No announcement yet.

config files on linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you know what? choose any app that drops its config straight into $HOME, fetch the sources, install it (deinstall the version installed by your distro), remove the config file, start the app.

BANG, config file is in $HOME.

Comment

Originally posted by energyman
      hm, konqueror does not show the . files by default. So maybe you shopuld stop using crap?
      Or maybe you should stop making assumptions. I activated the 'show . files' option on purpose in both KDE and Gnome because I worked for a good while on something that involved continuously opening/saving my stuff from/in a hidden configuration folder. Sure, I should deactivate it now. Only that I don't have any DE anymore, just the apps I need, and I wrongly thought you needed the Gnome and KDE configuration tools to change it again. But:

Originally posted by AntP
      In 99% of those dialogue boxes right clicking the file list gives an option to hide the dotfiles.
      That's handy! I sometimes have this thought that the gtk save dialog can't be that terribly bad, and that somebody, somewhere, knows some unexpected tricks that render it usable and keyboard navigable...As a matter of fact, looking up this stuff just now, I stumbled upon this Slashdot comments:

If you are referring to the standard GTK File-open-dialog, try to press CTRL+H, as that will show hidden files. You could also right-click and choose "Show hidden files" from the pop-up menu.
      Yeah, there was a moment of genius from the designers. "hahaah! we'll make viewing hidden files a HIDDEN feature!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by t.s. View Post
        Anybody can confirm this?
        file locations are embedded in the program's source code, thus the programmer's choice. Complain to them. Better yet, submit patches to the projects.
        With open source apps, the distributions should be able to change it, but that's a lot of work if you're bundling hundreds of apps (both for the initial changes and for maintaining the changes on newer versions). Thus nobody does it for only little benefit. The solution is to get patches upstream.

Where 'little benefit' means:
        Code:
         ~> ls -A1 ~ | grep '^\.' | wc -l
        and I still live and am in no way constricted by their presence in my daily tasks.

Comment

Edit: Yep, I get it, energyman. I think you're right.
          Then the question is not how to bring it to some distro then, but to linux apps programmer, all of them.
          sigh..
          Yep, that's why I said it'll probably need some form of standardized central configuration. The problem is that it didnt work out so good for MS, so I just dont think it is a good idea.

Comment

I never tried it, but Gobolinux has a diffrent approach in filesystem hierachy, not really what the opener wants to have but all in all it seems to be a little bid more sane to me
            Last edited by dosenpfand; 08 November 2009, 11:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
              Yep, that's why I said it'll probably need some form of standardized central configuration. The problem is that it didnt work out so good for MS, so I just dont think it is a good idea.
              Even with MS, you end up the registry, which ends up being a complete mess of different approaches within a hierarchical database. And this with a single policy. You still end up with app data also being stored within application directory and also in the per-users App Data directory.

The problem under Linux is you have *lots* of standards and policies to choose from. KDE has it's config area, gnome has it's, freedesktop has theirs. If you don't like it you build it yourself.

The interplay of distribution and developer is where the difficulty comes. Developers need to consider multiple distributions, distributions need to support multiple developers, developers need to choose their preferred mechanism balancing their requirements and their "preferred" distributions, etc.

The end result here is that almost everyone considers their most important 80% (of course only representing 20% of the market). The developers target the 20% of distributions and desktop environments that they believe their users use. The distros target where possible the 20% of applications, etc.

You just end up with a mess. The only saving grace is that you have system settings (for the most part) in /etc, user settings (for the most part) in $HOME. And that the majority of developers don't see config files as being a critical area of interest to them so they re-use libraries or interfaces where possible.

The irony is that the developers that want to hit the largest distributions and desktop environments end up creating their own solution since it guarantees simplicity for the user.

Regards,

Matthew

Comment

This desperately needs to be said:

is the way to go.
                I love it, and i typically set $XDG_CONFIG_HOME to ~/config (if it's just one folder with settings, why would it even need to be hidden?

