• Time
  • Show
Clear All

miguel "i started c++ project, but forgot to hire c++ programmers" de icaza
    miguel "scared by templates" de icaza
    miguel "pathetic uneducated whiner" de icaza

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
      Hey, but at least you can consume a shared object built with gcc in your clang or icc project. Try doing that with C++ for a laugh.
      1. you still can.
      2, it is bullshit argument. some other languages do not even have choice of compilers
      And RAII is a poor man's implementation of reflection.
      raii has nothing to do with reflection. go back to school
      So bad, actually, that Qt had to implement a meta-language complete with parser, just to get some semblance of logical GUI code.
      qt's use of moc is 1) unwarranted - it's some remnant from twenty years ago(when there were no c++98 and some student programmers created what they were capable of) and 2) has nothing to do with raii. stop making fool of yourself

Comment

As someone who uses C++ for a living, all I can say to this is *bollocks*.
        as someone who does not undestand what raii is, you make perfect example, why so many people hate c++: because some clueless children call themselves c++ programmers.
        The STL implementations are not ABI-compatible, so your code will crash as soon as you try anything more complicated than "hello world".
        stl implementations are not abi compatible because they contain different code, different class layout, etc. because they are two different libraries. it has nothing to do with c++ abi, every two random libraries in every language will be abi incompatible.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
          Guys, stop fighting over nothing...
          Apart from gaming, what else is c++ useful for?
          well, this one is easy. look at which language is used to implement every major c compiler and laugh

Comment

Originally posted by wargames View Post
            Exactly. I used to be a "Java hater" because I thought it was slow, bloated,...
            you didn't run eclipse lately, if you don't think that anymore

Comment

Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
              While I do agree in most cases, I think for fixed size arrays, a C array is better.
              wrong. for fixed size arrays use std::array

Comment

My point is still valid: RTTI is a piss-poor substitute for proper reflection.
                no, it is not valid. always-on rtti has no runttime overhead, while 'proper reflection' does. adding overhead for not used features is against c++'s goals.
                rtti isn't substitute for builtin reflection. in c++ you have to make your own reflection if you need(almost noone needs). you can use rtti in your implementation. there is research ongoing for adding optional reflection to c++

Comment

Originally posted by bnolsen View Post
                  std::string over cstring, generally agree although I think std::string's api is lame and archaic, not matching the other std:: collection apis and is a total mismatch with utf8.

exceptions? a big gun to shoot yourself with and a way to make your code hard to trace due to call stack blowing. Too many folks treat normal bad data as exceptional. Our nicest compromise has been to have isValid() checks on important state stuff, allowing computations to go on even with bad data to be checked when convenient.
                  pure classes are almost always overkill, over encapsulation requiring too much boilerplate accessors. We find that allowing direct access to some data members, then checking current state with isValid() to be reasonable, reducing a bunch of boilerplate.
                  utf8 fits nicely in std::string, just keep in mind that elements are just bytes, not codepoints
                  two your uses for isValid with pathetic excuses make me cry

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                    utf8 fits nicely in std::string, just keep in mind that elements are just bytes, not codepoints
                    Spoken like someone who has never used C++ professionally.

If you do what you suggest, you can no longer search, split, concatenate or use iostreams, ergo std::string + UTF8 is absolutely useless. Which is why you have QString, boost::string, vtkUnicodeString and a hundred other incompatible re-implementations.
                    Last edited by BlackStar; 06 January 2014, 03:05 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
                      Spoken like someone who has never used C++ professionally.

If you do what you suggest, you can no longer search, split, concatenate or use iostreams, ergo std::string + UTF8 is absolutely useless. Which is why you have QString, boost::string, vtkUnicodeString and a hundred other incompatible re-implementations.
                      kid, you already showed that you have no clue, no need to continue. search, concatenate and iostreams work just fine. even splitting works when you know where to split(for example after search).
                      advanced tools are needed when you want to change case or do some other character-level work. but for displaying, opening file, writing to file std::string will work flawlessly. and most programs need just that
                      Last edited by pal666; 06 January 2014, 03:36 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X