Linux and Mac are screwed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by energyman View Post
    if there was a fs problem: shouldn't the logs full with errors?
    They weren't.

if there was a permission problem, why was it possible to delete the other files?
    if there was a ownership problem? why did macosx fail quietly?
    Got logs? I would love to see them. Also which logs were you looking at?

LMFAO. Can you possibly bring any more older of rants?

Mac OSX HAS NO file search function."

Oh really? The dumb fuck can't even find search
    functions (Hello!! Spotlight!) Right there his entire credibility went down the tube.

Comment

• Originally posted by deanjo View Post
      Got logs? I would love to see them. Also which logs were you looking at?

LMFAO. Can you possibly bring any more older of rants?
      no shit eh? what a dummy - he won't show you logs, cause he doesn't own a mac (i'd almost bet money on it!)

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
      Oh really? The dumb fuck can't even find search functions (Hello!! Spotlight!) Right there his entire credibility went down the tube.
      yup, and even if vexxar was referring to OS9 - hello! Sherlock! (spotlight was introduced in OSX. if i remember correctly)

energyman and vexxar are both idiots. lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by ninez View Post
        yup, and even if vexxar was referring to OS9 - hello! Sherlock! (spotlight was introduced in OSX. if i remember correctly)
        Doubtful he was referring to OS 9 in 2007. But ya there was Sherlock as well. In fact Apple has had file search functions going all the way back to Apple ProDOS when you had to swap floppies to continue searching on other disks if the file wasn't found.

Comment

• Originally posted by deanjo View Post
          Doubtful he was referring to OS 9 in 2007. But ya there was Sherlock as well. In fact Apple has had file search functions going all the way back to Apple ProDOS when you had to swap floppies to continue searching on other disks if the file wasn't found.
          true enough. i do remember vexxar talking about OS9 in his video's at one point though, maybe i misheard him. either way, the fact still remains, both these guys are dumb...

cheerz

Comment

• Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
            If you are talking about XP, sure, but in Vista and 7 when an application crashes, it doesn't take the entire machine with it and little if any data is lost (depending on the application you were using), unlike Linux where X is often taken down from half-baked cowboy code and you lose whatever you were working on.

That's progress!
            This is straight BS. I never encountered an application that would take down Xorg. The only case where my system froze was when running RC kernel - a driver bug. Even if my mouse got eaten - it was regainable with ctrl-f10 and any xorg app was killable with F2-xkill-blam.

But I had numerous cases in XP when application behavour led to BSOD and several times when application modified the registry wrong and windows became highly unstable. They removed registry in vista or 7ista? Or how they managed to prevent it - you got source code to prove?

Comment

• Oh so much fun Can someone pass me the pocorn? I couldn't resist from checking back in I mean where would this thread go without trolls?

Linux can crash with buggy drivers (firegl), Vista can crash with buggy drivers(BSOD'd a lot becuase kernel graphics driver architecture changed) and Mac OS X can lock up too because of apps (that funny colored turning wheel).

What else? Oh yeah Linux, Windows and Mac OS X can't search files. Nope they can't; they all index like maniacs and search the catalog. Spotlight doesn't search through your hdd, simply because it doesn't have this revolutionary FS that everyone was waiting for when Microsoft presented Cairo and again for Vista (still not there in any FS on any OS).

Oh the joy... The registry is just a large config file dump. If a horrible app on Linux and Mac decides to screw up the X.org config or the Aqua config thing it also fails. Noooooo shit.

Go on finding BS. This is enjoying.

Comment

• Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
                If a horrible app on Linux.. decides to screw up the X.org config or the Aqua config thing it also fails. Noooooo shit.
                Its gonna need root for that. And be closed source or buggy(ie highly uncommon app).

Comment

Oh so much fun Can someone pass me the pocorn? I couldn't resist from checking back in I mean where would this thread go without trolls?
                  well, at least you are honest about being nothing more than a troll ~ i gotta give you credit for that. you are quite transparent about your intentions here in the Phoronix Forums.

