Microsoft Ending Support For Windows Subsystem For Android

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by carguello2 View Post
    I think this makes sense. It was reported late last year that Amazon was preparing to move its Fire Tablets away from Android,

If this ends up being true Microsoft would have to build its Android Store and replace (I mean provide different APIs that applications can leverage) all current APIs used by Google that provide features like location, maps, search, etc, see microG Project.

Also, without a Store, the user would have to use third-party frontends to download and sideload APks, not the most friendly approach.

There are also the likes of BlueStacks and Google Play Games on PC, so not all hope is lost. Great project, sad to see it go away though.
    BS and HPE only have Android 11. WSA is the only source of Android 13 libhoudini acquisition, and since WSA is EOL, Android 14 libhoudini is no longer a possibility, which means that all emulators are locked to Android 13 and lower unless willing to drop Arm support.

Comment

Don't care. I don't even use WSL, because I have dignity!!!

Comment

Originally posted by juxuanu View Post
        Meanwhile Waydroid is splendid.
        unfortunately you can't just pop any stock GSI image into it and is stuck on android 11

Comment

Originally posted by ddriver View Post
          Don't care. I don't even use WSL, because I have dignity!!!
          dignity maybe. class no. why would you leave a comment like that. No one cares what you use.

Comment

The result of Windows 11 being less than successful...

Comment

Originally posted by Plær1 View Post

dignity maybe. class no. why would you leave a comment like that. No one cares what you use.
              Then why comment? It means you care.

Comment

Originally posted by Plær1 View Post

As opposed to the many people that deeply care about your hypocrisy, or your awesome sense of humor

Comment

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post
                  Now we know what happens when EEE fails.
                  Microsoft hasn’t used EEE in over a decade. They realized it’s far more profitable to simply be a service company than a product company.

Comment

Originally posted by peterdk View Post
                    Why don't they strike a deal with Google and add Google Play? Isn't that a win for Google as well?
                    Google would never do that. It would make a Windows Phone comeback as a viable competitor to Android possible.

Comment

Originally posted by peterdk View Post
                      Why don't they strike a deal with Google and add Google Play? Isn't that a win for Google as well?
                      Not really. Think of all the millions of schools that use Chromebooks + all the people that use Chromebooks in general, most 2021+ Chromebooks can run Android apps, that's the biggest selling point, if all of a sudden you gain access to the same ecosystem in a Windows device, what incentives people into Chromebooks? Also, remember that Google actively sells Pixel Tablets or Chromebooks themselves.

Comment

Working...
                      X