X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tildearrow
    replied
    Originally posted by Qaridarium

the moderators are some kind of Birdie lovers. why? because for every birdie post they delete 10 anti-birdie posts.
    I am not a "birdie lover". The anti-birdie posts we remove (most of them from Volta) are to prevent any conflict from escalating further.

I have restored your counter-birdie posts, but if birdie decides to reply, the thread is ruined...
    Last edited by tildearrow; 21 May 2021, 02:48 PM.

Leave a comment:

• drake23
    replied
    Using the great Gnome, how can I disable vsync in Gnome Shell? I've always wandered why Gnome is so stuttery in my PC, then I discovered disabling vsync in Cinnamon makes it super smooth. So how do I accomplish that in Gnome?

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Did you just run out of reasons to call Red Hat evil? ;p
    You really need to read that post again. They're listing the (stupid) reasons other people give for not liking Red Hat. Because reasons is supposed to just be a funny answer.

Edit: Post number 420 Times 10

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    kgonzales Most peoples' biggest dislike about Red Hat is a lot of their contributions are WYSIWYG and prominent (what you see is what you get). How they've basically spearheaded GNOME, GTK, systemd, AudioSystem, and more. The stuff they do is the front and center stuff we discuss daily; flashy desktops as well as commonly used terminal tools.

Personally, I like some of what they do and I dislike other areas. I've never been the biggest fan of GTK or GNOME since the Dawn of the Third Era. The GNOME Second Era is what converted me from Win2K ASE. I mention my personal opinion because GNOME is the most used (from funded) distribution default desktop. Red Hat basically gets a lot of flack because, well, you can't get any more front and center than the desktop environment. From there, well, what is more front and center aside from a user's shell of choice? That's right. systemd.

When they make two of the most prominent Linux features they're a prime target for criticism. Especially two things with as much debate and opinion like the Desktop Environment and Initialization Management System. That should be a given regardless of who they are, who owns them, etc.

Leave a comment:

• dekernel
    replied
    Originally posted by sophisticles View Post

What if Linus said, on video, that Linux on the desktop sucks? How would you feel then?

Linus Torvalds on why desktop Linux sucks - YouTube
    Did you actually watch the video? He was talking about how poor the application packaging world is regarding all the distributions and not just Red Hat. Heck, he trashed Debian worse than others in my opinion. The part is that he even admits he uses the very distro that Red Hat makes.

Leave a comment:

• furtadopires
    replied
    Originally posted by jacob View Post

I suggest you look up "irony" in a dictionary
    I laugh about how he totally missed you point, I blame language barriers

Leave a comment:

• kgonzales
    replied
    Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
    What if Linus said, on video, that Linux on the desktop sucks? How would you feel then?

Linus Torvalds on why desktop Linux sucks - YouTube
    And sadly, I agree with him. Linus tells it like he sees it.

Leave a comment:

• kgonzales
    replied
    Originally posted by Mez' View Post
    I was only focusing on user friendliness, and I disagree that Red Hat really helps the Linux ecosystem in that specific aspect. Basically everything Red Hat comes up with feels less user friendly and harder to use (except, say, pulseaudio then pipewire).
    I disagree with this. Their tools often improved user friendliness and made it easier to use. Since we are just talking about feels and opinions, which are both equally valid, its all canceled out.

If it were not for other players and their pragmatism to rock the RH boat and have them remember what users actually want, Linux usage would fall down to (even more) negligible point percentages. If other players had RH financial means, I believe the ease of use would have improved tenfold.
    What other players? Please tell me about the other players who are rocking the boat. I'll get my popcorn.

Leave a comment:

• kgonzales
    replied
    Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
    Oh so you assume only the less experienced are the ones who dislike Red Hat? And yet at the same time people have been avoiding Red Hat as a company for decades. Does that not seem like a contradiction?
    No I acknowledge that there are stupid ignorant people who have been around open source for a long time as well who like to look cool talking shit about Red Hat.

Those people should back out all the Red Hat contributions to open source from their desktop and server platforms to avoid them completely. Otherwise those people are full of shit.

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
    Red Hat could just as easily have leeched on other operating systems. It still would not have made them a company many people would want to engage with.
    Red Hat could just as easily have contributed on other operating systems. I would not have made Linux to powerhouse it is today. FIFY

Leave a comment:

• kgonzales
    replied
    Without Red Hat, Linux as a whole would be far more pragmatic and user oriented. It might even have overcome at least MacOS.
    It would not be less interesting in any way, it would be different. Probably for good.
    Then revert all the Red Hat contributions of code in your Linux systems, so that you can get that pragmatic and user oriented experience. Ohwait, without those contributions most of your stuff doesn't work? Shame.

You literally have no idea what you are talking about here.

Except they really don't.
    The people that use Red Hat products disagree with you.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X