X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ferry
    replied
    Originally posted by intelfx View Post

Because they only <3 linux in the same sense as I <3 a good steak.

WSL is indeed a perfectly executed EEE scheme by Microsoft. And there is nothing the Linux community can do.
    Way ahead.

WSL2 is a like a VM with limitations. On linux we have Virtualbox running a real Windows.

Leave a comment:

• mSparks
    replied
    Originally posted by blacknova View Post
    But a lot of other software types - like games, office software, desktop utilities and even mobile applications are still developed on Windows and for Windows.
    Really?
    I can't name one such launch from the last decade (not made by microsoft)

Leave a comment:

• blacknova
    replied
    Originally posted by mSparks View Post

Just a thought,
    But perhaps if Microsoft had put as much effort into making that the case rather than spending a fortune on marketing pretending it was the case.
    Windows would be in billions of people pockets and running all the internet infrastructure (including Microsofts) rather than Linux.

And windows distributors wouldn't need to put as much effort into WSL now in order to try and stay relevant.

Instead Windows won the desktop war but lost the entire market for application development.

Having watched a windows fantatic try and get various tool chains up an running on WSL and eventually needing to reinstall his entire OS, I really don't think this is going to do much for HP other than increase the cost of supporting windows workstation users.
    They actually haven't. At most they lost cloud and web apps development (and not completely even). But a lot of other software types - like games, office software, desktop utilities and even mobile applications are still developed on Windows and for Windows.

Leave a comment:

• mSparks
    replied
    Originally posted by Turbine View Post

Linux doesn't respect the CPU frequencies in bios on a desktop, has poor thermal control on laptop and has very poor legacy Linux app compatibility.
    Just a thought,
    But perhaps if Microsoft had put as much effort into making that the case rather than spending a fortune on marketing pretending it was the case.
    Windows would be in billions of people pockets and running all the internet infrastructure (including Microsofts) rather than Linux.

And windows distributors wouldn't need to put as much effort into WSL now in order to try and stay relevant.

Instead Windows won the desktop war but lost the entire market for application development.

Having watched a windows fantatic try and get various tool chains up an running on WSL and eventually needing to reinstall his entire OS, I really don't think this is going to do much for HP other than increase the cost of supporting windows workstation users.
    Last edited by mSparks; 10 November 2021, 09:31 AM.

Leave a comment:

• boboviz
    replied
    MS seems to bet a lot on WLS.
    For example, the recent Visual Studio 2022 has native interface to WSL2 (to test code on a linux machine) for C++.
    Last edited by boboviz; 10 November 2021, 07:10 AM.

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    What I would rather see from HP is support for Coreboot.
    They already seem to use fwupd/LVFS, but I would like to see it supported on more models.

Leave a comment:

• cynic
    replied
    Originally posted by Templar82 View Post

Hardly, it's a compatibility layer that is dependant on the use of an actual Linux Distro.
    I don't see how they can create any issues with WSL that would stop people from being able to use a regularly installed distro.
    They have their own distro (https://github.com/microsoft/CBL-Mariner).
    It's just a matter of time for it to become a fully usable independent one.

Leave a comment:

• piotrj3
    replied
    Originally posted by middy View Post
    if microsoft really <3 linux like they claim, then why don't they contribute to wine? the bulk of their contributions have been making running linux things, including linux itself, on windows easier. if they want to do that, then that's fine, but it be nice if they also helped make running windows things on linux, easier.
    Because by law they can't. WINE in many aspects is like clean room implementation - people never saw orginal source code and reimplement stuff on their own. The moment someone who saw orginal source code of windows starts working on WINE, you break it.

Leave a comment:

• CochainComplex
    replied
    I fear that one day our IT-Department will come to the conclusion that Linux machines are forbidden and Linuxusers should switch to use WSL ....

Leave a comment:

• Nth_man
    replied
    > In the corporate world (on the business/operational side), I have yet to see a single company not using Windows [...]

I have to say that, in the corporate world, I have yet to see a single company not using Linux in any computer. That includes servers, phones, tablets, routers, etc.
    Last edited by Nth_man; 10 November 2021, 05:40 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X