ease of maintenance? Above all, if the comparison has to be performed "out there" and not based on a list of feature sets, the comparison must follow a scientific, reproducible methodology.
        Why even compare them?
        For example, you can check out the Bhattacharya/Neamtiu study (avalable here). Their conclusion:

Is C++ better then? Probably not, but in large projects the resulting code is less complex, less buggy and easier to maintain, unless - of course - you are able to provide a scientific study refuting the methodology/conclusions of the one linked above.
        That would not matter to a zealot and it certainly wouldn't matter to somebody blaming a tool for his failed efforts.
        On another note...
        <troll_mode>
        I am of the opinion that having written Moonlight is something to regret per se, regardless of the language used! :P
        </troll_mode>
        Exactly. Blaming C++ just deflects responsibility.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
          Apples hardware is a good place to be if you need an income, no shame in that.
          ?? Apple's hardware is pretty much the same as, you know, any other hardware made by Intel.

Comment

Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
            ?? Apple's hardware is pretty much the same as, you know, any other hardware made by Intel.
            you know design cases are also kinda hardware :P

Comment

Originally posted by a user View Post
              you know design cases are also kinda hardware :P
              Maybe, but I wouldn't put my hopes for an income on them.

Comment

Maybe, but I wouldn't put my hopes for an income on them.
                me neither but there're quite some people making good money with design and cases.
                anyhow, i was just kidding... obviously... i hope

Comment

With the minor distinction that you can't (easily) run OS X on generic Intel hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by bnolsen View Post
                    exceptions? a big gun to shoot yourself with and a way to make your code hard to trace due to call stack blowing. Too many folks treat normal bad data as exceptional. Our nicest compromise has been to have isValid() checks on important state stuff, allowing computations to go on even with bad data to be checked when convenient.
                    A real ninja doesn't litter he's code with exception handling, he writes exception safe code

Comment

const attribute. Or you mean something that actually checks you are right about it?
                      "immutable" is more const then "const". D also has a "const" keyword that is less const than "immutable" (but it's different from the C++ "const"): http://dlang.org/const3.html

Comment

Working...
                      X