Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Limiting IO_uring Use Due To Security Vulnerabilities

Phoronix: Google Limiting IO_uring Use Due To Security Vulnerabilities

While IO_uring has been one of the greatest Linux kernel innovations in recent years for helping to deliver more performant and efficient I/O, it's also been home to various security vulnerabilities. Due to ongoing security issues, this interface for asynchronous I/O is being restricted or outright disabled across Google products...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This YouTuber mentioned a couple of time the sheer number of vulnerabilities in their OpenSource podcasts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9kLjDUtduI

Comment

IO_uring is not safe?

Comment

Probably not inherently unsafe, just newer and less hardened.

Comment

One of the biggest problems of io_uring that is only touched in the article is that it's impossible to apply fine-grained seccomp filters to it. It's basically all or nothing, because the actual functionality is opaque to BPF.

Comment

io_uring is both a large new attack surface, and hooking into other parts of the kernel in pretty novel ways. It's not inherently less secure but it's replacing a lot of code that has had a lot of years to have the bugs shaken out.

Also as someone mentioned it doesn't have support for BPF sandboxing but there's no fundamental reason that can't be added. It will just take some careful work to get the API right.

Comment

Google has paid out around 1 million USD worth of IO_uring vulnerabilities from its rewards program.
              can someone remind me how much google makes a year?

perhaps the real issue is they haven't paid enough for the return they get

Comment

You know OpenBSD gets made fun of a lot whenever Michael benchmarks it for coming in dead last for not having features like IO_uring BUT because they are less aggressive in performance optimizations they are more secure. I've found OpenBSD to be plenty fast enough for web browsing, coding, and other tasks on an 8 core ZEN 2 processor. It feels about the same speed as Windows 10 did on it if not faster. I haven't tried Linux on this particular machine. Only pinch point is I can't figure out how to get the audio to work!

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
                  You know OpenBSD gets made fun of a lot whenever Michael benchmarks it for coming in dead last for not having features like IO_uring BUT because they are less aggressive in performance optimizations they are more secure. I've found OpenBSD to be plenty fast enough for web browsing, coding, and other tasks on an 8 core ZEN 2 processor. It feels about the same speed as Windows 10 did on it if not faster. I haven't tried Linux on this particular machine. Only pinch point is I can't figure out how to get the audio to work!
                  It's not more secure, it's just no one gives a damn about it. No one uses it in the wild so no hackers are interested in hacking it.

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
                    can someone remind me how much google makes a year?

perhaps the real issue is they haven't paid enough for the return they get

In 2022, Google generated over $282 billion in revenue. This was an increase of 9.78% from 2021.​

Comment

Working...
                    X