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
                  Linux can crash with buggy drivers (firegl), Vista can crash with buggy drivers(BSOD'd a lot becuase kernel graphics driver architecture changed) and Mac OS X can lock up too because of apps (that funny colored turning wheel).
                  ...wow, you're pretty good at stating the obvious (which has already been discussed, in this trhead). you're so smart ViNCENT - please teach us more of your valuable insights into operating systems and technology. maybe you should start some certification program, where you can teach people everything you know...lol.

What else? Oh yeah Linux, Windows and Mac OS X can't search files. Nope they can't; they all index like maniacs and search the catalog. Spotlight doesn't search through your hdd, simply because it doesn't have this revolutionary FS that everyone was waiting for when Microsoft presented Cairo and again for Vista (still not there in any FS on any OS).
                  who would have thunk it, file-systems storing meta-data?! ...cataloging and indexing?!?! lol. you just taught us all so much that wasn't already extremely obvious ~ can we be friends? LOL..

Oh the joy... The registry is just a large config file dump. If a horrible app on Linux and Mac decides to screw up the X.org config or the Aqua config thing it also fails. Noooooo shit.
                  the windows registry is not a 'large config file dump'.

Describes the Windows registry and provides information about how to edit it.

if i only had one word that i could use to describe it, i would use 'Database', but 'database' doesn't equal 'a large config file dump'. ~ and if that is how you would describe a specialized database that uses a binary format, than that's pretty funny...you are a layman, and shouldn't bother even commetning on things you know very little about, and not even bother trolling, either.

..and rather than saying 'Aqua config thing'(which, isn't a very good comparison to xorg or the windows registry, and shows you don't really know what you are talking about).. you might have been better off discussing various files with the .plist extension. maybe some of the ones that start with com.apple.***

have a nice day :\
                  Last edited by ninez; 15 July 2011, 03:34 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
                    Its gonna need root for that.
                    Yes on Windows too Regedit asks for permission since the registry is admin (read= root) protected

And be closed source or buggy(ie highly uncommon app).
                    Closed sourced buggy virus scanners? Or FireGL on Linux? Realy uncommon right?

Originally posted by ninez View Post
                    well, at least you are honest about being nothing more than a troll ~ i gotta give you credit for that. you are quite transparent about your intentions here in the Phoronix Forums.
                    Yes at least on of us is honest

...wow, you're pretty good at stating the obvious (which has already been discussed, in this trhead).
                    I'm glad you noticed that I was summing up how stupid this thread has become
                    So you noticed that I noticed, cool right? Maybe the next big thing would be you noticing that I noticed how you noticed that I noticed

who would have thunk it, file-systems storing meta-data?! ...cataloging and indexing?!?!
                    Yeah whatever happened to:
                    "an object or database file system that would replace the flat file system with a fully searchable object store" -Microsoft (1991)

can we be friends? LOL..
                    Neah... I don't play well with fools

the windows registry is not a 'large config file dump'.
                    It is not? Where do they store the configurations then?

..and rather than saying 'Aqua config thing'(which, isn't a very good comparison to xorg or the windows registry, and shows you don't really know what you are talking about).. you might have been better off discussing various files with the .plist extension. maybe some of the ones that start with com.apple.***
                    Oh shit... That extention changes EVERYTHING! OH MY GAWD!

Comment

It is not? Where do they store the configurations then?
                      Oh shit... That extention changes EVERYTHING! OH MY GAWD!
                      Hey when it comes down to system config files and prefs I will take OS X any day. The windows registry is a huge mess. There is no easy way to isolate a user specific or system wide registry error not to mention that you can hunt forever just to find all the damn entries that are entered in it just for one piece of software.

Then there is one of my biggest pet peeves about linux. In linux it's almost as bad. Hidden folders and config files everywhere. Just look at all this bloody mess in a home folder.

No real rhyme nor reason as to where stuff is, let's just dump it all in the home directory like a windows boob dumping everything into c:\.

At least in OS X it is easy to tell who the vender is and because they follow an actual file system hierarchy they can easily isolate user or system wide issues by simply looking for items like com.apple.mail.plist in the ~/Library/Preferences folder if it is a user specific issue or in the /Library/Preferences if it is a system wide issue. Rename the file com.apple.mail.plist.old and bang you are starting fresh on that app without worrying if something else went and dumped it's prefs in that plist file.

Comment

Working...
                      X