Hoever, many developers will be very reluctant to implement this. Expect VERY aggresive replies if you make a humble suggestion to use this in a feature request. Some developers straight out hate the very idea of this spec.

Comment

Originally posted by energyman
                  BANG, config file is in $HOME.
                  You mean in $HOME/config, yes..

Originally posted by rohcQaH
                  Where 'little benefit' means:
                  Code:
                   ~> ls -A1 ~ | grep '^\.' | wc -l
                  and I still live and am in no way constricted by their presence in my daily tasks.
                  Well, yeah, for now. But still, It's better to group it on one folder, no? Rather than to scatter them on our $HOME dir..? Oh well..

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                  I think you're heading in other ways, duby229. What I want is just all config file that reside on $HOME moved on one special directory, say, '.config'. Our configs-in-$HOME has work, then configs-in-$HOME/.config has to work too, with that logic.

Originally posted by dosenpfand
                  I never tried it, but Gobolinux has a diffrent approach in filesystem hierachy, not really what the opener wants to have but all in all it seems to be a little bid more sane to me
                  Will try that when have time. thanks for the info .

@mtippett
                  Yep. short-term POV, or just-work. Hm.. Maybe following the majority.
                  ...Oh well, I dunno.

Originally posted by Micket
                  This desperately needs to be said:

is the way to go.
                  I love it, and i typically set $XDG_CONFIG_HOME to ~/config (if it's just one folder with settings, why would it even need to be hidden?
                  Well, unfortunately, it's just for freedesktop related apps. And I think it's better with .config than ~/config. .confignamedir usually hidden by file manager, or ls, then it 'chance-less' removed or edited accidentally.

Hoever, many developers will be very reluctant to implement this. Expect VERY aggresive replies if you make a humble suggestion to use this in a feature request. Some developers straight out hate the very idea of this spec.
                  Well, yes, for majority doesn't want to critized or getting input for what he/she done, especially if she do it for free, IMO
                  Last edited by t.s.; 10 November 2009, 11:09 AM.

Comment

You mean in $HOME/config, yes..

Well, yeah, for now. But still, It's better to group it on one folder, no? Rather than to scatter them on our $HOME dir..? Oh well..

I think you're heading in other ways, duby229. What I want is just all config file that reside on $HOME moved on one special directory, say, '.config'. Our configs-in-$HOME has work, then configs-in-$HOME/.config has to work too, with that logic.

Will try that when have time. thanks for the info .

@mtippett
                    Yep. short-term POV, or just-work. Hm.. Maybe following the majority.
                    ...Oh well, I dunno.

Well, unfortunately, it's just for freedesktop related apps. And I think it's better with .config than ~/config. .confignamedir usually hidden by file manager, or ls, then it 'chance-less' removed or edited accidentally.

Well, yes, for majority doesn't want to critized or getting input for what he/she done, especially if she do it for free, IMO
                    If you read the basedir spec that i linked you will see that it defaults to ~/.config if XDG_CONFIG_HOME is not set. The whole point of that is it's not hardcoded into the software. It also seperates junk (temp files, and less worthy data) from what would typically end up in ~/.somesoftware/

I'd bet that you already have a ~/.config which does contain some configs, and all those programs are most likely conforming to the basedir spec.
                    Some of the software i frequently use that conforms to the standard:
                    Awesome WM, XMMS2, GTK, QT, Anjuta, Brasero, Paraview, Thunar, Transmission, Comix, Texmaker

I dont know what you mean only for "freedesktop related apps", but it doesn't mean anything. Anyone can use it. Any software that is already using .config is most likely using it.

The basedir spec IS what you have been asking for. Suggestion that some software should use a fixed ~/.config has absolutely no advantage.

Comment

and like almost all freedesktop specs it was a gnome/gtk centric dickhead move.

So no spurprise everybody else is ignoring it.

Comment

Working...
                      X