Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can I build a stock 2.6.38.x kernel that can run GNOME3 shell in Fedora 15?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I build a stock 2.6.38.x kernel that can run GNOME3 shell in Fedora 15?

Hi,

I am trying to build a "stock" 2.6.38.7 kernel for Fedora 15, but Fedora 15 is refusing to run the GNOME 3 shell with it. My kernel is definitely capable of running GNOME 3 - the problem seems to be that gnome-session-check-accelerated is setting a flag to "false" early on, and this is subsequently blocking Fedora from selecting gnome-shell. However, running "gnome-shell --replace" from the fallback session works fine.

Put another way, running gnome-session-check-accelerated-helper returns a status of 0 (success) with my "stock" kernel, but gnome-session-check-accelerated is still returning 1 (failure).

I've already added securityfs, debugfs and hugetlbfs to my kernel, as well as cgroup namespaces (none of which was necessary for Fedora 14), but to no avail.

Does anyone understand Fedora, GNOME 3 enough to suggest what I might be missing, please?

Thanks,
    Chris

Pretty interesting post. Could not seen any better. Thanks for sharing this post. I like it.

Comment

Yes, the fun I had with that one...!

Originally posted by William Brown View Post
      Pretty interesting post. Could not seen any better. Thanks for sharing this post. I like it.
      It turned out that tmpfs needs ACL support, because gdm is testing for working 3D before the user logs in. Oh well, it works now.

Comment

That makes sense I suppose. I am glad that you have figured it out, because it helps me out quite a bit. I have found this thread to be very helpful, thank you very much.

Comment

Working...
        X