VP8 vs. h.264

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VP8 vs. h.264

It seems that the writing is on the wall for flash. It may take many years, but ultimately it seems to be slowly bleeding while html5 is strengthening. One thing that isn't so clear is whether or not open source video/audio will be the winner. Most html5 news I've read seems to indicate that h264 is winning the codec war. Is there much hope for VP8? Also, I've been wanting to find a good, easy to understand quality and performance comparison between the latest h264 and VP8 encoder/decoders. Does anyone have any information on that?

Originally posted by Prescience500 View Post
    It seems that the writing is on the wall for flash. It may take many years, but ultimately it seems to be slowly bleeding while html5 is strengthening.
    I doubt it, with Flash now supporting GPU decoding. Most people want Flash because it works for them. That's Windows users mostly, but as we all know, those are who really matter.

Flash will be there for a long time to come.

Comment

I completely agree that flash will remain for a long time. I suspect that new stuff will begin to use html5 by default in a couple years. Stuff that's currently using flash may continue to do so for many years. It's been many years, yet there are still "lots" of divx video out there on the internet. I believe flash will hang on in much the same way.

Comment

Saying that h264 is winning is not even logical. The war hasn't even started since Firefox 4 isn't even released yet and because the promised version of Adobe flash with VP8 (webm) support isn't released yet either.
        Think about it.
        In a few years over 95% of all browsers will support webm (VP8) because they'll be running flash which will support it. Period. That says it all. Don't even need to mention about the (upcoming) native support Chrome, Firefox 4, Opera and on the youtube site, that VLC and other players support VP8/webm, that as soon as next year hw accelerated VP8 enabled players will be popping up.
        It's the same Google case as with Android and Chrome - after relatively slow the product starts outpacing the competition all over. Same here, waiting for webm enabled Flash, wait 6 months for users to move to it and the revolution is winning.

Comment

I like Phoronix, but the one thing that is definitely spoiling its forum and pissing off users is the 1 minute rule. Common Phoronix! you're doing sophisticated cloud-related stuff and you can't solve this little critical annoyance? (/end rant)

Comment

Very true, but I thought that flash will support VP8, but not vorbis or matraska/webm.

Comment

well its not much of a war is it !, not until BBB Finally patches the x264/FFmpeg Encoder to also produce xvp8 output

You Do Know that the fastest VP8 Decoder is in fact written by these same Developer's right !

and the fact that most Flash online content is nothing more than your basic x264 Encoded AVC inside a flv/mp4 container right!

Comment

if fact if you bother to actually read the latest http://git.ffmpeg.org/?p=ffmpeg;a=lo...342a22eb63f9d3 and the latest FFmpeg-devel logs you will see that BBB is also instructing <Jumpyshoes> the GSOC Code-in student (that learned with only a few days tuition see the last few weeks if the http://akuvian.org/src/x264/freenode-x264dev.log.bz2 logs) ,that write a lot of new 10bit SIMD for x264 and is also now porting these routines and other assembly to FFmpeg right now to use with Ffmpeg x264, and later xvp8 use.

Comment

and the fact that most Flash online content is nothing more than your basic x264 Encoded AVC inside a flv/mp4 container right!
                  no doubt, also Nintendo swar and stream will be available also there, I hope

Comment

well if you want .sseq or indeed any format not already in ffmpeg then make the patch , they always say "patches welcome" after all

as for streaming, right now your probably better waiting on or even helping with kieran's broadcastencoder https://github.com/kierank/broadcastencoder/wiki to be honest, if you really Need/Want an option you cant live without or cant find anywhere else in x264/ffmpeg, he's open to options you might like right now apparently if your quick.

Comment

Working...
                    X