No announcement yet.

Bcachefs Looks Like It Won't Make It For Linux 6.6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The pr isn't signed - which is explained in the docs, and on top of all, it doesn't build? It may be the best fs ever and all, but this is part of the basics...

Comment

Linux process could be better indeed. I landed a single line change a while ago, it required a lot of setup, tweaking Thunderbird (and failing to format message properly anyway because of long-standing Thuderbird issues) and in the end it was a very frustrating and long process with a lot of correspondence back and forth.

Compare that to a simple pull request process through platforms like GitHub, GitLab and similar.

Comment

Originally posted by Doomer View Post
        well, he can hate the way linux is developed all he want but that won't give him a special pass to bypass the current set of rules, if you ever tried to push something upstream you would know about the entire pipeline to stable so I'm not sure why he though that skipping steps was ok...

linus said he was sorry for not realizing it sooner, I guess no one was/is really paying enough attention to it, I'm not sure if I can use it to gauge its popularity as to be honest I don't see why I would use it over the current filesystems that have more or less the same feature set
        It's not fair when these rules are not codified, or are seemingly created on the whim, and finding them means crawling and analysing the most inaccessible format (a mailing list).

imo the whole mailing list thing severely raises the bar on how accessible Linux is to new developers who wish to contribute. In a few decades when current maintainers and developers have retired or passed, I predict they'll be a significant shortage of people that can do development of the kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
          imo the whole mailing list thing severely raises the bar on how accessible Linux is to new developers who wish to contribute. In a few decades when current maintainers and developers have retired or passed, I predict they'll be a significant shortage of people that can do development of the kernel.
          1) If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
          2) The mailing list has been used to co-ordinate linux development from well before git existed. Experience from other fields tells us that replacing a baroque old system with a shiny new system rarely goes well.
          3) Experience also shows that once the current leadership (Linus and maintainers) retires, thoughts of change will become palatable, especially if the next set of leaders have grown up using a different system.

Comment

Originally posted by nazar-pc View Post
            Linux process could be better indeed. I landed a single line change a while ago, it required a lot of setup, tweaking Thunderbird (and failing to format message properly anyway because of long-standing Thuderbird issues) and in the end it was a very frustrating and long process with a lot of correspondence back and forth.

Compare that to a simple pull request process through platforms like GitHub, GitLab and similar.
            Similar experience here, I remember my email was getting rejected and I was not able to fix it. I thought it was ridiculus and just stopped there.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Grouch View Post

1) If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
              2) The mailing list has been used to co-ordinate linux development from well before git existed. Experience from other fields tells us that replacing a baroque old system with a shiny new system rarely goes well.
              3) Experience also shows that once the current leadership (Linus and maintainers) retires, thoughts of change will become palatable, especially if the next set of leaders have grown up using a different system.
              1) it's often broken
              2) it worked back then only because the kernel was 100 times smaller with 100 times fewer people submitting patches and working on it

Comment

It's not fair when these rules are not codified, or are seemingly created on the whim, and finding them means crawling and analysing the most inaccessible format (a mailing list).
                The rules do appear to be mentioned in the documentation, so they're not exactly "create on the whim", but the documentation....Ooof, there's a lot of it and it's all over the place.

The documentation: https://docs.kernel.org/process/index.html

Comment

imo the whole mailing list thing severely raises the bar on how accessible Linux is to new developers who wish to contribute.
                  One should ask the question if we really want code in the kernel from people that are to incompetent to use a simple mailing list. Their code probably consists of snippets from stackoverflow and some brand new AI code generator.

Comment

Originally posted by Anux View Post
                    One should ask the question if we really want code in the kernel from people that are to incompetent to use a simple mailing list. Their code probably consists of snippets from stackoverflow and some brand new AI code generator.
                    Right. Consider that a technical interview, yes, there are false negatives, but the traffic is so big that it mostly weeds out the described.

Comment

Originally posted by Anux View Post
                      Gitlab is used by freedesktop.org: that means Xorg, Wayland and ... Linux GPU drivers which are considered by many the most complex piece of code for modern operating systems.

Looks like you believe those are developed by wannabe developers submitting crap AI generated code.

Comment

Working...
                      X