Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Btrfs Picks Up New Features For Linux 6.7

Phoronix: Btrfs Picks Up New Features For Linux 6.7

While we wait to see if Bcachefs will be merged for Linux 6.7, there are other exciting enhancements landing for existing Linux file-systems. With Btrfs in Linux 6.7 comes three new features plus some performance optimizations and other improvements...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

- raid-stripe-tree is a bad news for Phoronix: it will reduce anti-btrfs trolling posts by at least 37%

Comment

Originally posted by cynic View Post
      - raid-stripe-tree is a bad news for Phoronix: it will reduce anti-btrfs trolling posts by at least 37%
      Nah, it says:

The support for RAID56 is in development and will eventually fix the problems with the current implementation. This is a backward incompatible feature and has to be enabled at mkfs time.​
      So the thing that people like to complain about is still messed up and worth complaining about. I think it'll increase BTRFS trolling posts.

They'll be like, "The fix is an 'eventually, maybe' state and it requires a fresh format. I only own a single 12 year old HDD. I can't backup reformat that. It's too full to create a new partition, copy data, expand, and repeat until completion because I'm doing a RAID5 with all my primary partitions and a logical one. Buying and returning a hard drive is unethical so I can't do that either. Those Linux devs are always trying to screw me over."

Comment

Michael

typo

"which o na sample workload" should be "on a"

Comment

Can we expect per-subvolume encryption any time soon? No clue if that is being worked upon.

The only other thing I remember I hoped would be changed:

"when using BTRFS Single profile filesystem across 2 disks, when 1 disk fails you loose data on that disk but also files >1GB as they may have been partially stored on that disk."

Not sure if this is still true?
          I would love to use BTRFS Single as a way to simply create a union of disks (like you would do with MergerFS for example).

Comment

Wow, this is nice to hear from Valve and Igalia.

Comment

Could someone explain to me what is the point of A/B partitioning instead of using subvolumes?

Comment

Originally posted by zilexa View Post
                Can we expect per-subvolume encryption any time soon? No clue if that is being worked upon.

The only other thing I remember I hoped would be changed:

"when using BTRFS Single profile filesystem across 2 disks, when 1 disk fails you loose data on that disk but also files >1GB as they may have been partially stored on that disk."

Not sure if this is still true?
                I would love to use BTRFS Single as a way to simply create a union of disks (like you would do with MergerFS for example).
                AFAIK FSCRYPT support is being worked on, but it's in the experimental stage and no ETA has been announced as yet.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
                  Could someone explain to me what is the point of A/B partitioning instead of using subvolumes?
                  If your question is about having two partitions for updates then I would argue that having two independent filesystems instead of one large with two subvolumes are safer.

With partions on top of (regular) raid or btrfs "raid" implementation the entire thing is a bit more foggy and as usual depending on what you are trying to achieve........

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
                    If your system destroys one FS, it won’t destroy the other too…

Comment

Working...
                    X