X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kgonzales
    replied
    Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

Ohh yes please. A revert really would be nice since Red Hat flared up on the desktop like a nasty rash. I remember many things working very similar since the Linux desktop has barely progressed in all these years.

Those people find it very easy to do so. I am sure you understand there are many UNIX-like platforms around with very minimal interaction with Red Hat. And they will remain doing so long after Red Hat has been completely absorbed by IBM and replaced.

You should perhaps consider taking Red Hat off that little pedestal you have placed it on. It looks silly.
    Stop using all Red Hat created source code in the projects you use today. Full stop. Until you do, your opinions on Red Hat are worthless.

Leave a comment:

• kgonzales
    replied
    Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
    kgonzales Most peoples' biggest dislike about Red Hat is a lot of their contributions are WYSIWYG and prominent (what you see is what you get). How they've basically spearheaded GNOME, GTK, systemd, AudioSystem, and more. The stuff they do is the front and center stuff we discuss daily; flashy desktops as well as commonly used terminal tools.

Personally, I like some of what they do and I dislike other areas. I've never been the biggest fan of GTK or GNOME since the Dawn of the Third Era. The GNOME Second Era is what converted me from Win2K ASE. I mention my personal opinion because GNOME is the most used (from funded) distribution default desktop. Red Hat basically gets a lot of flack because, well, you can't get any more front and center than the desktop environment. From there, well, what is more front and center aside from a user's shell of choice? That's right. systemd.

When they make two of the most prominent Linux features they're a prime target for criticism. Especially two things with as much debate and opinion like the Desktop Environment and Initialization Management System. That should be a given regardless of who they are, who owns them, etc.
    I completely understand having opinions are open source. You can even have debates about it. But unless you are contributing time and money to the projects in question, or working to do something different, your opinion just doesn't matter.

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Ohh yes please.
    lol, he said it's your job. nobody is going to do your job for you
    I am sure you understand there are many UNIX-like platforms around with very minimal interaction with Red Hat. And they will remain doing so long after Red Hat has been completely absorbed by IBM and replaced.
    i am sure you don't understand all those platforms will be dissolved long before redhat is replaced

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
    I am not a "birdie lover". The anti-birdie posts we remove (most of them from Volta)
    maybe you are volta hater then?

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by drake23 View Post
    Using the great Gnome, how can I disable vsync in Gnome Shell? I've always wandered why Gnome is so stuttery in my PC, then I discovered disabling vsync in Cinnamon makes it super smooth. So how do I accomplish that in Gnome?
    i guess it's a cinnamon bug. i don't have stuttering in gnome and disabling vsync is not a proper solution. what distro/hardware/driver do you use?

Leave a comment:

• xeekei
    replied
    Originally posted by Qaridarium
    IBM/Redhat should buy AMD and then make sure linux works best with -AMD gpus...
    Buying AMD? This isn't 2012. AMD is too expensive.

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by sophisticles View Post

What if Linus said, on video, that Linux on the desktop sucks? How would you feel then?

Linus Torvalds on why desktop Linux sucks - YouTube
    linus basically said "use flatpaks". that's what redhat does. this video is recent repost of some very old btw. and if people do something which is clearly forbidden by standard, that's their bug(but sometimes you have incentive to workaround other people bugs)
    Last edited by pal666; 21 May 2021, 05:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by Mez' View Post
    If other players had RH financial means, I believe the ease of use would have improved tenfold.
    so in your imaginary world redhat makes stuff which is hard to use, that's why everyone is paying them money so they have huge financial means to do even more harm?
    stop for a second and think, maybe everyone is paying money because it's easy to use and the only crazy one is you?

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Oh so you assume only the less experienced are the ones who dislike Red Hat? And yet at the same time people have been avoiding Red Hat as a company for decades. Does that not seem like a contradiction?
    people believe in fairytales for thousands of years, being consistently dumb doesn't make you experienced scientist
    Red Hat could just as easily have leeched on other operating systems. It still would not have made them a company many people would want to engage with.
    last time i checked their growth, many people did want to engage them. i wonder who are more numerous - redhat haters or flatearthers

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by Mez' View Post
    Without Red Hat, Linux as a whole would be far more pragmatic and user oriented. It might even have overcome at least MacOS
    and if you ask santa claus and behave properly, it might even overcome windows.
    grow up, you have linuxes without redhat and you have non-linuxes without redat. go use them and stop bothering normal people

Leave a comment:

Working...
X