Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rust WQ Abstractions, Rust Toolchain Upgrade & Android Kernel Builds For Linux 6.7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
    I don't know... If you have heard of a little language called C++, it has been doing pretty well taking the extending C approach. Objective-C(++) was also very successful (much of macOS is still keeping with it and I wouldn't be surprised when Swift disappears that ObjC might make a comeback. The Apple guys still aren't happy with their binding generator approach and semi-recently re-engineered it for C++).
    C++ has had extraordinary success but many believe it doesn't resolve well enough some fundamental issues from C. It is not just a coincidence that Stroustrup has been trying to address those issues, though he has been a little bit defensive about it in my personal opinion. C & C++ are not going anywhere. Rust seems to have a bright future right now but we'll have to wait and see.

The thing about Git, is that it is overkill for 99% of projects, that people basically misuse it.
    I agree with this sentence. But it is the current de facto standard. Until something newer/better/more popular appears we seem to be stuck with it.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
      The thing about Git, is that it is overkill for 99% of projects, that people basically misuse it. Git is proof that the industry can't be trusted to choose the right tool for the job and instead are governed entirely by brands and hypes. I just am so thankful that Git wasn't a i.e Microsoft creation that hit off like VSCode. It could have been.
      I used to use Bazaar before Git took off. It's not so much that git is fit for purpose, as that Subversion being centralized made it unfit for purpose by making it such a trade-off to get both local repo operations and "easily push changesets to a public hosting service".

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

Funny that people have been trying that for years with things like Cyclone, D, and one with some un-googleable name along the lines of "Safer C", but it's Rust that has been getting the runaway interest. Reminds me of how Subversion lost out to git because it was merely "CVS done right" rather than a radical enough rethink to justify the effort.
        There's no deying that C and C++ are a bit crusty these days. But I'll take crusty over rusty any day. I refuse to trust rust's "just trust me it's safe" approach which has documented memory leaks but no formal memory model.

Comment

Working...
        X