Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAID with two HDDs?

Hallo all!

I bought 2 16TB disks on black friday (2 was the max. allowed amount) and am now thinking about storing the data on those two disks the most safe way without losing too much of storage space.
    I don't want to use a RAID 1 because I would lose 16TB of storage, the information on those disks is not THAT valuable, but I would like to be safer than just storing the data on disk.

Is it feasibly to partition the disks in 4 parts (à 8TB) and use 24TB for storage and 8TB for parity information or something like that?

If you just want a checksum use ZFS.

Comment

Ok, so the checksum feature of ZFS (https://openzfs.github.io/openzfs-do...Checksums.html) ensures, that the data is intact. However it might not be possible to repair the data, correct?
      are automatically repaired if possible, by using the RAID protection in suitably configured pools
      This sounds like the reparation is only possible if I use ZFS with a (ZFS-)RAID configuration, right?

Comment

Originally posted by baka0815 View Post
        Hallo all!

I bought 2 16TB disks on black friday (2 was the max. allowed amount) and am now thinking about storing the data on those two disks the most safe way without losing too much of storage space.
        I don't want to use a RAID 1 because I would lose 16TB of storage, the information on those disks is not THAT valuable, but I would like to be safer than just storing the data on disk.

Is it feasibly to partition the disks in 4 parts (à 8TB) and use 24TB for storage and 8TB for parity information or something like that?
        Feasible, as in doable? Yes.

Worth doing, if you value your data? No.

You are creating a 4-part RAID5, which allows you to lose 1 part without losing data. What happens if 1 hard drive dies, though? You lose 2 parts of the array, which means you lose everything in the array.

With 2 disks, your only real option is a RAID1 mirror, if you want to guard against data loss when 1 drive dies.

Comment

Working...
        X