X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• deanjo
    replied
    Originally posted by Hephasteus View Post
    Hackintoshes are making HUGE moves in market share. Much much more than any other OS. It's really just a derivative of unix so people are using work done on linux and hacking it up to work with tons of stuff. Ubuntu 9.04 and if Fedora can do a decent Leonidas will take more and more market share. Windows 7 is all hype and sunshine right now. It'll canabilize XP at maybe higher rates than OSx and linux but it'll still be canabilization. Doubt it can beat the march to OSX though. The recession will make large moves in windows market to free software and the more free software people have under windows the more groundwork is layed for people to jump ship.

Microsoft just does not have the resources to secure an OS. Compare microsfts dozen guys looking at security loopholes to the thousands of eyes and thousands of minds under linux and it becomes clear that security will keep driving more and more people to linux.
    Don't forget the HUGE number of machines that can't get through the great firewalls of China and the likes where Windows piracy runs rampant.

Leave a comment:

• Hephasteus
    replied
    Hackintoshes are making HUGE moves in market share. Much much more than any other OS. It's really just a derivative of unix so people are using work done on linux and hacking it up to work with tons of stuff. Ubuntu 9.04 and if Fedora can do a decent Leonidas will take more and more market share. Windows 7 is all hype and sunshine right now. It'll canabilize XP at maybe higher rates than OSx and linux but it'll still be canabilization. Doubt it can beat the march to OSX though. The recession will make large moves in windows market to free software and the more free software people have under windows the more groundwork is layed for people to jump ship.

Microsoft just does not have the resources to secure an OS. Compare microsfts dozen guys looking at security loopholes to the thousands of eyes and thousands of minds under linux and it becomes clear that security will keep driving more and more people to linux.

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    Originally posted by RealNC View Post
    I don't disagree. It's just that my personal experience results in different market share About 20% of my real-life friends use Linux.
    Most of my friends have off-road 4x4s and lots of guns, but I don't think I can generalize that to the rest of the population either

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    Originally posted by RealNC View Post
    I don't disagree. It's just that my personal experience results in different market share About 20% of my real-life friends use Linux.

Another thing I was thinking about is how many people browse the web from their job? Probably countless (everyone I know does ). Are those "desktop" PCs? I'd rather count them as workstations.
    How many PC's are also blocked at work from connecting to the internet all together? I know of quite a few companies that block any external net access all together.

Leave a comment:

• KDesk
    replied
    Here it says that Linux has 2% http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    Watch that number get pummeled down with Win 7 and OS X 10.6 being released in the near future. The fear of upgrading to it is not nearly as great as it was when Vista came out.

Leave a comment:

• RealNC
    replied

Another thing I was thinking about is how many people browse the web from their job? Probably countless (everyone I know does ). Are those "desktop" PCs? I'd rather count them as workstations.

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    D'oh !!

Sorry about that.

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    Doesn't the same thing probably apply to all the OSes ? The stats don't count Windows or MacOS systems not used for web surfing either.
    Ya it does bridgeman but you would be bringing common sense to a linux penetration thread.

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    Doesn't the same thing probably apply to all the OSes ? The stats don't count Windows or MacOS systems not used for web surfing either.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X