Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's Easy To Help Test Linux Kernel Stable Release Candidates

Phoronix: It's Easy To Help Test Linux Kernel Stable Release Candidates

Stemming from the attention shined on the matter of uncertainty how long the Linux 5.10 LTS kernel will be maintained due to a current lack of committed support, stable maintainer Greg Kroah-Hartman penned a new blog post outlining the (easy) process of testing new kernel release candidates and simply reporting the feedback...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

No problem. There are many kernels to choose from.

This is just companies being lazy.

Comment

no response yet from the company that originally asked this question...
      The company in question for that original thread/complaint over Linux 5.10 LTS support length was an engineer from Broadcom
      A $24BLN company with 19,000 employees needs longer support for the LTS version of (arguably) the most used kernel in the world which is free and open source, but when asked to step up they don't even bother to respond ? Not even a "My bad" kinda response, just silence ?
      I would like to be able to say that I'm shocked, but honestly…

Comment

Broadcom - "Great, what do you need me for?"

That pretty much sums up what I think of that company. Vertical bag of dicks that even make Nvidia look good.

Comment

Maybe making stable rcs a bit more visible would be a good start, I didn't even know they were a thing until today.

Comment

Originally posted by archkde View Post
            Maybe making stable rcs a bit more visible would be a good start, I didn't even know they were a thing until today.
            You need to monitor the kernel list, and you typically have a short timescale in which to build it and report back, perhaps a day or two. In the past, ISTR Greg pre-announced the next supported (both current and LTS) kernels in the 000 of NNN patches, and the time by which reports had to be made. I think that nowadays he has started to label them as -rc1 because more people have found issues on certain items (typically, missed dependant patches on less-common hardware). But the process has not really changed. Usually there is only one rc for a stable kernel.

Comment

Working...
            X