No announcement yet.

AOMedia Announces Royalty-Free IAMF Audio Container Specification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A lot of y'all need to read this page. It defines the standard.

The TLDR is that it covers audio codecs like AAC, FLAC, Ogg, Opus as well as effects like equalization, spatial audio, and more. While Matroska could be expanded to cover the audio-only needs this targets, it makes a lot more sense to standardize audio in its own place and then let Matroska and other Audio/Video containers adopt the new audio container.

This is a damned great thing that will solve a lot of problems when fully adopted.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
      While Matroska could be expanded to cover the audio-only needs this targets, it makes a lot more sense to standardize audio in its own place and then let Matroska and other Audio/Video containers adopt the new audio container.
      Doesn't Matroska already have an audio-only container ? ( .mka )
      Or am I misunderstanding your comment ?

Comment

The TLDR is that it covers audio codecs like AAC, FLAC, Ogg, Opus as well as effects like equalization, spatial audio, and more. While Matroska could be expanded to cover the audio-only needs this targets, it makes a lot more sense to standardize audio in its own place and then let Matroska and other Audio/Video containers adopt the new audio container.

This is a damned great thing that will solve a lot of problems when fully adopted.

refer to my previous post, but tldr is it could be contained inside of mkv, it's not an alternative container in the sense of mkv or mp4, the spec is a sequence of obu packets. the container wraps that into one stream, you can use the "IA sequence" (immersive audio sequence) inside of mkv most likely. matroska would need to be extended because iamf uses a seperate track in iso-bmff for data. this would likely want to be carried across to matroska

Comment

I guess that's a way to fight the Dolby patent troll company, who is creating useless new private standards every so years to steal billions incognito by adding a few dollars license fees for each TV sold.

Comment

The TLDR is that it covers audio codecs like AAC, FLAC, Ogg, Opus
            Ogg is a container, Vorbis is the codec you're thinking of I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by rmfx View Post
              I guess that's a way to fight the Dolby patent troll company, who is creating useless new private standards every so years to steal billions incognito by adding a few dollars license fees for each TV sold.
              this is the goal of AOM. to create standards for media that are open and royalty free

Comment

I was wondering if it's possible currently with .mkv or will be possible with this new audio container format to add or remove an audio track without recreating the movie file.​

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
                  I was wondering if it's possible currently with .mkv or will be possible with this new audio container format to add or remove an audio track without recreating the movie file.​
                  not currently I havent seen any enablement work for it. but it would need some additional work. but you should be able to mux it in and out eventually

Comment

Working...
                  X