Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zhark View Post
    Short version: No

Long version: To believe in something without *any* evidence to support it, to the point that some are willing to kill, mutilate and torture (war) is a bad thing for a given person, and for the world in general. Even if one doesn't participate or condone these actions, one still is a (however small) part of the movement legitimizing it. And what exactly makes christians, muslims, scientologists, mormons, or others so sure that exactly their version of the Truth(tm) is true (after all, a staggering portion of believers inherits their beliefs from their parents)?
    Argh... I so badly want to join in on the flaming (which I admittedly kind of started)... But yeah, that's just not gonna lead anywhere as Darkfire Fox already pointed out.
    Last edited by Zhick; 06 July 2009, 03:20 AM.

Comment

Short version: No

Long version: To believe in something without *any* evidence to support it, to the point that some are willing to kill, mutilate and torture (war) is a bad thing for a given person, and for the world in general. Even if one doesn't participate or condone these actions, one still is a (however small) part of the movement legitimizing it. And what exactly makes christians, muslims, scientologists, mormons, or others so sure that exactly their version of the Truth(tm) is true (after all, a staggering portion of believers inherits their beliefs from their parents)?
      To do a thing you have to believe what you're doing is correct, smart, useful, good... If you want evidences you've got to be a Christian (usually), but faith, no evidences, matters when comes to religions. Atheists have very limited view of the world and they believe there's no God. Your examples concern mainly fanatics which aren't real Muslims, but just people who misinterpreted Koran (or they just use it for some politics reasons). Btw. those examples you gave can concern single persons from each group etc. Many people believed when they becomed adult, so your last sentece is really a flamebyte.

P.S. The Bible which is very reliable historic source may be evidence.
      Last edited by kraftman; 06 July 2009, 04:50 AM.

Comment

heheh...
        I'll go download some software illegaly then to make up my loss.
        $10 is a hard-earning on my country

and I agree with deanjo. God IS close source.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
          To do a thing you have to believe what you're doing is correct, smart, useful, good... If you want evidences you've got to be a Christian (usually), but faith, no evidences, matters when comes to religions. Atheists have very limited view of the world and they believe there's no God. Your examples concern mainly fanatics which aren't real Muslims, but just people who misinterpreted Koran (or they just use it for some politics reasons). Btw. those examples you gave can concern single persons from each group etc. Many people believed when they becomed adult, so your last sentece is really a flamebyte.

Well, if god, whatever that term exactly means (a person? creature? consciousness?), existed and would only allow those that either Christians, or maybe Muslims, whatever, to enter the next part of the game and would send the others to, let's call it hell. Then I wouldn't want to accept or have anything to do with that thing you call god.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
            Well, if god, whatever that term exactly means (a person? creature? consciousness?), existed and would only allow those that either Christians, or maybe Muslims, whatever, to enter the next part of the game and would send the others to, let's call it hell. Then I wouldn't want to accept or have anything to do with that thing you call god.
            It's not exactly like this. He is always the first who calls you, faith is a gift not our merit. I believe we must look for Him and be open to really meet Him. If someone (for example tribal from forgotten village) believes sun or wind is a God, because (and) he never heard of Christianity he doesn't go to hell if he's a good man. There are many ways I think, but Christianity is a height. I am a Christian, so that's what I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by t.s. View Post
              God IS close source.
              God is a binary blob. There are 10 types of people in this world; those who understand binary and those who do not.

Comment

We are all atheists, non-believers only go one god further than the rest

I also have to add that I respect the opinions, and right to have them, of my fellow men/women. I don't want to flame, only to express my view of the matter.
                Last edited by zhark; 06 July 2009, 07:40 PM.

Comment

We are all atheists, non-believers only go one god further than the rest
                  Atheists are those who don't believe in God, so not everyone (I suppose you just assumed there's no God). However your faith must be really strong You don't base on anything, science isn't helpfull either, because it can't in any way proof God doesn't exist.
                  Last edited by kraftman; 07 July 2009, 03:18 AM.

Comment

God has no need for earthly money. He has much better things to do than commit petty theft.

Comment

Atheists are those who don't believe in God, so not everyone (I suppose you just assumed there's no God). However your faith must be really strong You don't base on anything, science isn't helpfull either, because it can't in any way proof God doesn't exist.
                      Proof God exists: "Assuredly that, than which nothing greater can be conceived, cannot exist in the understanding alone. For, suppose it exists in the understanding alone: then it can be conceived to exist in reality; which is greater. Therefore, if that, than which nothing greater can be conceived, exists in the understanding alone, the very being, than which nothing greater can be conceived, is one, than which a greater can be conceived. But obviously this is impossible. Hence there is no doubt that there exists a being, than which nothing greater can be conceived, and it exists both in the understanding and in reality."

Comment

Working...
                      X