Microsoft Engineer Proposes "TRAMPFD" For Improving Linux Security

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This gave me a weird impression:
    "In this case, the attack surface is the context buffer. A hacker may attack an application with a vulnerability and may be able to modify the context buffer. So, when the register or stack context is set for a trampoline, the values may have been tampered with. From an attack surface perspective, this is similar to Trampoline Emulation. But with trampfd, user code can retrieve a trampoline's context from the kernel and add defensive checks to see if the context has been tampered with."

I'm completely out of my depth here, but does this mean each and every app using trampolines has to take protective measures against outside tampering for the proposal to be safe?

Also, how does it cover a scenario where the app invoking a tampered trampoline is actually malicious in nature? Is it possible this tampering could provide access to info outside the context of the malicious app, or is this boundary already already enforced otherwise?

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

common I did ..... EEE
      So you did, my mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

well they have money and millions of stupid people following them ... now we are back on topic ....TRUMPFD
        I am offended and feel very unsafe that they use the string “tramp” in the name.
        this is a totally misogynistic, patriarchical, slut-shaming, anti-human, anti-sex worker, anti-womxn, white supremacist and all around not nice..
        where are the CoC enforcers?

i need my safe space, coloring books and puppies..

Comment

Working...
        X